Fulltone GT-500?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Nolatone Ampworks, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Nolatone Ampworks

Nolatone Ampworks Member

Hey folks,

Anyone out there used the GT-500 yet?

I'm wondering if the mid control will help punch the lead level up such that it gives "meat" to dig into on amp set for more rythem crunch instead of lead punch.

2. VintageToneGuy

VintageToneGuy Member

I tried it and didn't prefer it. I was thinking that it would be like a clean boost on one side with a OCD on the other. It wasn't. The clean boost was indeed a true clean boost. The other side (ie, distortion) was too open and raspy for me. It reminded me of a Fuzz kinda sound and I don't like fuzzes. It did have alot of eq stuff going on and you could dial in quite an array of tones. Just wasn't a keeper for me. Again, I much prefer the OCD v #3!

vtg

3. waveman

waveman Member

Well, the mid control is really only for the distortion side...and I wouldn't use it to boost myself. The boost itself, like mentioned above, is a clean boost with plenty of volume to kick anything up.

4. Nolatone Ampworks

Nolatone Ampworks Member

Yeah, and I'm find with the mid being on the distortion side. That's what I want, the mid meat to dig in with sustain.

It may just be what I'm needing!

5. JayDA

JayDA Member

I just gave one a try, and like VintageToneGuy said...it was very raspy to my ears. But I think you have to take the setup into account, most of the time my amp is clean and I get dirt from pedals. If you have an amp that responds well to changes in input volume, like a non master volume amp, I think it would be a great tool for obtaining different textures and tones. That said...it does have an obscene amount of boost, I could barely get the volume knob above one.

6. gearboy

gearboy Member

...eh......I liked the OD / Boost side better than the Distortion. Fuller just can't get a high gain pedal right. Now....I love my V2 OCD, so I was a little disappointed in the GT500.....thought that would kind of pick up where the OCD left off...

7. woodie

woodie Member

i'm coming around to it. the boost is great, and the dist side has a tightness to it that helps with note definition on my solos...

8. XKnight

XKnight Member

I had one and didn't care for it. It has tons of volume and is very versatile, but I just didn't like the sounds I was getting from it. I have other pedals that do things better.

9. Paul Parrish

Paul Parrish Senior Member

I love mine, still.
    Yah, Fuller doesn't know a thing about Distortion (laughter)

10. delichef

delichef Member

I guess i'm in the minority of people who like this pedal. I set the boost side as a low gain OD and I get a nice thick distortion on the other side....which I like for chunky rhythm parts. I have the Bass set at zero on both sides. I have my OCD set in between the two and a modded DS-1 for high gain. I dunno, I like it....I can't wait to add the Timmy and Tim and see if those shake things up a bit. I can definitely see how the distortion side of the GT-500 wouldn't be for everyone tho....there isn't much "wow" factor to the pedal...it just works.

11. axe2grind

axe2grind Senior Member

Love mine , :drool Awesome pedal with countless tonal options !

12. Nolatone Ampworks

Nolatone Ampworks Member

I gave a serious test drive to one while waiting for my son's PT appointment. I will say I've NEVER heard of a pedal with EQ controls that have such an impact. Simply amazing.

Because of the range of these controls you can get into some SERIOUSly OUT THERE sounds that may not be for everyone. I think though I can dail up the meat I need with this one. We'll see for sure come Friday night!

I like the clean boost too. Seems like it has a LOT of headroom and the pedal may just eliminate two from my board. May be the ticket!

13. Paul Parrish

Paul Parrish Senior Member

Yet we KEEP hearing these "reviews" where the poor sap puts every knob at noon and then says "ooooh, it's bright and thin!"
    People, get a clue, move some knobs around and quickly discover this is THE ****. Turn the Treble control to 8 o clock.....it's OK!!! Put the Bass on 3 oclock, it's alright! Arrrrgh.

Paul

14. Nolatone Ampworks

Nolatone Ampworks Member

Yep. Try this:

Turn the mid down, the bass up-ish, volume down, distortion way up, and work the treble. Is it the sound I want for anything other than an oddball effect? Not likely, but I've never heard any other pedal make that sound!

Also, once you do that sound, roll up the mid and hear the mids overlay the highs in a way I've never heard before. Same with the bass. I've never heard a pedal's eq work this way. This thing is a trip!

15. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too. Silver Supporting Member

It's a good pedal, but it was kind of a catch 22 for me: I loved the boost at 9v and I only liked the distortion at 12-15V. And at those voltages, the boost had too much headroom for me to get any OD out of it.

16. Nolatone Ampworks

Nolatone Ampworks Member

BTW, how are folks getting more than 9v into the pedal? Is there some simple doubler box or something?

17. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too. Silver Supporting Member

I used the 12v setting on my PP2 for that voltage and I bought a radio shack wall wart adapter to try it at 15v. I also tried a godlyke power pump and it did NOT work well with the unit.

18. XKnight

XKnight Member

You can just use a higher voltage adapter.

19. darrelherbert

darrelherbert Member

That's funny 'cause I run mine with all the knobs at noon and I love it. Great pedal.

I re-amped a mono drum loop through the boost side today (I did have to move some knobs for that!) and it gave it just the right amount of grit. I even used a little of the bass and treble boost, though I did have to boost about 6db at 95hz to get some of the thump back into the kick.

20. woodie

woodie Member

i've been using mine quite a bit. unfortunately, the distortion side isn't doing it for me. The minute i step on it, i get lost in the mix. i'm sure it's just the settings i have it on.
    the boost, however, is really great. the bass gets a bit woofy, so i've found that pulling the bass back to about 11:00 and the treble at about 1:30 is the sweet spot. I get a nice boost, and a really sparkly top end that isn't unpleasantly bright. Alone I use it to get some spanky tele lead tones, and with an eternity before it, i can get a great overdriven lead sound with superb clarity.
    i think i'm going to just get a fatboost II, since i never use the distortion side...