Fulltone GT500

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by stevel, May 8, 2008.

1. stevel

stevel Member

Who's got it, who likes it?

I have a FDII - it sounds good pretty much anywhere I set it (though it adds some mids I'm not necessarily crazy about), but, me being cheap, I want it to do more than one thing - I'd like the Boost to add more saturation, without getting louder. IMO, stepping on the Boost only adds more saturation when the knob's up a bit, at which point it also provides a volume increase (I know, it is a boost after all).

What about the GT 500? Can you adjust the level on each side? Or is the boost a boost again and either increases the volume of the distortion, or adds more input to the distortion?

I'm looking for a nice rhythm crunch, and step on a switch and add a little more saturation without a volume increase (or the ability to adjust the volume of each).

What about other "2 channel" OD/Drive pedals.

Steve

2. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

yeah....this is different than the the FD2....I find that boost useless. The GT500 is more like 2 sperate pedals.....a distortion with lots of eq options...and a REALLY nice boost that you can run before or after the distortion.......and it has nice EQ, and can even double as a nice low-gain OD.

I think it's exactly what you're looking for.......just be sure and get a more recent model, as the early ones were a bit strident and thin.

Caveat.....in the interest of full-disclosure, I have one for sale in the Emporium. I dig it a lot, but am clearing out stuff due to $$$ problems.

Good luck!

- Jim

3. dc_jcm800

dc_jcm800 Member

Does the GT-500 do metal, evh, type sounds?

4. stevel

stevel Member

I did some looking around and found some you tube demos - none of them were super great (that is, they were less of a demo of the features and sound than I would have liked) but the distortion side sounded pretty saturated - much moreso than the FD cranked.

Metal, hmm. I doesn't sound like RR Ozzy period. It sounds more like something like "Anyway You Want It" from Journey - so maybe, rather than "metal", I might call it "hard rock" or "heavy rock". But those demos weren't the best, and they didn't show all the settings.

I don't have GAS as bad as many here (because I'm broke) but I'm seriously considering this one. I jst wanted some more comments about how versatile it is, or isn't. Pros, cons, etc.

Later,
    Steve

5. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

Yeah. On the distortion side you can get up to early Van Halen/Scorpions type tones. Using the booster before the distortion, will get insane amounts of gain, plus you can dial in/out the mids to match your amp or style from classic rock boosted mids or heavy metal scooped.

Also, if you run the distortion at a lower gain setting into the boost (with the boost running a higher drive level) you can simulate a preamp/poweramp both overdriving for plexi like tones.

Mine was an early model which I modded myself to smooth it out. It is a very versatile pedal and probably will take time to dial in for most guitarists. If you think of the two sections as preamp vs. poweramp drives (when running the boost after dist--or seperate) the lower to medium drive tones work well. Using the booster to up the gain of the distortion by running into it puts you into JCM 800 to 5150 tones easily--and much better than a Crunchbox (sounds like a toy to me).

It works just as well through a clean '65 Princeton at home as it does through a TopHat (Bassman+JTM45 preamp/Plexi poweramp) pushing some volume in a band.

6. nsriley

nsriley Member

I have a FD2 Mosfet which I setup pretty much as a clean boost with the OD, but I don't really like the Boost side....it mushes up my tone. I have wondered how the GT500 in regards to using the distortion/OD side as a cleanish boost? I love the fact that you can use the Boost on it before or after the OD/dist. If my FD2 had that I wouldn't be wondering about the GT500. LOL!

7. stevel

stevel Member

Well, see, me too.

I'm OK with the Boost side on on the FD2 (not mosfet) but it can get pretty subtle depending on where the drive knob is too.

But overall, I like the FD2 for a very light OD - just enough to notice it's there and to fatten things up a bit.

Steve

8. stevel

stevel Member

Ok, so, the million dollar question is, could I have two different amounts of gain - say a nice rhythm crunch - say like a Deluxe Reverb breaking up on one side, and step on the button and move up to that JCM 800 range on the other side, while keeping the volume equal between the two sides?

Thanks,
    Steve

9. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

yes...absolutely....and then a THIRD amount of gain......cascading one side into the other.

10. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

absolutely! You have volume controls on each channel, so to go from a Deluxe type overdrive to JCM800 you could do it at least two ways. Just like having an overdrive pedal in front of an amp, you can boost the amp into overdrive, or add overdrive at unity level (to dry signal). Also, depending on how you stack will influence the EQ. The later pedal will have the greater effect on overall EQ. So, if you liked the rhythm tone, but just wanted more drive, click on the distortion before the boost/od. If you want to go from one tone to a completely different tone, either switch between sides, or when running the boost/od, switch on the distortion after.

There is really so many ways you can approach it. But don't expect it to sound anything like the Fulldrive. It has a much wider range of tones and a different feel. A fulldrive is a one trick pony and easy to dial in. the GT takes a little more patience, but you will be rewarded. A pedal like this requires that you think about what is happening more, especially when stacking the two sides. Running the bass high before distortion versus after distortion will produce two different effects, and so on.

I've only heard mine (before and after mods), but I would venture to say that depending on how new the one you purchase is, it could sound a bit different. There is a thread here about the mods that I posted giving a summary of the changes. Again, these occur in the stock pedals depending on serial numbers:

http://thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=350934

11. stevel

stevel Member

Oh, you mean, you can turn 1 side on, or the other, or both?

Steve

12. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Exactly.....and you can have either side 1st or second......so LOTS of possibilities.

It's such a cool pedal, I'm starting to wonder why I'm even selling this thing..........damn this poverty!

13. DerekEstrada

DerekEstrada Member

14. heavypick

heavypick Member

Can it do that liquidy Holdsworth-type thing?

15. stevel

stevel Member

Yeah, but he only shows the FDII in this one! Actually, I found this one and another before (Part 1) but from here I found Part 3, which is all GT 500 and it pretty much tells me what I need to hear :)

Thanks,
    Steve