Fulltone OCD and particular amps

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by stratman0602, Jan 11, 2008.

1. stratman0602

stratman0602 Member

I've read on several posts that the OCD pedal sounds great with certain amps and not so great with others. Is there a particular amp or type of amp that really shines with an OCD?? :confused:

2. Brien

Brien Member

I have not had that experience with the OCD. It's the flattest EQed OD I've owned. All OD pedals are amp finicky to some extent, but I have not found the OCD to be more so than any other pedal. Maybe the people having that experience are looking for a certain EQ coloration with their amp-not that there's anything wrong with that.

3. Rick1114

Rick1114 Supporting Member

I found there was definitely a brightness to the OCD when the Gain is turned up. With the Gain low, it was EQ'd pretty flat, but going up past 9 o'clock with my already bright DRRI it would get pretty sharp sounding. I think Harry J came to a similar conclusion during his OD shootout.

Unfortunately, I sold the OCD before I modded to my amp to tame the brightness, but I imaginge it shines with darker voiced amps, unless you are in a band setting looking for some nice "cut". I could see the OCD being great pedal for leads in this situation.

4. IRG

IRG Member

How does the OCD compare to a Keeley TS-9? I have the later, and for the most part like it, paired to a Traynor YCV50Blue amp, playing a strat mostly, then an LP. I've been thinking about getting a treble booster to go with the TS-9, either the Fulltone Fat Boost 2 or a Keeley Java Boost.

5. RDM

RDM Senior Member

My OCD sounds amazing with my Bassman, and sounded great with my VT40. Not so much with my Fender HRD. I persoanlly think it takes better to a 4x10 rather than a 1x12

6. stratman0602

stratman0602 Member

"I found there was definitely a brightness to the OCD when the Gain is turned up. With the Gain low, it was EQ'd pretty flat, but going up past 9 o'clock with my already bright DRRI it would get pretty sharp sounding."

I experienced the same thing with my vintage 1969 Fender Deluxe Reverb. Yanking the original JBL 12" speaker and replacing it with a Tone Tubby definitely tamed the brightness and made the OCD less fizzy.

7. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

I love it w/ my Boogie Nomad 55 1x12( Jensen Neo 100 speaker). Still hvaing trouble dialing it in w/ my Heriatage Colonial and different cabs( 2x12 EV, and 1x15 JBL) I really get too much low end w the pedal. I`d like to be able to adjust the bass response more. Anyone have any ideas besides a graphic eq? Thanks!

8. neil99

neil99 Member

I wouldn't consider the FB2 a treble booster, I run it with the bass way low and the treble pretty high and its still pretty thick, not trebly at all.

The OCD has very little/no mid hump and is very clear. Cleans up remarkably well with the guitar volume. I run mine as a low/mid gain pedal. Works very well for marshall type grind into a bassman and a drz maz jr, which I would consider fairly bright amps to begin with. I should add that I have a V1 OCD and the treble never gets above noon. Usually all knobs at 11:00.

9. pedalfreek

pedalfreek Member

My OCD v3 sounds amazing with my reissue Fender Vibroverb....it adds a really nice full low end that Ive yet to get with any other pedal.

Ive only used it once with my Bogner Shiva and it sounds very different, it wasn't as full sounding as with the Vibroverb....granted, they are both very different sounding amps, but I like how it works with the Vibroverb better than with the Shiva these days. That's not to say it sounds bad through the Shiva....

Overall it's a great pedal....one I use pretty often these days

10. ARch

ARch Member

V3 here as well with a Fender Twin and an '86 Boogie Mark III. Both love it.

11. funkycam

funkycam Member

ocd can have a sharp top end with some amps.
    There is really no comparison between a ts-9 & an ocd.

12. brianf

brianf Member

I have 3 different Mesa Amps and a tweed princeton clone. OCD works with all well. I find that the choice of guitar seems to have more of an effect on how this pedal works.

Overall I find the version 3 of the OCD to be dark. Many are saying its bright? Must be a different version.

brianf

13. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

I should add that I`m playing G&L Asats( Classic 3 w/Dimarzio humcancelling p/ups, and a Super w/ Vintage Vibe humcancelling soapbars). They aren`t the brightest guitars but definitely not as fat as regular soapbars or humbuckers.

14. Lt_Core

Lt_Core Supporting Member

I'm looking at adding an OCD to my pedalboard. I have a Mesa F-50 combo w/ Jensen Neo 100 speaker so that's good to know.

15. golddillion

golddillion Supporting Member

I just received an OCD ver. 3 Monday. I am running it through a Ceriatone 50 watt 1986 Marshall clone. I though it sounded very good in the lp mode for a good fat medium gain rhythm sound, but was a little too bassy. I found a thread prescribing changing the .1uf cap in the upper left left hand corner of the circuit board to .068uf to tame the bass response. I did this wednesday night and got to crank it yesterday. It flat out kicked my butt how great it sounded. It is a perfect hard rock rhythm sound. I absolutely love it with this mod - exactly the sound I've been looking for!

16. RDM

RDM Senior Member

I wouldn't say dark, but definetly has a bit more bass. I really dig my v3.

17. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

I bought the OCD to use specifically with my Carr Rambler in hopes of adding some Marshall-esque grind and flavor.

I didn't care for it at all. To my ears it sounded fizzy, processed and unnatural no matter how I set it.

Sold it and moved on.

18. minjason

minjason Member

The OCD has sounded amazing on pretty much every amp I've used it with. I currently play a strat/tele through a 65 bassman, and I've also used the pedal in front of a Dr. Z Z-28, Divided by 13 EDT 13/29, Vibrolux Reverb, and a Twin Reverb. With the amp cranked, this pedal really shines...so natural sounding with a kind of organic girth that is difficult to find in other OD pedals.

19. duckbunny

duckbunny Supporting Member

I put an OCD in front of a Vicky 35310T (5E7 Bandmaster clone) and it sounds amazing. I tried a V.2 and the V.3 and I prefer the V.2. It seems that most prefer the V.3, but to me, the 2 sounds sweeter through tweed. Go figure!

-db

20. bmorelli

bmorelli Member

i use an ocd v2 for lower gain stuff with a dr z maz 18 212 non-reverb combo and love it!