1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fulltone Full-Drive 2 Mosfet!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Crunch Master, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Crunch Master

Crunch Master Member

After trying out several boost pedals, I've finally found one that has dethroned the mighty TS9!

This thing can cop pretty much the same tones as the TS9, but with much more clarity, headroom, and dynamics. It doesn't have that nasally congested thing going on like the TS9 does. I play metal, and this is the best boost I've ever used for that by far. It's very open and dynamic, and just plain feels good to play through. It also has several different modes and settings that can really change up the drive, feel, and dynamics as well, and then on top of all that it's got a second channel boost as well; so much win! :rockin

2. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

Yes! I don't know what I would do without my Fulldrives.

3. gigs

gigs Member

yup. Fulltone Full Drive 2, OCD, Clyde wah and Deja Vibe

I'm tellin ya, the Deja Vibe is FANTASTIC. All his pedals are Great.

4. teleache

teleache Member

Try the orginal mosfet overdrive ! Mike fuller stole his guy's idea from this pedal ! This was out years before fulltone started marketing the "mosfet" in stomp boxes ! http://blackstoneappliances.com/

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  5. freebirdgtr

freebirdgtr Member

Spoken like a true idiot.

FD2= Tube screamer derivative
    Blackstone= discrete mosfet design, no clippers.

No relationship between the two designs at all.

Don't you feel stupid now.
    (should, but I'm guessing Probably not)

6. teleache

teleache Member

So i can't read right ? Fulltone 2 Mosfet ? no mosfet transisters ? or is fulltone's a non discrete ? clipping mosfets from a chip ? Excuse me of effect designs. Teach me ? I understand Discrete wiring with components. What is in the fulldrive 2 mosfet ? I own a fulldrive 1 and it's discrete covered with epoxy.

7. freebirdgtr

freebirdgtr Member

The point is you shouldn't be slandering when you don't knowa thing about what you're talking about.
    Shut up & Study up.

8. chervokas

chervokas Member

As I understand the circuit, the Fulldrive mosfet only uses mosfets in the clipping portion of the circuit, not the OD portion--that's op amp based--and there is a user option to switch between what I presume is diode-based clipping (a la the tubescreamer) on one hand or mosfet-based clipping on the other. I don't know about the blackstone but I presume the blackstone's OD circuit is built around discrete mosfets, not an op amp, and, to hear freebirdgtr tell it possesses no clipping circuit whatsoever. Sounds like utterly different designs to me.

9. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    yeah I used to think that till I found an even better booster.
    Analogman's silver mod'ed Maxon OD-9 :banana

10. teleache

teleache Member

Big deal smarty pants ! I wasn't slandering i was just says blackstone STARTED using mosfet long before mike fuller used "mosfet" in the name of his pedal, just for information, I'm not a plink head ! The chip used, not a fan of them ts9's, 808's and the copys of them hundreds ! I'm using a big lloyed FET's based Overdose pedal ! No plink ! just tube like gain !

It's is discrete wired !

11. CalebT

CalebT Member

Alleging that Fulltone copied Blackstone's design is vastly different from saying that they both use the term 'MOSFET' in product descriptions.

What we have all been trying to explain is that the Blackstone pedal does not rely on clipping diodes in the circuit, unlike TS-derivatives like the Fulltone. This differentiates both pedals, and does not mean that one is better than the other.

The use of 'MOSFET' is not peculiar to Fulltone and Blackstone by any means! My car's stereo has a 'MOSFET' label as well...are you suggesting that Pioneer has been ripping Blackstone off too?

12. dalandan

dalandan Member

quit while you're ahead dude. (actually you're pretty far behind already.)

as they said earlier, your first statement was wrong and the more you say, the more you look like an idiot, which I'm sure you're not. you just wanted to say that the blackstone used "mosfet" in their product name before fuller did.

anyway, they're two different circuits. i like my FD2. i don't use the mosfet setting unless im using humbuckers. the blackstone is nice too but I prefer the SD1-ness of the full drive.

@calebT my car stereo has the same thing.

13. chervokas

chervokas Member

Teleache, what's the source of your obsession w/ the use of the the term mosfet or the use of mosfet devices? Mosfets are hardly obscure, or new kinds of transistors (I think the original design dates to the late 50s or early 60s) and they've been widely used in audio circuits of all sorts for decades. Using the word in the name of a effect that uses the part is no different nor more proprietary than, say, using the word "tube" in the name of a Butler Tube Driver.

