fulltone ocd, ebay, wtf?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by RadackGuitars, May 16, 2008.

1. RadackGuitars

RadackGuitars Supporting Member

2. theatomicjeff

theatomicjeff Member

3. ajchance

ajchance Member

I once put a used Duncan pup for sale on the bay and a guy in Houston won the bid for about $5 more than list price at his local Guitar Center. I've also seen someone purchase a $50 Walmart gift card for $52, plus shipping. My dad always says you can't teach common sense!

4. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

It could be because its v.3. I noticed the same thing yet I sold my v.3 here a few weeks ago for $135 shipped. All of a sudden everyone want's the versions you can't buy anymore. If it is the International shipping thing I'll just buy em all up and flip em myself overseas.

5. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

6. Kathargo

Kathargo Member

This is basicly it! Fulltone does not allow his dealers to ship outside the USA/canada, so it is basicly impossible to buy a new one from eBay when you live in europe.
    Lots of used OCD sellers know this so they put their BINS higher then the vallue of a new one, or they just let the auction run knowing someone from overseas will bid higher then its vallue anyway.
    The reason why we are willing to pay more is simple.
    If we buy a new OCD here they are about $300 ( 200 euros ) so it is still
    way cheaper for us to get one of the bay even with added shipping costs and import duties applied.
    OCD $180 + shipping $30 = $210 + 20% import duty = $252
    I have only paid duties in about 10% of my ebay purchases so chances are high i would end up $210 so it would still be a great deal really! :D

In the end we just benifit from the Dollar being so weak compared to our Euro. Specialy when buying direct from the USA. Stuff got slightly cheaper here but sadly not all the benifits from the low Dollar get passed on to the customer by dealers/shops.

7. PosterBoy

PosterBoy Member

I bought my OCD from Thomann in Germany

8. sandman

sandman Member

what Kathargo said, except OCD is 250 euros where I live!

9. orogeny

10. mfgobbi

mfgobbi Member

Is it possible that people are overbiding on their own auctions, to create facts and increase perceived value??

11. guitarstan

guitarstan Member

simple....the world is full of idiots :munch :crazyguy

12. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Yes and the number counter of bids made attracts the eye and causes people to think its a hot item somehow. I always thought that if you want to win something at the lowest possible price, you wait till the last minute or snipe it. Those early multiple bids made on no reserve auctions are either stupid newbies that are "having fun" with the whole "auction" thing or its guys who are friends of the seller who help out with some fake bids. I have noticed that you can get more money for something if its in demand and you just start out at a low amount and let the bidding do its thing. People get very into it and pay more than they would if they had seen it for less via buy-it-now.

Its also a V3.754sl so that might be it. I have lost 2 or 3 bids in a row and got pissed and bid a huge crap load above and beyond to just get it over with. lol

13. orogeny

okay, now this is officially equal to or greater than NEW pricing. . . i REALLY don't get this. . . don't they know mike still makes these darn things?
    edit: this is the sunface from earlier post