1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

fulltone ocd question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gbisn1960, Oct 2, 2005.

1. gbisn1960

gbisn1960 Member

hey guys.. long time no post.. anyway.. i was actually looking into the fulltone ocd pedal.. not really on a quest for finding anything spectacular.. just wanted to try one out for a while.. ive kinda set my gear whoredom off to the side for more important things.. but anyway.. i have a menatone red snapper and crowther hot cake and i know how to compare the snapper to other pedals.. but the hot cake has been my favorite now for a while and i was wondering if anyone has been able to compare the two??? i noticed people talking about how the ocd isnt worth it and a lot of them have been up for sale.. im not after searing gain.. just kinda a smooth boost pedal that i can use on any amp.. right now my amp is a matchless hc 30 with 4x12 cab and a strat with rolph pickups as my main guitar.. thanks guys!
    Jon
    www.bdpmusic.com

2. dave s

dave s Member

Interesting. An OCD should be showing up here at work this week--benefactor of the recent low 'sell prices.'

The OCD is going into a Matchless Clubman rig and I'll be playing the Grosh strat as my main guitar.

I'll look for this thread and give you a report on what it does well and what it does not-so-well. I know that matchless amps are really picky about pedals, so dumping money on pedals can be a hit/miss proposition. Mostly miss.

dave

3. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

I have both the Snapper and OCD. IMHO the OCD is more a heavier od to light distortion, whereas the Snapper is a bit smoother and more transparent. Both are good pedals, but they serve different functions to me. I usually keep my OCD in "HP" mode to overdirve the lead channel in my amps, while I use the Snapper thru the clean channel for medium od tones. Both of these pedals can cover some of the same ground sonically, so personal taste will play a big part as well.

4. flicker180

flicker180 Member

i'm torn on the OCD.

i've got mine for sale but i'm still gigging with it. depending on the amp, i either love it or hate it. I prefer overdrive chunk to distortion any day so, when i'm using the OCD (in LP mode currently) i keep the drive at 12 o'clock, tone at 10-12 o'clock and level (volume?) at 11-12 o'clock.

that being said, i've been digging my Demeter FOD-1 a lot more.

dave

5. brent

brent Member

Definitely not a 'bedroom pedal' in my experience.
    I don't find it particularly smooth until you're pushing the amp pretty hard.

I want a 2-stage version ala the Fulldrive

6. flicker180

flicker180 Member

i should add that i'm running mine in 18v mode.

dave

7. E-Rock

E-Rock Member

I'm one of the people that totally loves my OCD.
    I set the gain about half way, so it's really crunchy when I play hard, but it cleans up great when I back off. Then I stack it with a Baked TS9 for over the top leads. I couldn't be happier! I've tried TONS of OD combos, and this is the best, for me.
    I play an old Bassman, just on the edge of breakup, I think that helps the combo a lot.
    The OCD is funny, people either love it or hate it. The funny thing is, I kinda hated when I first got it. Not enough mids.

8. trinitysun

trinitysun Member

how are you doing this? with Y-cable or an 18v adapter? I am running mine at 9V because I have no other option at the moment. How does the higher voltage change the tone?

9. vinni

vinni Member

Hi,

I owned a Crowther Hotcake but at the moment I have the OCD and a Xotic RC running. It's no use to compare the hotcake and the OCD. They are so different. I really dig the OCD. It makes everything more organic and screams. The hotcake has a tottally different sound and has far more compression.

Vinni

10. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I love the dynamics of the OCD. I am all about being able to clean things up with my guitar. But the OCD simply didn't have the tone control it deserved. The heart of that pedal is awesome. I never owned the Distortion Pro, and I am probably the only person who thinks this, but I believe that Mike should have built the OCD into the Distortion Pro format and put a bunch of tone controls on top. It makes a pedal confusing to tweek when that many controls are offered, but it would have been worth it to get those OCD dynamics AND a tone perfectly matched to your rig/style. Ultimately I sold my OCD to the other guitarist in a band I play in. He loves it, and I still get to hear it compared to everything else I buy.

11. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I wouldn't describe the OCD as "smooth boost pedal." All of the harmonics that it adds make it so it isn't smooth, at least through a clean amp.

Bryan

12. flicker180

flicker180 Member

using a Y cable from stompinground.com

cost a pretty penny, but i bought 2 (one for my FD2 and one for the OCD)

dave

13. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Member

I'm running my OCD off two 9 volt batteries, using a gadget I built. See the Tech, Tips and Answers section of the Fulltone web site (www.fiulltone.com) for the wiring diagram. (You'll need two 9 volt battery clips and a 5.5mm x 2.1mm DC power plug and some soldering skills).

14. gbisn1960

gbisn1960 Member

hey dave.. let me know how that comes out.. i did go to the store to play on the pedal.. but i played on something that was close to but defintely not my rig.. tomorrow morning i may go up there with everything and try it out again.. if it doesnt work out.. im just going to swing for the stereo deja vibe.. like i said.. im not on a quest to change my mind on anything.. just trying other stuff out to see if it happens to make my sound better.. the reason i like the hot cake so much is because if you are pushing an amp like a matchless turned up 3/4 and push it with a tubescreamer.. it sounds like its going to bubble over and blow up your amp.. the hot cake mixes with the gain very well.. and i could kinda get that from the ocd.. i think the pedal by itself sounded good but not great.. definitely a bucker style pedal imo.. anyway.. thanks for all the help and im guessing im just gonna have to work with it..
    thanks!
    Jon
    www.bdpmusic.com

15. gbisn1960

gbisn1960 Member

well.. i did it.. i bought the ocd.. installed it on my pedalboard along side the snapper and we will see over the next few weeks how it fairs... i love the build of the pedal.. like a friggin tiger tank! anyway.. havent heard it through my rig yet.. that will be tomorrow.. ill keep all posted.. anyway.. take care
    Jon
    www.bdpmusic.com