Fulltone Fulldrive 2 vs. H.B.E Power Screamer

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by RJM/rydog2223, Feb 3, 2008.

1. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

Yello! Qusetion for those that have sampled both. If you had to keep one of these pedals which one would it be and why?? I have both pedals and in the future will most likely have to get rid of one:(. I have a/b'd them for almost two weeks now. Both pedals sounds GREAT for the TS type sound into a Fender amp with a strat but just can't make up my mind!:worried Any help in my decision would be great. Thanks!
    :confused:

2. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    whatever is the most versatile of the 2 pedals is the one you should keep :YinYang

3. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

I'm a long time advocate of the power screamer - I think its one of the most under-rated pedals out there. I have never ab'd it with a full drive, but I have played a full drive on another setup and wasn't as impressed with it. it seemed a little dull for my tastes.

the PS seems to have a lot of harmonic overtones that i don't find in other pedals. The voicing is also great - has the classic TS sound, but not the hump, but still cuts through the mix.

4. jmckeown88

jmckeown88 Member

I have both as well! I feel that they are different enough to merit having both, (of course that is the case for me, not necessarily for you)

Here are few things you could check out:
    1. When I first got the FD2 I hated it, I felt it was too compressed and not nearly open enough, I got a tip from a friend and used my pedal-power II to run it at about 4v, and it made all the difference in the world, it went from a pedal I was going to definitely sell to one I love.

2. I like the Powerscreamer at 16v, I feel it is smoother their... now I'm not saying that the pedal is made for that, I've never read anything saying that it is, but I've run it there for over 2 years now with no problems.

I like the FD2 for the lower gain stuff, it sounds very natural to my ears and I retain what my guitar and amp sound like, also, it works great in all pickup positions ( I play a tyler ), I also like how well it cleans up...

The PS I use for leads and heavy OD work, it is so smooth (but it can be raunchy too, the diode switch def. makes it the most versatile of the two.) There is something about it at high gain settings that the FD2 doesn't have, almost like a texture, 3d swirl, so hard to explain, but a better complexity to the tone. I feel like it hits you right in the face a little more too, and I like the eq on it a bit more as well. Also, I like the boost on the PS better, even though it isn't adjustable, I think the eq on it is perfect.

My plan? Well I've gotten rid of pedals to get what is supposed to be the superior product only to find myself wishing I still had the old one, so I'll keep both of these, then if something comes a long that makes either the FD2 or PS unneeded, then I might dish it, but perhaps whatever I get will just simply add anther tonal flavor....

I don't know if this helped at all... :p

5. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Exactly - the PS completely pwns any Eternity at high gain stuff IMO. It really does have a magic texture to it.

6. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

Cool guys. Thanks for the GREAT feedback so far! Much to think about.

7. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Supporting Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    i prefer the powerscreamer over the fulldrive. i do like, however, that the user can control the boost level on the fulldrive. i'd still choose the HBE though. the diode setting on the HBE that's really "saggy" is just great. never used it live, but used that setting a ton in the studio.

plus, when it comes to prompt customer service, joel @ HBE is the most prompt person i've ever dealt with. great company...