• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Fulltone Clyde Question/Help

pennylink

I've been using a Fulltone Clyde Standard on my board for a while and although I like the feel, sweep and tone when playing clean, it's very unpredictable with overdriven tones. It can get bass-heavy or too loud, and often doesn't have the vocal musicality I'm looking for, with the result being a muddy mess without clarity or definition. I've tried adjusting the internal trimpot but that didn't seem to help and have used both PP2 power and battery power with the same outcome. I use it first in line on my board (see chain in my signature).

Would a Clyde Deluxe with its input level control and booster/buffer fix these issues? Any other suggestions?

justnick

Supporting Member - Platinum
The newer standards also have the switchable "fuzz friendly" buffer. Personally I didn't find it to make a huge difference with my fuzzes, but it did help some.

I use a regular standard (without the buffer) and just make the weirdness work for me. It sounds so good clean I don't mind that it's not the greatest with dirt.

n

pennylink

Thanks, justnick. At least I'm not the only one who's hearing things that way :) I use a DAM Drag'n'Fly for fuzz, which is supposed to be wah friendly...

Rumors of War

Silver Supporting Member
I put the FoxRox buffer in my Deluxe and it made a huge difference with germanium fuzzes. Sounds the same with my muff and dirt pedals, which has never bothered me. The Clyde Deluxe ended my search for wahs two years ago and I went through many to get there FWIW.

pennylink

I put the FoxRox buffer in my Deluxe and it made a huge difference with germanium fuzzes. Sounds the same with my muff and dirt pedals, which has never bothered me. The Clyde Deluxe ended my search for wahs two years ago and I went through many to get there FWIW.
Is the FoxRox buffer different than the buffer that comes with the Deluxe then?

Jim Collins

Nearly everything I've ever read about using wah and OD/distortion tells me to put the wah before the OD/distortion. No matter what wah and/or OD/distortion I have ever used, this arrangement has never worked for me. I have always had much better luck putting the OD/distortion before the wah.

Back when I used a Fulltone Clyde, I found that it worked a lot better with an non-alkaline battery that was a bit run down, or with a power supply that dropped the voltage to about 7.5VDC.

JRC4558Dude

The newer standards also have the switchable "fuzz friendly" buffer.
The buffer circuit only comes in the Deluxe Clyde, not the Standard. When the new buffer was announced, Fulltone mentioned that it might be availble one day as a retrofit for for older Clydes, but there has been any news on that since then.

According to Fulltone, it's a propietary design, and not a straight copy of the Foxrox circuit:

"Wah wah's and Hi-Gain amps/pedals don't work together well.... until now, that is. The solution is the new Fulltone Clyde Booster/Buffer, offering up to 20db clean boost and a "Fuzz-Friendly" circuit that (most importantly) doesn't alter the wah's original sound. All the ones I've tried added harsh treble so I developed one that doesn't. All Clyde Deluxe wah's shipping after today come with this built in switchable Booster/Fuzz-Friendly circuit while still retaining the TrueBypass that Fulltone has always been famous for."

I tried out the current Clyde Deluxe a few weeks ago, and I really liked it. The buffer worked just a advertised, and it sounded great running into a FUlltone '69 fuzz. I actually didn't care for the Deluxe's "Wacked" or "Shaft" modes, but I think the fuzz buffer and input gain control are reason enough for me to replace my old white Fulltone Clyde.

justnick

Supporting Member - Platinum
Actually the buffer is now also in the Clyde Standard...

I played through one a couple months ago.

It's kind of odd: Fulltone stated this for a while on their website but then changed the copy. I'm not sure if that means they stopped making standards with the buffer, or they didn't want to undercut sales of the non-buffer models, or what.

Personally I prefer my standard with no buffer. Takes up less space on the board without the knob and I didn't find the buffer do do much for me anyway.

n

Trending Topics