Fulltone OCD coming this week - who`s using one for hard rock tones?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Deaj, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Deaj

Deaj Member

The first time I demo'd an OCD I came away impressed but not overly so. I liked the feel and thought the clipping was pretty natural but the tone wasn't what I was looking for at the time.

Well, flash forward about 1 year - I demo'd an OCD again, this time with heavier tones in mind. To my surprise I found I really dug it this time. I recently traded for one and I'm expecting it any day now. Should be fun!

Is anyone else using an OCD for hard rock tones? How well does it work for heavy rhythm in a jam/gig context?

Thanks!

2. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I have one that I use for classic to hard Rock, Sounds very good with my 59 Bassman RI, even with the gain set at 3:00 it still works great with the guitars volume knob.

3. prsflame

prsflame Member

I've been using my OCD strictly for rythmn playing. (edgy rock) I find that the pedal really excels at this. I'm uisng it through a Top Hat Club Deluxe. It sounds great in a band context, and I've had no trouble being heard or getting good tones at stage volumes. I use the OCD for rythmn, the Eternity for leads, and I also use the "clean boost" of the Pro Analog dual drive on a few tunes when I want to change it up a bit.

My only gripe about the OCD, is that I personally don't care for how it sounds with singles......there is a harshness in the tone that I can't seem to dial out. I prefer to use the pedal when I'm playing humbucker equipped guitars

4. onemind

onemind Member

I like the OCD for heavier rhythm sounds, though after last night, I think a T-Rex Mudhoney might take over those chores...also much preferred with Humbucking pickups.

(s)

5. mprvise

mprvise Member

Ditto, and it's great for that purpose. I'm a Strat player almost exclusively and have found that the harshness you describe to be very amp dependent. The OCD sounds great with both of my 6L6 amps, but I don't care for it with my EL84 amps.

6. Hamilton

Hamilton Active Member

I had one, and at first thought it was great. Then I realised how harsh it sounded. It was good with a Marshall, OK with a Matchless, and not so good with a Fender. It needs a little more midrange to fit with my style.

Hamilton

7. Deaj

Deaj Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'd read quite a few comments about the highs being harsh. It seems this pedal likes some amps more than others. I definitely liked what I heard from the OCD in front of a Marshall type amp more than a Fender type. I haven't heard it with my amp yet (Fuchs ODS50). I set it up for a thick tone so I'm hoping it works out. I'll be sure to post my observations once I've had a chance to check it out.

8. mprvise

mprvise Member

Should work GREAT with your Fuchs! My favorite amp to use it with is a TR 50W Custom Reverb. :dude

9. Deaj

Deaj Member

Sounds most promising - thanks! :cool: