Fulltone Distortion Pro

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by elektroglide, Jun 17, 2008.

1. elektroglide

elektroglide Member

what's the score with this fulltone pedal?

any satisfied/dissatisfied users out there?

2. jonlarsen002

jonlarsen002 Member

hard to get a good sound out of it.

3. funkycam

funkycam Member

I like a lot of the fulltone pedals, but not this one.
    I had v1 & it was both muddy & harsh... quite an achievement!
    Reports I recall on the web were:
    most folks thought it was overhyped by fuller, most could not any tones they liked, but a couple of guys thought they got instant eric johnson.
    ymmv

4. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

tried for about a week and gave up. couldn't find a tone that i liked. and it's got all those knobs.

5. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

I still have one on my Board.I use it for a different Rhythm texture or just rude as hell solo's.But some nights I don't even touch it,depends on my amp volumes..Mine was a Gift..Still can't get over how small it is.

6. softclipper

softclipper Member

This pedal is not to be used with a really clean channel or at bedroom volumes, it needs to be helped by hot tubes with not too much gain coming from the distortion pot. It's a kind of fuzzy overdrive that works well with crunchy channels, IMO. In this way EJ tones are not too much difficult to get. As a single stand alone unit to get all the gain from the pedal it does not work the same.

7. eclipseall

eclipseall Member

I think its a great pedal. It has a very unique personality. I like it because it dwells in a distortion territory that not many pedals are capable of doing. It sits on that edge were both metal and classic rock sounds sound equally as good. So for the purists its understandable that they don't like it. Its too heavy for the light guys and too light for the heavy guys. Ive used mine to play these two types of sounds and Ive been really happy with it. I run a 6 band eq after it too further shape the sound. I have one on my board next to a Fulltone OCD and a Fulltone GT 500.

8. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

You must use this pedal with single coils, ONLY SINGLE COILS, did you hear me? ONLY SINGLE COILS.:banana
    I had this pedal when I had a Les Paul, I could not get a usable tone out of hit. With a Strat or tele it sounded good. It sounded a lot better when a Bad Monkey was juicing it.

I think think this pedal gets a bad rap but if used correctly it can sound really good. Like most Fulltone pedals it will not sound good at bedroom levels. It needs to be opened up, WAY up to get the most out of it. Oh, and another thing, ONLY SINGLE COILS.

9. tapeup

tapeup Butterscotch Supt. Member Gold Supporting Member

I originally sought one out because I saw two people playing a Distortion Pro. Mike Pritzl from The Violet Burning, and Chris Walla from Death Cab had one along with his Full-Drive 2. I figured if Chris was using one, how bad could it be? I had also heard rumors that you could get that Tom Sholz/Boston-style guitar tone out of it. Well, I got one, but unfortunately I loaned it out before spending a lot of time with it, so I'll have to comment when I get it back and can play it for the first time in a long while. I do like the small footprint of it, and the battery access door on it though, I do remember that!

10. dsl

dsl Member

True. I found it sounded best with single coils but...

From the Distortion Pro Manual:

Trimmer 1: regulates the amount of gain of the first stage in the circuit - rotating this trimmer CCW
    increases the gain. (increasing this setting may cause additional noise and/or hiss)

If you are using Humbuckers or higher-gained pickups you may want to reduce the amount of gain here by
    turning it slightly CW if more clarity and definition is desired. (no more the 1/8 turn).

:banana

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  11. Sikor

Sikor Member

I was very unimpressed with it :(
    I have bought it and sold it shortly after that and never regret it.
    I love OCD thought :AOK

12. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

There's a few pedals Fulltone makes which should be immediately discontinued, the Distortion Pro is one of them, the others are the GT-500, and 70's fuzz...terrible executions from an otherwise fine company overall.

13. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

I love my Distortion Pro. It sure has a bit of a bad reputation, though. However, many of the observations posted here so far are pretty accurate. It does take a fair bit of dialing in. There are many cool tones available, but many awful ones as well. It is most definitely NOT for playing through a clean amp at bedroom levels. Unfortunately, i found this out the hard way. Sounded terrific at moderate to high volume when i was in the music store, but at "around-the-house" volume is sounds really thin and gutless. Nowadays, i ALWAYS try out a pedal at the lowest possible volume to check if it sounds good. I've also found that it sounds awful with P90s and humbuckers, although i've never tried messing with the internal trimmer. If you want a thick, fat tone out of the bridge pickup on your Strat, the Distortion Pro is terrific. The Gain and "Saturation" controls are interactive, and you can get a wide variety of distorted tones by playing with these two controls. It's a bit of an oddball pedal, but I'm glad I bought one.

14. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

dude my bedroom volume is more than they allow at most clubs, no excuses. single cols, humbuckers, doesn't matter. the thing sounded horrible.

15. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member

Got one of the first ones. Struggled with it, tried hard to like it. Just never cut through a mix very well. Tried different guitars, amps, internal trim settings. And Mike Fuller was kind enough to send me an upgrade for the chip at no cost. Finally sold it.
    I also didn't love my Keeley modded Blues Driver, so maybe that says something about where I'm coming from.

16. trwigg

trwigg Member

If I'm not mistaken I gave mine away on the "Free" thread here on TGP about a year ago, guess that says it all!

17. Catoogie

Catoogie Senior Member

Kenny Greenberg likes 'em!

18. eclipseall

eclipseall Member

This is WRONG! I use mine with EMGs (81, 85 and 60) and it sounds amazing.

19. drgonzoguitar

drgonzoguitar Member

I know I'm digging up an old thread, but I love this pedal. I picked one up a couple of weeks ago and it now has a solid part on my board. It took a bit of time to adjust the trimmers, but it sounds great with my strat and tele (which have humbucker bridge pickups (Dimarzio/Joe Barden).

My amp has a bit of breakup going on, which is key to this pedal. I really dig the almost Marshall-y JTM45 like tones I can get out of it. To send it lead land, I push it with a clean boost. It is also dead quiet. I really like this pedal. I have a modded BOSS BD-2 for my more controlled overdrive tones.

Anyone else using this pedal? Why or why not?

20. FaselBaby

FaselBaby Member

I have gotten some good sounds out of mine. I use a 62 RI strat into a Matchless and sometimes the pickups can be harsh and biting. It definately took some dialing in but a found a fat Les Paul - Marshall tone in the Distortion Pro.

But it does say on Fulltones site that this pedal was not meant for anything except single coils. So it probably sounds bad with humbuckers.