Fulltone clyde wah buffer knob and active pickups?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by eclipseall, Apr 21, 2015.

1. eclipseall

eclipseall Member

I have the regular standar clyde wah.
    I was wodering if it would be worth upgrading to the new deluxe model because of the buffer which makes the wah work better with high giain.

The thing is I use EMG active pickuos, low impedence signal is feeding the wah anyways. Would that make the buffer feature redundant?

2. leftycajun

leftycajun Member

I think the buffer is there to make the wah play nice with any hi-gain stuff that may come after it in your signal chain, like a fuzz. Especially a fuzz.

3. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

^ yup - the buffer in the Clyde sits on the output side of the wah circuit, helping it not get swamped by whatever is following it. This is especially useful when there's a fuzz face after the wah, since its low input impedance can really mess with the wah effect. The signal going into the wah being low impedance (due to the EMG's) does not matter.

4. eclipseall

eclipseall Member

The standard I have with no buffer added sounds great with metal distortion.

Maybe the new ones are made with the buffer for fuzzes only, yet the manual says that also high gain amps and pedals.

Not sure why this is but the regular one with no buffer works fine with active pickups and metal distortions.

I don't uses fuzz so I can't comment on that.

Really want to try the one with the buffer just to see if it makes a difference.