Fulltone FD2 Comp-Cut in a smaller enclosure?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dagjonas, Sep 18, 2011.

1. dagjonas

dagjonas Member

I agree with what's stated in previous posts, the FD2 3-way toggle pre-Mosfet CompCut is what we're searching a replacement for.

I haven't tried the Palisades (or Dunes), but probably should, if so, Dunes with toggle to "none" could be something..

2. dagjonas

dagjonas Member

Got the Earthquaker Dunes here now. Too much overdrive with the gain all the way down when toggle set to none, not even close.

3. Plexihead

Plexihead Member

The FD3 would've been perfect if it was made to the exact specs of a '03 toggle cc/flat/vintage in the smaller case and 2B boost. So Fuller was half way the there with the FD3, got the case size and the boost right, but the overdrive side could've been better. I still like the FD3, but it could've been a home run.

Brian Gilmour likes this.
  4. dagjonas

dagjonas Member

Exactly @Plexihead, we got the 2B separate, we only need the drive side separated too.

5. dagjonas

dagjonas Member

After watching That Pedal Show compare tubescreamers I found out that the TS9DX has a diode lift setting. Have anyone compared IT to the FD2 CC?

6. dagjonas

dagjonas Member

7. billyg121

billyg121 Supporting Member

The Koko Boost reloaded can get many great boost tones, and very close to CC. Not a suggestion, but the boost side of the Bogner LaGrange sounds like CC to my ears.

lostpoet2 likes this.
  8. TeletoneH137

TeletoneH137 Supporting Member

Any luck finding a suitable replacement yet? I just got an FD2 (pre-mosfet) in a trade. I was not going to keep it but I must say it sounds stellar in cc mode. A smaller version would be ideal for my purposes as I don't use pedals often.

corbs likes this.
  9. Michael_V

Michael_V Member

No, a replacement still does not exist. Which is why I have two haha.

10. dagjonas

dagjonas Member

My latest idea is the Ibanez TS9DX, it has a mode with the diodes lifted. Haven't bought one yet though.

11. TeletoneH137

TeletoneH137 Supporting Member

I was thinking of trying the Maxon OD9+... or VOP9.

12. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

You should really check out VFE Pale Horse, you can lift diodes or blend between the 2 diodes. Plus additional bass and treble controls.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  13. pdodge77

pdodge77 Member

It's not exact, but snipping the clipping diodes out of a Boss SD-1 gets closer than anything else I've heard.

s360guitarist likes this.
  14. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

15. Michael_V

Michael_V Member

That makes sense.

16. TheoDog

TheoDog Member

Amazing that this is such an old discussion with the OP still involved! I noticed I commented almost 3 years ago.

Have you tried the Keeley Katana mini?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  17. pdodge77

pdodge77 Member

The C6 mod is a little different. It involves removing a cap from the pedal to allow for a little more high end.

What I'm suggesting here is removing the clipping diodes. It's just as easy as the C6 mod. You literally just clip the diodes out. If you were feeling adventurous you could wire up a switch to take them in and out of the circuit.

18. Michael_V

Michael_V Member

This has the highest chance of actually working of anything I've read on this thread. Now someone has to do the mod and post a video comparing it to the FD2 in comp cut!

19. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

Is this the same thing as Keeley does on his modded SD1? All I know is that the Keeley SD1 replaced the FD2 on my board.

20. ruger9

ruger9 Member

I had one of the Keeley SD1 mods, the "5-star" mod, I think... I know he had several different mods for the SD-1. If I could buy and SD-1 with that "vintage/FM/Comp-cut" switch on it, I would have many years ago. I LOVE my FD2, but never use the boost side, and would love to have a single-stomp-sized version.

FWIW, while I don't remember what the 5-star mod was, I can report it sounded nearly (like 95%) identical to my FD2 (pre-mosfet, of course)