• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Fulltone Fulldrive II vs Mad Professor Little Green Wonder

scholl4060

Silver Supporting Member
I searched around for this comparison but couldn't find anything. I've had a Fulldrive II and loved it, especially in Vintage Mode with the gain at about 60% and MOSFET boost on. I've heard a lot of awesome things about the MP LGW and I'm wondering how they compare. Has anyone played both of them? I'm playing a Les Paul through a Vox AC30. Thanks!

UrbanHymns

Silver Supporting Member
Owned both at one point. They're very different.

FDII - classic, warm tubescreamer tone with a little more bottom-end. Some folks think it's too compressed, and I agree.

LGW - a tubescreamer for those who don't like tubescreamers. Not as much of a mid-hump as the FDII and way more dynamic. I'm not joking when I say the LGW is one of the most dynamic OD pedals I've ever played, even compared to my Timmy. It has a lot more top and bottom-end than the FDII. To me, it almost sounded like a tubescreamer put through an already cranked Marshall.

In short, I think they're very different pedals, but both great pedals. Classic TS pedals like the Ibanez TS808 or Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive are going to be much closer to the FDII than the LGW.

Disclaimer: I eventually sold both and now use a Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive as my main OD. It was more open, transparent, and dynamic than the FDII. And I didn't like how much low-end the LGW had...that I could not dial out.

Once Far Off

I've played both, own the LGW. Very different as noted earlier. I personally like the FDII, but not the boost, and prefer the open mids setting, whichever that is, I can't recall. The LGW is a fantastic pedal - it gives a unique take on the TS type, but it's a lot more than that. It's hard for me to describe tonal characteristics with words, but it is very versatile, and the contour/body knob gives it a wide variety of sounds. IMO they are different animals, both good though.

If I were to build a backup board I would consider a FDII.

Geosh

I currently have both on my board. They are both great pedals but as said, they are pretty different. The FD-II is much more compressed and a bit "fatter" sounding and I like that at times. The LGW is a lot more dynamic and responds VERY well to changes in guitar volume or picking intensity. My sound guys have told me that the LGW seems to cut through and sit better in the mix with the whole band too.

I currently use my LGW as my main drive set to a medium gain and occasionally stack my Fulldrive with it to push things up another notch. The LGW also stacks very well, so that is nice too. I am a huge fan of my Fulldrive (10th Anny MOSFET) and don't think I will get rid of it. If I was only allowed to keep one though, it would be the LGW.

scholl4060

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks guys, all that information is really helpful. I might have to get both...

Moods

I actually prefer the FD2... if an earlier version. The new FD2's don't sound the same IMO. The LGW was a great sounding pedal but a bit too hifi and pristine for my taste when it comes to OD. I couldn't get it to sit right with my setup. Bandmates thought it sounded great so it was more feel than anything else.

<M

Trending Topics