Fulltone FD2 Question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dahn8, Feb 19, 2008.

1. dahn8

dahn8 Member

Hi... i have a Fulltone FD2 (non-mosfet). i like it, but its a little too big for my board and i never use the boost side. I was wondering, is there anything similar to it (for a reasonable price) in a smaller enclosure (i tend to use the FM mode)?

Thanks in advance,

2. hurleysurf

hurleysurf Member

I've owned 2 Fulldrives over the years. I always try to get into it, but end up finding out I really don't like it. It's such a boring drive to me. I always go back to a TS808 reissue which you'll find fits a similar niche. I just personally think it has a little more life.

3. ChickenLover

ChickenLover Member

A FDII is just a Tubescreamer with minor tweaks...tweaks that other people do or have been doing for a very long time. There are a ton of slightly different 'takes' on the TS and the FDII is just one of them.

Try a Sparkle Drive...that's a very nice 'take' on the TS.

4. Franklin

Franklin Member

If the boost isn't essential to you, an Analogman modded Boss SD1 with asymmetrical clipping was just like the FD2. I actually sold my FD2 for the same reason and loved the AM SD1!

5. Mike52

Mike52 Member

I asked this same question a few weeks ago. The mi audio Blue Boy Deluxe gets high marks around here for a TS style pedal. It's resonably priced and very small. The Red Snapper was also recommended. I decided to try something different than another TS and ordered a timmy and zen. I'm hoping they open up a lot more sound possibilities in the same amount of board space.

6. dahn8

dahn8 Member

Yeah, i was looking at the Tubescreamers but at the same time, i tend to use the flat mid mode... im not a big fan of that mid-hump. so pretty much i was wondering what would be a good overdrive without the mid hump but has a similar feel to the FD2 (if that makes any sense at all...)?

7. ChickenLover

ChickenLover Member

The 'Flat-Mid' thing is a very simple, easy tweak that I'm sure other TS variants do...unfortunately I don't know exactly which ones. I'm sure Analog Mike or Keeley (among others I'm sure) have something comparable. IMO/IME...even FM has a mid-hump it's just not as pronounced as non-FM (at least that's the way it sounds to me on my blue FDII with the toggle switch). My point is that you probably do like some mid-hump...just not as much as a 'stock' TS.

Another idea might be that since the TS is such a well-known circuit...maybe have someone build you one (they could use the General Guitar Gadgets kit if needed) and customize it just the way you want.

8. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

I have never tried one but, based on the sound samples, I always thought that the AC Booster would be nice if I wanted something like the FD but in a smaller box.

Terry

9. Funky Monkey

Funky Monkey Supporting Member

10. Franklin

Franklin Member

The AM modded SD1 -silver mod- has less mid hump!! :BEER

11. Ronstrat63

Ronstrat63 Member

I find the FD2 is great with some amps but so so with others. I like it with my Lonestar Special. I have a keely Sparkle drive that really works great with everything that isn't high gain.

12. kurt1981

kurt1981 Supporting Member

Love my xotic AC, but a fulldrive it is not. Quite different, imho

13. Captain Zero

Captain Zero Member

Check out GMD's Luther Drive. A very nice TS.

14. dalandan

dalandan Member

VERY far from an FD2, IMHO. I currently have both and they're different flavors of OD.

15. jonlarsen002

jonlarsen002 Member

Totally different pedals, indeed. I run my Keeley BD as a gritty boost into my FD2. Great big chunky tone that I can't get close to with either by themselves.

16. marvelboy_04

marvelboy_04 Member

17. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

+1, except mine was a Keeley, and I kept the FD2 because it had the FM mode & comp-cut mode, both of which I use.

But the Keeley SD-1 was a dead-ringer for the FD2 vintage mode.

18. powermatt99

powermatt99 Member

19. henke

henke Member

The Fulldrive 2 running on 18v is a marvelous pedal and thankfully I still have some room on my board.