Fulltone Fat Boost v3 vs Keeley Katana

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Soul Man, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Soul Man

Soul Man Local 83 Supporting Member

Hi guys and girls,
    I was just wondering if any of you could compare and contrast these.

I've owned a FB and liked it but have never played a Katana. I have read numerous reviews and articles about these but would like to hear your thoughts.

Similar? Different? Together?

I run a '65 Blackface Bandmaster.

2. It's Time!

It's Time! Senior Member

I have the Katana on my board and it is transparent and never messes with my tone.

3. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

I've never used a Katana, but the ability to tweak the FB3's EQ and gain is an obvious difference... of course it can also be used as a clean boost, like the Katana. The Katana looks like an awesome clean boost though.

4. Soul Man

What does the pull knob do on the Katana?

5. terrapin

terrapin Member

I have played them both and they are both very nice pedals....but different.

IMO the FD can not be as transparent as the Keeley. The Keeley can't do the gain and EQ thing that the FD does, but I don't want to use my clean boost to add gain or EQ. I want it to boost the EQ and gain I am sending it. I use drive pedals to add gain and EQ.

The Katana will stay on my board forever.

6. jocfan1

jocfan1 Member

The pull knob is a secondary boost mode, adds more gain. If you want a totally transparent boost, the Katana is the way to go.

7. p.j.

p.j. Member

How does it compare to the S.H.O.?

PJ

8. jocfan1

jocfan1 Member

Similar. Personally I feel like the Katana is a little more transparent. The pull knob makes it almost like an overdrive, particularly if you're already running your tubes hot, but it's flat EQ-wise. You get your tone, just louder (or more saturated, depending on how your amp is set).

9. jocfan1

jocfan1 Member

You might also consider Keeley's Java Boost. It's a dual-mode treble booster, so it isn't transparent like the Katana, but it's got some spectacular sounds too.

10. jetstrat

jetstrat Member

I have both but the fb is on my board now. Both boosts are really good but as previously stated they are different. The keeley is totally transparet and it gives you more of your sound. I find though that live, at least on my rig, it makes the bass a bit too boomy so thats why i have the fb3. On the fb3 i can roll off a little bass and it sounds great. I think boosts are really dependent on your individual set up and how it all reacts with eachother.

11. voorhiessa

voorhiessa Member

Time machine boost is the java and katana in one bix

12. jocfan1

jocfan1 Member

Yeah, The TMB is actually what I've got. If you can afford the $$$, that would be my recommendation so you get the widest range of sounds. Considering what you get, $269 isn't bad, but it's a sizeable bump up from just the Katana.

13. empressTIM

empressTIM Member

I've had both, sold the Katana and kept the FB3. It's more flexible (can be used as an overdrive in a pinch, in addition to flat/treble/fat boost) and transparency wasn't an issue either way for me.

14. Soul Man

Do you guys use either or both while playing at home as opposed to being out on a gig?

I've heard great things about both (as well as the opinions here) and wondered how beneficial either of these are at lower volumes?

15. thewordking

thewordking Member

I've used the Katana at home and it fattens things up nicely at bedroom levels. But I found I can match it exactly using a TIM so I think the Katana might be up for sale soon. That's my longwinded way of saying the benefits of the Katana can be had at bedroom levels.

16. Soul Man

Would you guys deem these more as solo boost (volume) pedals or amp pushers?

I've been trying both with my BF Bandmaster and for me, they're more a volume boost than a push.