Fulltone fulldrive II or voodoo labs sparkle drive?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by slider313, Aug 31, 2005.

1. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I haven't tried either and play original blackface Fender amps. Has anyone had the pleasure to use both of these and have a preferance for one or the other ?

2. mojoslide

mojoslide Member

I was going to post this same question...Anyone???

3. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Fulldrive is the better of the 2 by far.

4. Not even in the same ballpark. I found the Sparkle Drive very thin with a Strat, think ts-808 at 50%. The sound samples on the web site aren't what it sounds like live, at least not with my rig. (Tried it at the local music store through a '59 Bassman ri with a strat.) Go for the Fulltone Fulldrive 2 with the toggle switch. A versatile pedal versus a one trick (and not a great one) pony.

5. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

I haven't tried a Fulldrive, but I can give you my take on the Sparkle Drive...

I dig the Sparkle Drive! It allows you to blend in your clean/unaltered tone with the driven/altered tone to your liking. What this does to my ears, is make the pedal sound very organic. So I guess you can say it's speciality has to do with a clean boost and blending it with a dirty boost. Or twist the knobs and you can just use one or other (just dirty or just clean boost). I have a TS-9 that I use it in conjunction with. I love having two over drives for leads, with the Sparkle Drive set a little cleaner. The TS-9 and Sparkle Drive drive is very similar sounding to my ear. My TS-9 is Keeley modded too. The Sparkle Drive, or the TS-9 for that matter, is not meant for ultra dirty distortion.

6. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

Apples and oranges. The FD2 is a clone of the Boss Super OD with a few improvements. The SD is a TS clone (obviously) with a few improvements of its own.

If you want Santana tones, go for the FD2. If you want SRV tones, go for the SD. I have both of them and like the FD with my Marshall and the SD with my BF Fender.

They both rock, but in totally different ways.

7. alderbody

alderbody Member

i have a FD-II and it never leaves the pedal-chain (which ends to a BF Fender).

I played the SD once, i liked it, but i would keep the Fulltone.

[hey s2amps, ...Santana tones with the FD-II?... ]
    [FD-II not a TS clone?...]
    [hmmm..... RU sure?]

8. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

Looking at the schematics for both (the FDII and SD-1), the FDII is nearly identical in all the ways that count. It has some of the more common mods and a few other tweaks in there, but it was definitely born out of the SD-1.

I didn't mean a perfect emulation of Sanana tones. I just mean an edgy sound with big thick mids. It works well enough for Santana licks through my 18 Watt.

9. alderbody

alderbody Member

<<Looking at the schematics...>>

hey s2amps,

where can i find the schematic for the FD-II?

10. mojoslide

mojoslide Member

It seems the Fulldrive II is more what I'm looking for at least. From what I can tell though it does seem to be somewhat based on the TS type sound too - just like the Boss SD series is too. I have been leaning towards the Fulldrive anyway...especially because it seems more versatile with the 3 way toggle and boost function. How usuable is the boost function on the pedal? Do those who have one use it to add extra gain for solos, etc? How much of a bump in gain can it give compared to just the regular side of the pedal?

11. haslar

haslar Member

FDII: when used in "comp cut" mode, the boost function is frightening...

As a FDII owner, I can only say this pedal never leaves my pedalboard. The 3-way switch makes it a jack of all trades.

The Sparkledrive is also a good pedal, but is pretty much limited to light overdrive duties. The FDII can do so much more: light-to-medium overdrive, clean boost, 2 channel preamp...
    It does have a mid-hump; very pronounced in "vintage" mode (but less than a TS9); slightly pronounced in "fm" mode.
    If you want straight overdrive with no mid-hump, get an AC booster.

12. angelo

angelo Member

The Fulldrive is a great pedal and I use mine a ton.

That said, the best OD I have ever owned (and still do) is the original 2 knob Voodoo labs OD. THe only bummer is lack of LED. Never notice the lack of tone knob because it makes the sound bigger with big bottom end. Because I am such a fan, I wanted to like the sparkle Drive. I didn't like it at all. Never took it home. In fact, it is the only Voodoo Labs pedal I don't like.

13. jharpersj

jharpersj Silver Supporting Member

I am the only one who thinks the fulldrives just plain suck ? muddy, way midrangy, no definition, no balls, I hate them with a passion and love my Sparkle Drive, of course it depends on your application so go try them out !

14. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

No, you're not the only one who thinks they suck but how about posting some examples of the sparkle drive?

The thing that gets so boring in these discussions is the he says she says descriptions of the tone with no audio examples.

Me - I'm waiting on a Zendrive and AC Booster...

15. mojoslide

mojoslide Member

I agree...this topic needs sound clips. I'd love to hear what tones people get out of each of these pedals.

16. KRosser

KRosser Member

I love the FD II, I've been using the same one since '95...

The Sparkle Drive is a great pedal, the clean blend is a nice innovation, but I don't think it compares to the FDII.