Fulltone GT-500: Complaints Summary Please!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sleejay80, Sep 28, 2008.

1. sleejay80

sleejay80 Member

Heya:Devil

Tried out the GT-500 for the 1st time at the store, and to my surprise, I liked it alot.

Set the amp clean (I was on a Fender), Boost side for lower gain bluesy/breakup rhythm tone, and Distortion side for more of a all-out rock tone. I got useable tone on both sides, so I was pretty happy with the results.

But before I actually buy the thing, I'd like to hear any COMPLAINTS you have experienced, have read, have heard, etc. I'm gonna demo it again at the store, and I'd like to know the downsides so I can test stuff to look out for.

I know there are many complaints about the Distortion side, but what about it is bad? Also, are there any differences between the RED ones and the GREY ones?

2. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

One downside, there was a lot of hype about this pedal, the first version was not well recieved, so the circuit was revised. Today, there are many different revisions, (4-?) so the opinions you'll gather posting here may not directly apply to the ones available today.

Since the build up/letdown was so intense, it appears as if people have an axe to grind regarding the GT500, and it's difficult to cut thru the BS. (If you read some of the old threads you'll see what I'm talking about.) Either it's a finicky pedal that is hard to get a good sound out of, or it has sensitive controls, and there is more than one sweet spot.

I'm like you. I tried it and I like it and it's on my short list. It seems like the controls were intuitive, and offered a large variety of sound. If there is anything not to like, I'd like to hear about it also.

3. 89strat

89strat Member

I had one of the original grey ones and now have a red one. I was also one of the ones who was gushing over it when it first came out but ended up selling it within two months.

The grey models were very cold and sterile sounding. Too much volume in the lower ranges, and not much warmth and compression. I like compression.

The red one is a different animal. I find that the two sides interact better, the tone control is far more useable throughout the ranges and the overdrive side is really nice sounding. The distortion side is warmer sounding and I can get it to sound just like my cranked up deluxe reverb.

It doesn't have that marshall sound or the mesa sound or the fender sound. Hell, it doesn't even have its own sound. It seems to take whatever amp you have and sound like that amp on 10. I wouldn't mind a little more compression on the distortion side, but it is a very cool sounding pedal and the sustain and touch sensitivity is much better than before. I wish it was more "OCD" like, but then that would taking away from what the GT-500 is not and what the OCD is. The OCD is to my ears a very marshall like sound. The GT-500 is your sound...whatever that might be.

4. eclipseall

eclipseall Member

I have one of the grey ones with the un modded boost side. I love the way it sounds. The boost is fat and the distortion gets really heavy if I need it too. Not a Marshall sound or Mesa Sound or anything that I can compare it too....but the sound is excellent, thick, full of harmonics and tons of output.

5. sleejay80

sleejay80 Member

Thanks for all the input!
    I'd love to hear more!

So, what's the difference between Red/Grey????

6. JimmyD

JimmyD Member

Mike owes me money on the grey one I had. Nuff said.

7. dsl

dsl Member

Info (I believe from TGP):

Mod #1 starts at 169, mod #2 at 1743, mod #3 at 1211, mod #4 at 2382

[FONT=&quot]There are four mods:
    #1--lessen compression in distortion (most all GT's already have this).
    #2--smoothen distortion (pre-gain treble reduction I believe)
    #3--"Highs" control mod to reduce treble
    #4--bass reduction for boost

[/FONT]

8. sleejay80

sleejay80 Member

Well, thanks, but that doesn't tell me much to look out for during my next try-out...

9. sleejay80

sleejay80 Member

Great, just the info I was looking for!
    I was wondering, cause I didn't see it on the Fulltone page.
    Thank you!!:roll

10. salvatruco

salvatruco Member

can you please tell me, where can i find the mods you mention above??? thanks:YinYang

11. dsl

dsl Member

These are the four different versions (mods) made by Fulltone (AFAIK).

The serial numbers are when each mod took place. The Red ones are
    the newest GT-500s.

12. gatordoc

gatordoc Member

Should this be mod #3 at 2211?

I'm just trying to figure out how mod #3 (1211) came before mod #2 (1734)? :huh

13. salvatruco

salvatruco Member

thanks for the replied.... i got #48... i'll be putting it for sale soon:YinYang

14. SGosden

SGosden Member

i love the pedal, i just find unless u use an 18v power, the boost makes the distortion a bit farty...

thats the technical term :)

mite just be cos i havnt finished playing yet

15. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs Silver Supporting Member

Sleejah, Lola is right on with his post. Perhaps the way to get the most useful info is to ask about the latest version (Red) ONLY. That way you'll get feedback on what you'd buy getting if you buy one today.

I'm with him on this. There was so much crap about them early on, that I just waited (until today, ironcially) to get one. I just traded for a new red one and will have it in a few days. I LOVE the OCD (I've had V1.2 and now V1.4 and they are two of the all time greatest pedals, IMHO) so I am expecting a lot from the new GT500.

16. dsl

dsl Member

Here's the thread the quote was from:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=350934

It appears it's correct from this quote:

"I have labeled them (mods) with numbers from what page they appear on the pdf."

This is getting confusing :crazy

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  17. 89strat

89strat Member

When you get it, I'd like to hear your comparison with the OCD.

18. dsl

dsl Member

Just to update this for the record.

According to the Fulltone PDF for these Mods - Mod #3 comes before
    Mod #2 :banana (I don't know why or how but it does).

So - All GT-500s w/ a Serial # 1743 (not 1734) on up will have the first three mods.

All GT-500s w/ a Serial # 2382 on up will have Mod #4.

Also - Mod #1 Starts at Serial # 196 (not 169).

19. gatordoc

gatordoc Member

That Mike Fuller is one clever guy! :bow
    I don't want to try and figure it out either!:D

20. Benlevy

Benlevy Member

I have an OCDv4 and a Red GT-500. My complaint with the boost side of the 500 is the distortion sounds bad, but I'm ok with that as I just use it as a clean boost. Weird as most folks seem to like the boost distortion. On the OCD and 500, there's a nice heavy distortion with the gain up that sounds good to me, but, it does not melt into controlled feedback. My Crunchbox gives me not only sustain, but chords or single notes will melt into a nice controlled feedback. The Fulltone pedals just will not do that. The quality of the distortion sounds good though.