Fulltone Fatboost 2

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Polynitro, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

Any thoughts? I'm looking to add sparkle and push my Twin Reverb a little bit (Vol=7ish)...I play country and surf, mostly clean but need a boost for solos in a band situation. One thing is I hate ts808 overdrive.

I play a Tele and an Esquire with lower output pickups >7K and my other pedals are a byoc mkII and korg dynamic echo and I use onboard trem and reverb sometimes.

Thanks!

2. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

I have an original fatboost, and really like it for pushing my Dr. Z Route 66. IMHO, it's a little more musical sounding than the Z Vex SHO I used to use as a boost, and definitely not as oversaturated as my Lovetone and Hermida OD pedals. Great little pedal.

3. Millo 3.1

Millo 3.1 Member

also interested in opinions...

4. eclipseall

eclipseall Member

I use my Fat Boost 2 to add sustain for solos and I use my Fat Boost 1 to fatten up my tone, it stays on all the time. The Fat Boost 2 is not as fat sounding as the previous version, yet it doesnt color my tone at all, just adds harmonics and sustain. I play metal, but Im sure it will work for anything.

5. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

So would you say they are interchangeable? Which would you keep if you had to get rid of one?

I'm gonna get one now it's just a matter of the original or the new version. I'm looking for something that doesn't color the tone at all so I guess #2...What about the compression, I'm not a big fan of compression.(I know I play country but I just don't like obvious compressed tones-sue me!)

6. Kelly

Kelly Member

Get a RC Booster.

7. Jay Douglas

Jay Douglas Member

denied a Fulltone dealership, perhaps?
    I notice you don't sell it ;)

8. eclipseall

eclipseall Member

If I had to get rid of one, it would be the Fatboost 2. The Fat Boost one does such a great job at proving a bigger sounds, fatter, makes my drive pedals sound like they grew a pair. I haven't heard a stay on all the time boost as good as the Fat Boost 1.

9. Boomer

Boomer Member

Try the Fuchs Plush Pure Gain. I've not heard a bigger, fatter sound out of a pedal that absolutely does not change the tone of your guitar. I never used a boost before the Plush as I never saw a need and couldn't find a truly clean pedal. This is it.

We A/b's it against a few other boosts and all paled in comparison from a CAE to a Fatboost.

10. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

I think this is what I'm gonna get. For one it looks badass and also I used to live in Clifton, NJ so I'm gonna support my peeps.

Thanks for all the help!

11. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

OK just to update. After listening to sound clips I've decided to get a Sex Drive. (Couldn't find a Plush dealer, those look pretty cool...oh well)

12. Kelly

Kelly Member

I dont sell anything, I make kitchen cabinets. The dealers listed in my sig are friends and/or dealers that I've used for major purchases. Aplusguitars does sell Fulltone. I own a Choralflange, and recently sold my '69. My next fuzz will be a '70 most likely. I own a RC Booster, and after trying several clean boosts it is my favorite.

13. Millo 3.1

Millo 3.1 Member

IS the Fat Boost noisy at all? How about the FB 2?

14. vintagecrunch

vintagecrunch Senior Member

I use a FatBoost, the older grey one, and I dont think it is noisy.

15. d-b

d-b Member

Fatboost had a compressed sound to it to me. Not sure how it would be more musical than sho...

16. charless

charless Member

Anyone else using this pedal like me?

Fat Boost-2 into an OCD

Not much has been said about this pedal .. wonder why?

17. dougeds

dougeds Member

i run my original fat boost at 18v and it's not fat. just takes my tone as is and makes it louder for soloing.

18. JeffOlson

JeffOlson Member

I run my Fat-Boost 2 into my OCD 1.4. Great sound.

I auditioned a number of pedals, including the Crunch Box, the Mighty Red Distortion, the SCOD, the Eternity, and the Blackstar. Ended up keeping my V-Twin and OCD and adding the Fat-Boost 2. In fact, my wife liked the Fat-Boost 2 best of all the pedals I auditioned.

The Fat-Boost 2 can be used as a relatively clean boost, but it can also be used for a tweedy, ZZ Top-like grind if you crank the gain. As for its "compression," I do not really notice that aspect. I guess it must add a bit, because it is not as dynamic as the OCD (nothing is, frankly), but it is not a squashed tone at all.

Verdict: Very nice.

PS: Strat w/Fat 50s into either Super Reverb Reissue or Gibson Goldtone GA-5.

19. charless

charless Member

Thanks for the validation! :BEER

Yeah, I run into the OCD and it seems not to color the sound at all, like there is no pedal in front of it .. I wasn't too keen on changing the tonality of the drive when I wanted more drive, that is why all them tubecreamer type pedals are off the board.

With Fat-Boost-2 you can run it so transparently it makes it a good choice for a boost.

20. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs Silver Supporting Member

right, because when you run it at 18V it has so much voltage it doesn't "fatten" it just boosts. At 9V it fattens and boosts.