I think this whole conversation illustrates the power and danger of tech buzzword marketing not just in music electronics but in all electronics--not that I think either Blackstone or Mike Fuller are guilty in this case. But it inevitably happens that some part of the market latches on to some notion that is not thoroughly understood by all buyers (class A tube amp operation for example) and the fervor among buyers for the perceived benefit associated with that idea drives manufacturers into miss use of terms (hard-wire bypass anyone?), leading to even further confusion among buyers in the marketplace. Teleache, sounds like you are particularly attached to discrete transistors vs. op-amps and other ICs. I get that, in the audiophile world there's a lot of bias in favor of discrete transistors vs. ICs tho' I've heard good sound designed using both types of devices.

BTW, I love the sound of the FD2 w/ flat mids and mosfet clipping--much more open, airy, crackingly and full freqency sound than the original mid hump diode clipping TS sound. But in my rig I'm mostly using the FD2 as a super TS cascaded w/ a lower gain transparent OD so I don't use that setting much. However if I were using the FD2 as my exclusive OD I think FM/Mosfet would be my arrangement of choice. Kudos to Mike Fuller for offering such a versatile product, though obviously its versatility is also a source of confusion.

14. teleache

teleache Member

Your right ! I regret using the word "design" Let me rephrase and say The word "mosfet" on his pedal. After the Blackstone mosfet got rave reviews !

15. chervokas

chervokas Member

Well, perhaps he added the mosfet clipping into his design after the Blackstone got good reviews and perhaps in order to use the word in the name of the pedal, I dunno about that, it's plausible although it seems to me the "mosfet" isn't a hugely influential byword in guitar effects pedal sales (though it sparked a bit of a craze in the audiophile world 15 or 20 years ago when conventional market wisdom said mosfets sounded more "tubelike" than bipolar power transistors). But it's not like we've seen a huge market rush to built mosfet or even discrete device based ODs...all the semi-rational buzz seems to circle around old ICs salvaged from cheap Japanese transistor radios. The only thing we do know for sure is that Fuller didn't use mosfet in name of the earlier versions of the pedal because there were no mosfets in it!

16. teleache

teleache Member

Chervokas, You talk about "much more open,airy ect... I'm in agreement ! I love the way the big lloyde overdose does all that also, by turning down the gain on the overdose I can get the identical sound of the tube amp i running into. With the pedal on ! Great designed Pedal Justin Simpson created ! And after you discription of the design of the fulltone chervoka, I want to try one ! BTW I own a 96' fulldrive 2, a choralflange, and a Deja' vibe. A love those too. Just no crazy about the fulldrive 2 anymore. But i'm sure it would sound better though a blackface fender, just doesn't work well in front of a overdivin tweed or marshall amp.

I have tried a klon, and that i've heard the klon uses a chip, didn't notice plink with the klon into my 5e3 deluxe. That tone SMOKED !

So your right, There are good sound in both designs !

17. buddachile

buddachile Member

Now, back to our originally scheduled program.

Yes, the Fulldrive is great. I have an original orange FD2 hand signed w/ star and it sounds great. Better than the blue one I got years later and eventually sold. I have no experience with the latest ones though.

Oh, and yes the Deja Vibe is pretty awesome.

18. chervokas

chervokas Member

Yeah, I'm a blackface fender guy, and frankly, I don't love any OD pedals. When I record I just use smaller amps that I can crank and if need be I can hit 'em w/ a little boost, but for gigging I feel like I need to be able to switch between a range of clean and dirty sounds quickly and easily so I compromise w/ the pedals. None of 'em sound as good or as responsive as a guitar, a good cable, and a cranked amp on the edge of breaking up if you ask me.

19. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

My wife is buying me one of these for my birthday (day after tomorrow). I already have lots of nice pedals, but can't wait to hear this one!

20. teleache

teleache Member

Chervikas, I do have a 65' deluxe reverb. Love it for some things but not my cup of lately. I agree ! the natural sound of a tube amp cranked is the best overdive ! My cover band did "hot legs" for a demo and i used the deluxe reverb and a marshall ! Same guitar both tracks. A tokai p-90 fralin loaded les paul. I cranked both amps ! Played the solo through the deluxe and a trailing solo through the marshall !

The open a to g chords are a amamat mojo fuzz through the deluxe reverb !
    You can hear it on my myspace page. It's recorded AAD !

http://www.myspace.com/fuzebanddetroit