Fulltone OCD latest version?

GazzaBloom

Getting a bit of a desire for a Fulltone OCD, there some used on Ebay but are older versions, V4. I see the latest is V7, is there a significant difference? Do I want the latest version or are the older one good to go?

New price is good for a latest OCD but used prices are maybe 70% of new.

Gazza

gigs

Plenty of past posts here on this issue. Search the forums.

I use the OCD v1.4 and its been on my board for many years, great pedal... especially with single coil pickups.

IRG

The current v7 (or 1.7 as Fulltone seems to refer it to) is quite good. Has more volume on tap for one thing (compare to v4). And the tone control has been "upgraded" a bit. It would describe it as a medium gain+ overdrive. It can do some low gain, and some high gain - all depending on your pickups/amp. But it resides in the medium gain territory. And $111 new is a pretty big no brainer in my book.

rusty

I own a guitar & I'm 3° from Kevin Bacon
Silver Supporting Member
new price is killer, so i would look there instead of used v?...

fuller has just recently admitted (in his email newsletter) that there is in fact a difference between the later versions...we had a couple threads with pics (and guys who know what the heck we were looking at) that nailed it down pretty well a couple years ago.

real world eyes/ears summary was that impedance was addressed (how it acted in line with other effects), pot values changed (volume and tone taper), diodes were included, then cut, resistor added to the tone pot.

always a minor tweak, but 4 gets a lot of talk about fizz. 5 was only around for a month or two a few summers ago...pretty rare. i like my 6 way more than a 4 i used for a while.

Goku13

I have v4, but I would recommend buying the latest version because I barely had enough volume on tap to use it with my Fender Twin sooooooo yeah. Nice sounding overdrive though :)

meanmud

I've had many OCDs over the years, p/u another a month ago, price is too low not to take advantage of - it's just an easy/great OD/Distortion!

paulg

Gold Supporting Member
Kudos to MF for his new pricing structure. I bought a GT500 for $104 shipped! You won't find a more sturdy pedal. Be sure to get an 18v power supply.

jdel77

I tried a Version (Negative) - 0.68e.
It was a rare one-off OCD - The Prequel, with a hand drawn comet and not a star.
The Mids were just starting to haunt.

TelePrankster

A question for you OCD owners: I always loved this pedal and I read that my VOX AC15C1 should like it.
When I play with my AC15C1 I usually don't use dirt pedals at all, just the Top Boost channel set for dirt and I noticed some similarities between the amp's dirt and some of the OCD tones I've heard on YouTube demos.
Are there some similarities or they're completely different? I suppose the pedal have more gain on top and more options.
I'd like to hear something from people which own both the amp and the pedal.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
I did not like V4 much at all. A friend of mine, Flantrax on the forum also did not like V4. Great guy. I believe he finds V7 it to be
bigger, more open, with a touch more gain.
I am looking to get V7 soon and will report back.

Last edited:

Trending Topics