1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Fulltone GT-500

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jamminoutloud1, May 17, 2011.

1. jamminoutloud1

jamminoutloud1 Supporting Member

Hey guys,
    I have been thinking seriously about buying this pedal. I am currently using and OCD and ts9. I find that OCD is a bit sterile sounding for my taste...and when it is stacked with the ts9 it can have waaay too much gain.

Do you guys think this is a good pedal for Robben Ford, Trey Anastasio, Scott Henderson type tones? Lots of sustain, smooth distortion, etc.
    Also, do you think it will stack well with a ts9?

I am playing through a telecaster with a dimarzio in the bridge and a 52' reissue in the neck. I play through a lot of different amps, as I live in NYC, but own a blackstar HT-40.
    Thanks in advance!

2. grateful.ed

grateful.ed Member

I bought this pedal last year after getting some info here. I'm using with Fenders. The boost is one of the fatboosts...I think V2. I'm not sure if the distortion is from another fulltone pedal. I've use it with a clean boost but not a ts9.

It's very dymanic with the tone pots on both sides, and you can go OD-> Dist or Dist->OD when you stack both, and they are very different.

Built solid. You can run at 18volts.

It gets zero love here but I like it and I'm keeping it.

3. MBoDean

MBoDean Member

The GT-500 can be dialed in a variety of ways (Distortion to Boost, Boost to Distortion, different volumes/tones/etc.) so I find it pretty versatile. I suspect its the old Distortion Pro pedal on one side and a boost on the other (although it doesn't sound like my Fat Boost v1). Not sure if it will do what you want but you'll probably want to try before you buy, if possible.

4. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Member

fyi, I can confirm that it is not a Distortion Pro...the GT is a discrete pedal (no opamps) unlike the Dist Pro. The boost is a v2 Fat Boost (at least in mine).

I love my red GT-500. For better distortion/higher gain tones run at 9v for a more amp like feel and saturation, but for cleaner overdrive tones run a 18v. I think it takes a little more to dial in, so most people get turned off by it. You can do anything from a touch-sensitive Zendrive type tone to a full out Metallica with it, if you understand the layout. Highly underrated.

Also, can be a little harsh sometimes playing at home, but sounds great in a band context. Go boost into distortion side for great high gain, or distortion (low gain) at 18v into boost side for a plexi type of tone. I use mine with old BF/SF Fenders or a TopHat Club Deluxe.

5. PedalOnPedalOff

PedalOnPedalOff Member

I agree with Angle Loss; it takes some time to dial in but its worth it. it can cover alot of bases.

6. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

Lots of past threads on it. My own experience with the gray model (one of the first units produced) was quite bad - I thought it was a bit harsh, the wah inductor not working as well as advertised, and not performing very well in its bass frequencies. The red turned out to be much better.

For those tones that you describe I would choose a pedal that deals with Dumble tones, such as the Zendrive or one of the eight (probably more) designs that attempt to do that. Your Blackstar is an amp that I really like how it takes pedals, so you won't have a problem there with pretty much whatever you choose for that purpose.

7. jguitarnash

jguitarnash Member

If you don't like the OCD, I wouldnt get the GT500 as its an OCD with the Fat boost.

8. grateful.ed

grateful.ed Member

I've never used an ocd, but I didn't think that was the case:dunno

9. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

The GT-500 is definitely NOT an OCD (I have both). The distortion side sounds NOTHING like an OCD. I really like the OD/boost section, especially with the gain cranked. But there isn't a lot of OD. The amount of drive is similar (more or less) to a FatBoost.

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  10. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Member

To echo phoenix 7 in agreement with what he just said, the GT-500 od/boost is "Fat Boost" (version 2 in mine), but the distortion side is a unique Fulltone circuit that is FET driven and not opamp like the Dist. Pro or the OCD. I looked at the circuit...hopefully the guessing can stop now?

11. GeorgiaGuitars

GeorgiaGuitars Member

I have been using the GT500 stacked with a TS9 for about 4 months now. I love it! I can cover any drive sound that I need.

12. eclipseall

eclipseall Member

my GT 500 sounds nothing like my OCD. It has way more gain, more control options. It does not have a flat eq like the OCD.

13. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I have the GT-500 (red), OCD v3, Distortion Pro and Fat Boost v1. I just got finished playing around with the GT-500 with Tele into a Reeve Custom 6 combo.

The GT-500, as others have said, is nothing like an OCD. The mids control on the distortion side of the pedal really bumps up the mids and loudness of the tone. Huge sweep. In fact, all those mini EQ knobs on both sides of the pedal have a very broad sweep. It is also more transparent sounding than the Distortion Pro, which I also like and consider one of the most under-rated pedals Fulltone's made (though it was all the rage when it first came out). The boost side of the GT is probably a v2 Fat Boost. It has more drive than my v1 and more flexibility in EQ because it has two rather than one tone knob.

IMO, it's a very versatile pedal with lots of options, maybe more than some may want. Because of the broad sweep of all those little EQ knobs, you can get some extreme tones that may not be to your liking. But it also has a very broad sweet spot, making it a versatile tool to have in the arsenal.

14. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I just reread the OP. Of the guitarists you mention, I'm really only familiar with the Robben Ford tone. I would say this is not the pedal for that tone. It does not get that smooth, not that I've been able to get from it. For that tone, I highly recommend the Fuchs Plush Drive pedal, which is in the Dumble vein. A really nice smooth OD style pedal.