Fulltone Drive Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jpagey, Jan 18, 2020.

1. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

Please avoid the hate comments....

I have a Mas Malo I just got and love and have owned a ‘97 Orange Fulldrive II for 23 years. Great pedals.

I didn’t care for the OCD.

I am wondering what else is out there that sounds good...Catalyst, Plimsoul, Robin Trower, etc....

thanks in advance

James and Gaheba like this.
  2. Ranster44

Ranster44 Member

Plimsoul and GT 500 are two of my main go to pedals for rock

jpagey and Gaheba like this.
  3. Gaheba

Gaheba Member

I intend to spring for a Mas Maslo later in the year.
    I've liked every Fulltone drive pedal I've had. Regret selling my old push-pull comp cut FD2 years ago.
    I currently have a Plimsoul, OCD GE, OCD v1.6, FD2 Mosfet, Secret Freq and 2B all mounted across two boards. FD2 V2 and FD1 sitting on the shelf waiting their turn. The Mosfet is my favourite of the Fulldrives. I find they all stack well together too. OCD works best for me as a boost, gain either off completely or kept pretty low.
    I'm not really into fuzz so haven't tried any of Fulltone's offerings on that side of things, but I do keep gassing somewhat for "69.

4. Johnny Fuzz

Johnny Fuzz Member

I currently have a Mas Malo, Catalyst, Fulldrive 1, OCD v2, Octafuzz, Soul Bender and a 70 Fuzz. I have previously had a Plimsoul and Secret Freq. They are all super fantastic, but I find the OCD v2 and Catalyst are probably the most interesting and unique ones.

Since you don’t have the Catalyst, I really recommend trying it. It does as it promises: clean boost, mild od and fuzz. I use it mostly as a boost, but sometimes I also max it out for a fuzzy sound. It is more versatile and transparent than the Mas Malo for example.

jpagey likes this.
  5. Gaheba

Gaheba Member

The Catalyst is the one Fulltone pedal I have been a bit leery of, I've always found user comments either negative, uninformative, and/or confusing, so I've never known what to make of it. Your comments are encouraging.
    What style/genre of music do you play?
    Do you find it worth having both the Mas Maslo and the Catalyst?

jpagey likes this.
  6. Snufkinoob

Snufkinoob Member

I've grown to really like the Full Drive 3 (the black one). The boost with the 'dynamics' control has replaced my compressor as a subtle, always-on effect. Not quite as good, or flexible as an actual comp, but good enough for my usage.

Not a huge fan of the comp-cut mode as some seem to be, but I do slightly prefer the pedal at 18v over 9v which seems quite common. Mine is pretty much in the 90's mode all the time for just a touch of dirt. The 'wide asymmetric' mode does a decent Rat impression but I already run a Rat for higher gain anyway.

It's quite dark a dark tone, even with the tone maxed out, which could be frustrating, but I really like it.

Doug59 likes this.
  7. strawberries

strawberries Member

I like the mas Malo a lot. A really good take on the nodded big muff thing. Can do Gilmour endless sustain without a compressor. Just add delay.

jpagey likes this.
  8. johnny q

johnny q Member

I love my Fulltone Fulldrive Mosfet. It works well in front of my Marshalls and all of my high gain amps. I never connected with the OCD or the Fat Boost. And I probably couldn't articulate why, just never really found a place for them.

jpagey likes this.
  9. stephen sawall

stephen sawall Member

Using a OCD V2, Fulldrive 2V2 and 3.
    What one I use depends on the amp and sound I'm going after.

I see he has a compressor and flanger coming out before long. Probably picking up a CS Ranger eventually.

10. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

I might be wrong, but I think the RTO is a tweaked OCD in HP mode.

I like the OCD, but oh boy all those versions?!? What are there now... nine total? :huh

11. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

Catalyst could turn bright and thin.

Plimsoul could turn spongy or fizzy.

Wanted to like them but turns out their sweet spots were rather narrow or non-existant.

12. Johnny Fuzz

Johnny Fuzz Member

Oh, definitely. I think the main difference between the Mas Malo and the Catalyst is that under the fingers the Mas Malo feels like a fuzz pedal (transistor-like) whereas the Catalyst feels more like an amp feels (tube-like). Also, the Mas Malo is capable of higher levels of distortion than the Catalyst, which can be set completely clean. I think anybody who doesn’t at all like the Catalyst simply isn’t a very experienced guitar player or pedal user or plays a style of music where something completely different is required.

BTW, I use the Catalyst on a board that I use for quite vintage-like blues/rock sounds (probably like Mike Fuller himself) and the Mas Malo for my garage rock/punk sort of stuff.

jpagey and Gaheba like this.
  13. oansun

oansun Supporting Member

For me the 69 MKII and the Mas Malo are the best Fulltones. The Catalyst is awesome if you treat like you would a Treble Booster. Not really into much of the rest of the line of drives but I haven't tried a Ranger yet

jpagey likes this.
  14. jlectka

jlectka Supporting Member

Haven’t tried one I don’t like. I have an old Fulldrive comp cut that’s such a great fit for my strat into DRRI that I’ll never sell it. The OCD is a forever keeper too and they were both great bang for the buck.

jpagey likes this.