Fulltone Mas Malo

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bigben55, May 14, 2020.

1. bigben55

bigben55 Member

I've been thinking about picking one up. Its unlike any dirt pedal I currently have. I've owned a few fuzzes and higher gain pedals and never really gotten along with them live or long term, but the Mas Malo seems different. Kinda fuzz, kinda overdrive, kinda distortion, depending on settings, but not solely any of the above.

Does it work "better" with certain guitars, or certain amps? Is it picky with board placement or power supply?

2. SirGilmour

SirGilmour Supporting Member

I’ve had one for awhile and it’s really great. Super underrated and works well with just about everything I’ve thrown at it.

earwax and bigben55 like this.
  3. earwax

earwax Supporting Member

I like mine. Works well with my Princeton and Vox. The Tele and the strat work fine through it. Doesn’t seem to care about signal chain placement.

Wish my OCD came in this box with the top jacks.

bigben55 and SirGilmour like this.
  4. bigben55

bigben55 Member

I'm more interested in its OD~fuzz tones. I generally dont like straight up distortion/high gain pedals, and dont love most fuzzes. I've had FFs, Tone Benders, even a EQD Hoof Reaper. Never LOVED the Big Muff in and of itself. The Tone Bender was probably the most usable. I HATE spitty splatty fuzz sounds, nor do I like the way bassy/wooly tones. If the Malo was "just another fuzz" pedal, I wo7ldnt be looking at it, but it seems to blur the lines between od, fuzz and high gain. At least on the demos I've seen. Does this sound about right in the real, non youtube world?

5. sunkidd

sunkidd Member

I Love mine!
    The "Color" knob/pot can really change the overdrive, distortion, fuzz with a twist.....
    I was really pleasantly surprised with it.... and sometimes I kick on my Fulldrive II in front of it dialed to a slight boost...pretty impressive ....
    also I can dial in tones of the my OCD if I want to on the Mas Malo..... I have been using it thru my 6G6B Fender Bassman, Super reverb and My Marshall Bluesberaker (JTM45)...works GREAT!!!

6. whateverdude

whateverdude Silver Supporting Member

Big Ben, do you have a Rat in your collection already?

7. rwijaya

rwijaya Member

i like mine, but i wish the color knob is a bit more nuanced. the space that it went from dark tone to bright tone is very narrow, so dialing a nuance in between is very hard.

the heat knob is very cool as well. it is a very dark sounding pedal, so depending on your rig, this pedal can easily get lost in the mix.

EL34, earwax and Adagietto like this.
  8. earwax

earwax Supporting Member

yep these remarks about the tone knob are my experience as well.

9. Adagietto

Adagietto Supporting Member

My experience as well; I returned mine. The wound strings had really mushy attack. The sweet spot of the Color knob was about 3° wide (around 2:00), and it seemed noisiest at the lower gain settings — which were the sounds that I liked the best.

rwijaya likes this.
  10. rwijaya

rwijaya Member

oh man, that is the exact spot where I set up my color knob!!! so creepy that we would have the exact sweet spot. I do wish that fulltone would give this pedal a second look and do the necessary update to it. it has so much potential.

Adagietto likes this.
  11. bigben55

bigben55 Member

My all time favorite pedal is my 1998 FD2. Pre flat mids, push pull comp cut. Love my SupaTrem Jr. Love my Fat Boost 3. A few years ago I bought a FD3, and that tone knob did the same thing. 50% of the taper did nothing. 30% did a little, but pretty much ALL the good tones were in the last 20%. Drove me nuts.

Gonna keep researching....

12. rwijaya

rwijaya Member

yeah, I don't know why, the tone knob on the OCD is very nuanced and it working very well.