Fulltone kicks Ass

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by waxnsteel, Oct 18, 2005.

1. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

I have an OCD, and I played with a Full Drive which was nice, but not for me, but I got to spend a little time with a Distortion Pro and fat boost today, and I gotta say, why didn't I try these earlier? They were awesome! The distortion pro was amazing> If I didn't have a few really good ones. It's pretty $$$ey, but If I were just gonna have one dirt pedal for studio work, that might be the one. Extremely versatile. Gets REAL thick, and I was playing it with a stock Tele through a little Vox crap amp at GC. I can only imagine what it'd sound like with a real amp. Fat Boost was killer as well. I had played the Choral Flange before, and was floored, but was looking for a separate flange and chorus and flange at the time, otherwise, I probably would have ended up with one. I need to get out more, and play more pedals. lol, but seriously, Fulltone kicks ass.

2. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

waxnsteel:
    With a "to each his/her own" kinda spirit, I did not warm up to the Distortion Pro. I bought it really hoping for the best, and I have to say that it was a thorough disappointment. It was gone a just a few days. I couldn't dial out the artificial, fizzy quality it imparted to my rig. And it was expensive to boot!

Good to hear that you like it. Goes to show ya just how subjective "tone" is!

3. rfmason

rfmason Member

FWIW, I think the DP really favors single coil pickups. Sounds really good with a strat or tele, but kinda buzzy with humbuckers.

4. erksin

erksin Member

I love my Clyde!

5. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

fulldrive, '69, '70, clyde...love 'em

I see an OCD and TTE in my future. Maybe a new version of the Dist pro.

6. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

My findings exactly. A real disappointment. With eight knobs, including the two inside trimmers, I never could find a decent sound that worked with either humbuckers or singles. Sometimes I got close, but I've been more successful with other pedals.

Now the Clyde, damn! That's an outstanding pedal!

7. Taller

Taller Silver Supporting Member

Anywhere is everywhere and nowhere is nothing.
    Choralflange and Soulbender for me.
    Thinking about a Clyde!

8. onemind

onemind Member

I concur as well, just didn't mesh with the Distortion Pro, though it did have tons of gain, perhaps it is due to my preference for p90s and Humbuckers, don't even recall if I tried it with a single coil guitar.

I am a big Fulltone fan though...and have:

an OCD (still on the honeymoon)
    a Choral Flange
    a Fulldrive II (older model, an important tool for me)
    a Fatboost

and really regret selling my Soulbender and Clyde Deluxe

(s)

9. Alex Law

Alex Law Member

I have seven different Fulltone pedals and three more duplicates, and love them all. Every email exchange I've had with Michael Fuller has been fast and professional, and the one repair I needed took less than a week round trip to get back on my board.

The only other pedal makers I've had this kind of service from were Michael Knappe of Diamond Pedals (still digging the ML, thanks again Michael!) and Bob McBroom of Pedalworx.

Most of the other pedal guys are too "busy" for my short attention span... ;)

10. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Could be. I dug it, but maybe it's too thick sounding for humbuckers? I dunno, didn't try it. Next time. I just never even heard anyone talk about that pedal, and was impressed first glance. And I was in the mood to rant. :p

11. KRosser

KRosser Member

The Fulldrive II has been my main OD pedal since '96, I also have and frequently use the Clyde, Supa Trem, and Ultimate Octave. Really great stuff from them. I'd love to try out a TTE sometime soon....

12. Cranknfrank

Cranknfrank Member

I agree, Fulltone kicks big booty. I've been playing the stuff for nearly 10 years and have been very pleased with it. Mike's service has always been exceptional, friendly and fast. Compared to other higher end pedal makers, I think Fulltone represents great value for the working guitarist.

Having said that....I also think that his pedals might not be best suited for someone looking to plug in and immediately find jaw dropping tone. There a lot of variable to tweak (or can be tweaked) and some players do not dig that kind of work. For example, I'm still finding some cool new things on my FD2 even after playing it for almost 10 years.

The DP also (IMO) has many things to be tweaked and really isn't an "out of the box" pedal. But, if you do spend some time tweaking and experimenting, the tones are in there usually. The Soul Bender is really an overlooked gem in his arsenal. A SB plugged into a Marshall is WAY cool. Not everyone's cup of tea but a great tone nonetheless.

Anyway....just my .02.....

13. JP

JP Guitarist of Mojo Radio

Gotta Love Fulltone, FDII,SoulBender & Clyde all the way!

Let's not Forget the Ultimate octave & TTE!

14. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I would love to see Mike come out with a OCD Pro! Something like that would probably match a lot more amps. For me the OCD is great as it is as well as the FD-2!

I liked the Distortion Pro but it was a bit finicky unlike the OCD I was happy right away with that pedal.

15. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

OK, real test, I tried the Dist Pro with a TUBE amp today, MAZ 28, which was really cool, but it might not be fair, cause this amp didn't sound like any other really, maybe like a really compressed cleaner Matchless, but the DP made everything holllow, and I didn't like it. I revoke my DO IT ALL statement. The DR Z sounded almost too pretty, and what clean sustain!

16. JP

I used to run a Dr Z KT45 with my Dist Pro and it sounded awesome with my les Paul. I got sick of playing the Over drive pedal/amp game and went back to a amp for my overdrive sound.

What type of sound where you going for ? I'll bet running a combo of the OCD & Dist Pro in the Maz would have had some cool results. Go back and try a Fat Boost as well.

The Dr.Z stuff sounds great cranked wide open with some slight boost or overdrive. You could always add a Z-Airbreak into the mix for better results and not killing your bandmates

17. britishampsrock

britishampsrock Member

hey what's are the differences in sound between the ocd and the dist pro? i play a les paul through an orange and im looking for a pedal that will give me a really heavy, thick distortion. im not looking for an overdrive. which of these pedals would be better for it?

18. JP

What type of sound are you going for ? If you want to push the natural sound of the Orange, go with the OCD. If you would like to add some added gain and distortion go with the Dist Pro.

I really think both pedals would make the orange sing, but it comes down to what you are looking for. You may find your happy with both boxes ?

I think another cool tool to your rig would be a THD Hotplate.
    This way you can crank the Orange to it's point of natural overdrive and than add Dist Pro. Than use your volume on the LP to take care of your tones. :D

19. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

Love Pedal Black Magic will do that in spades as will the BJF Dyna Red.