Fulltone Fat Boost ~> OCD

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by trinitysun, Aug 16, 2005.

1. trinitysun

trinitysun Member

I've had my OCD for a while now and absolutely love it. It blends in with my amp extremely well and sounds like im actually overdriving the amp when I kick it in.

I haven't had any experience with the Fat Boost though and im wondering if it performs as well as the OCD. Im looking for something to really boost the low end and give me a bigger sound at low volumes. Is the Fat Boost a good way to go?

2. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

The Fat Boost is an awesome pedal. I use it all the time and it works great right after the OCD. Basically, it'll fatten up the sound of your guitar without altering the overall character. I don't know how it sounds at real low volumes but at moderate to loud it's a very useful and transparent pedal. It's my favorite Fulltone pedal.

3. OOG

OOG Member

it'll do just what you described at low volumes

4. trinitysun

trinitysun Member

Sounds perfect. Im actually kind of surprised that I haven't heard it mentioned more if it's really this good.

5. danut

danut Member

The Fat-Boost is a f***ing awesome clean booster! Actually, it doesn't only make your sound louder, but it adds some nice upper harmonics to it, making it fuller and meatier. I initially used it in front of my preamp but later I found out it works way better after it. I moved the Fat-Boost after my preamp (Sans Amp TRI-A.C.) planning to leave only my Keeley TS-9 in front, set as a clean boost, and to kick the Fat-Boost in for solos. But it sounds so damn good that I leave it on all the time! I think I'll get another pedal, maybe an EQ (MXR 10 band EQ comes to mind) for the solo duties.
    Go for it! You'll never look back!

Also, Mike Fuller recommends powering it with 9 to 18V, for more clarity and headroom. I never tried, though.

6. 6789

6789 Member

With my guitar and amp ('65 Hagstrom I single coil and Victoria Regal), I've found the Fatboost reduces the low end, adds some midrange and high end. The high end can be rolled back though with the tone knob. My Timmy pedal give me more of an unaltered tone boost. The sound is much fuller and no loss of low end. if you run the fatboost at 18 vlots, the amount od boost increases a lot. the Timmy doesn't seem to boost as much as the fatboost, but it boosts plenty for me.

7. trinitysun

trinitysun Member

well i have a timmy coming in about a week(fingers crossed) but i was thinking that the fat boost would add some low end. So you're saying that it actually sucks up some low end? Doesnt that kind of contradict the point of calling it a FAT boost?

8. danut

danut Member

Hmm...I never felt a loss of bass with the Fat-Boost. The more you crank either the drive or the level, the lows grow bigger and bigger, to the point of getting overwhelming and flubby. But it might vary, depending on the other gear. Anyway, considering that it is on the expensive side, I would suggest a trial before buying.

9. tthompso7

tthompso7 Guest

I have a Tim, OCD and Fat Boost. The tone control on the FAT Boost is very interactive. You can beef things up, get a transparent boost or increase the natural overdrive of your amp. It also seems to add some nice harmonics. Lots of tone shaping possibilities.

I've been using the Tim for about a week. Using it as a boost is nice too but it's a transparent vol boost. The tone controls are set up as cut controls. Meaning as you turn the knobs clockwise they'll take treb and bass out of the mix when the pedal is on. The Fat Boost is a very flexibe boost, the Tim kind of does it as a plus.

As an overdrive I really like the Tim. The boost it provides to the OD is great. I really like the tone shaping via cut controls. Lots of flexibility for an OD with a boost. More open than the FD2 IMHO. Flipside...I think I prefer the overdrive of the OCD to the Tim. I think it's a bit more open and has better definition in the lower register. It also has way more gain. I've only had the Tim for a week or so, looking forward to really opening things up at practice... Stack the Tim and the OCD and you get insane sustain! They're all keepers for now... :)

10. trinitysun

trinitysun Member

Ted, thanks for the input, it sounds like the fat boost is exactly what i need to round out my OCD and timmy

11. 6789

6789 Member

I think the different pedals all react differently to different guitars and amps. I really like the sound of my bass guitar through the fat boost. with some guitars the fatboost does sound great (even though I don't notice an increase on the low end) the pedal adds harmonics/overdrive that sound good. The Timmy just seems to give me a boost plus overdrive without changing my tone/EQ as much as the Fatboost. If if turn the bass cut knob to half way on the timmy, then it cuts about the same amount of low end as the fatboost. at least this is what happens with my guitars and amp. My victoria Regal has tons of big low end - so I can tell when the low end is getting cut. Others might get different results. I like both pedals for different sounds. The Timmy lets you dial up overdrive in addition to a clean boost. The Fatboost has a drive know that increases harmonics/overdrive that seem to really interact with the amp - with some amps it adds a lot of overdrive and with other amps it doesn't add much. Maybe it depeands on how much clean headroom yout amp has and how hard it is being pushed. both are cool pedals and I'm keeping both.

12. Urkoman

Urkoman Member

Haven´t tried the OCD but i´ll do soon, i´ve heard really great things from people whose ear i trust.
    Concerning the fat boost, it´s a great pedal, really nice, but i prefer the Xotic RC booster without a doubt ;)