1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

fulltone ocd question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gbisn1960, Oct 2, 2005.

1. gbisn1960

gbisn1960 Member

hey guys.. long time no post.. anyway.. i was actually looking into the fulltone ocd pedal.. not really on a quest for finding anything spectacular.. just wanted to try one out for a while.. ive kinda set my gear whoredom off to the side for more important things.. but anyway.. i have a menatone red snapper and crowther hot cake and i know how to compare the snapper to other pedals.. but the hot cake has been my favorite now for a while and i was wondering if anyone has been able to compare the two??? i noticed people talking about how the ocd isnt worth it and a lot of them have been up for sale.. im not after searing gain.. just kinda a smooth boost pedal that i can use on any amp.. right now my amp is a matchless hc 30 with 4x12 cab and a strat with rolph pickups as my main guitar.. thanks guys!
    Jon
    www.bdpmusic.com

2. dave s

dave s Member

Interesting. An OCD should be showing up here at work this week--benefactor of the recent low 'sell prices.'

The OCD is going into a Matchless Clubman rig and I'll be playing the Grosh strat as my main guitar.

I'll look for this thread and give you a report on what it does well and what it does not-so-well. I know that matchless amps are really picky about pedals, so dumping money on pedals can be a hit/miss proposition. Mostly miss.

dave

3. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

I have both the Snapper and OCD. IMHO the OCD is more a heavier od to light distortion, whereas the Snapper is a bit smoother and more transparent. Both are good pedals, but they serve different functions to me. I usually keep my OCD in "HP" mode to overdirve the lead channel in my amps, while I use the Snapper thru the clean channel for medium od tones. Both of these pedals can cover some of the same ground sonically, so personal taste will play a big part as well.

4. flicker180

flicker180 Member

i'm torn on the OCD.

i've got mine for sale but i'm still gigging with it. depending on the amp, i either love it or hate it. I prefer overdrive chunk to distortion any day so, when i'm using the OCD (in LP mode currently) i keep the drive at 12 o'clock, tone at 10-12 o'clock and level (volume?) at 11-12 o'clock.

that being said, i've been digging my Demeter FOD-1 a lot more.

dave

5. brent

brent Member

Definitely not a 'bedroom pedal' in my experience.
    I don't find it particularly smooth until you're pushing the amp pretty hard.

I want a 2-stage version ala the Fulldrive

6. flicker180

flicker180 Member

i should add that i'm running mine in 18v mode.

dave

7. E-Rock

E-Rock Member

I'm one of the people that totally loves my OCD.
    I set the gain about half way, so it's really crunchy when I play hard, but it cleans up great when I back off. Then I stack it with a Baked TS9 for over the top leads. I couldn't be happier! I've tried TONS of OD combos, and this is the best, for me.
    I play an old Bassman, just on the edge of breakup, I think that helps the combo a lot.
    The OCD is funny, people either love it or hate it. The funny thing is, I kinda hated when I first got it. Not enough mids.

8. trinitysun

trinitysun Member

how are you doing this? with Y-cable or an 18v adapter? I am running mine at 9V because I have no other option at the moment. How does the higher voltage change the tone?

9. vinni

vinni Member

Hi,

I owned a Crowther Hotcake but at the moment I have the OCD and a Xotic RC running. It's no use to compare the hotcake and the OCD. They are so different. I really dig the OCD. It makes everything more organic and screams. The hotcake has a tottally different sound and has far more compression.

Vinni

10. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I love the dynamics of the OCD. I am all about being able to clean things up with my guitar. But the OCD simply didn't have the tone control it deserved. The heart of that pedal is awesome. I never owned the Distortion Pro, and I am probably the only person who thinks this, but I believe that Mike should have built the OCD into the Distortion Pro format and put a bunch of tone controls on top. It makes a pedal confusing to tweek when that many controls are offered, but it would have been worth it to get those OCD dynamics AND a tone perfectly matched to your rig/style. Ultimately I sold my OCD to the other guitarist in a band I play in. He loves it, and I still get to hear it compared to everything else I buy.

11. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I wouldn't describe the OCD as "smooth boost pedal." All of the harmonics that it adds make it so it isn't smooth, at least through a clean amp.

Bryan

12. flicker180

flicker180 Member

using a Y cable from stompinground.com

cost a pretty penny, but i bought 2 (one for my FD2 and one for the OCD)

dave

13. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Member

I'm running my OCD off two 9 volt batteries, using a gadget I built. See the Tech, Tips and Answers section of the Fulltone web site (www.fiulltone.com) for the wiring diagram. (You'll need two 9 volt battery clips and a 5.5mm x 2.1mm DC power plug and some soldering skills).

14. gbisn1960

gbisn1960 Member

hey dave.. let me know how that comes out.. i did go to the store to play on the pedal.. but i played on something that was close to but defintely not my rig.. tomorrow morning i may go up there with everything and try it out again.. if it doesnt work out.. im just going to swing for the stereo deja vibe.. like i said.. im not on a quest to change my mind on anything.. just trying other stuff out to see if it happens to make my sound better.. the reason i like the hot cake so much is because if you are pushing an amp like a matchless turned up 3/4 and push it with a tubescreamer.. it sounds like its going to bubble over and blow up your amp.. the hot cake mixes with the gain very well.. and i could kinda get that from the ocd.. i think the pedal by itself sounded good but not great.. definitely a bucker style pedal imo.. anyway.. thanks for all the help and im guessing im just gonna have to work with it..
    thanks!
    Jon
    www.bdpmusic.com

15. gbisn1960

gbisn1960 Member

well.. i did it.. i bought the ocd.. installed it on my pedalboard along side the snapper and we will see over the next few weeks how it fairs... i love the build of the pedal.. like a friggin tiger tank! anyway.. havent heard it through my rig yet.. that will be tomorrow.. ill keep all posted.. anyway.. take care
    Jon
    www.bdpmusic.com