Fulltone OCD Recommendation

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Unadan, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Unadan

Unadan Member

I had a version 3 OCD for several years - never really bonded with it so I sold it. Apparently it has been knighted as the "best version." Anyway, thinking I might want to add this pedal back to my arsenal. Which one should I get know? 4.1.7 or just go with a brand new one and forget about it?

2. louis

louis Supporting Member

Subscribed !!

:munch

3. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Member

I'd say get a new one and forget about it. OCDs are great pedals.

4. mousepunk

mousepunk Member

Version 3 is really the best.

5. AndreasG

AndreasG Member

True. They sound like open amps and don't let you hide behind increased mids and lots of compression...

6. DJ_61

DJ_61 Member

I recently bought version 4. Love it. Have had previous versions that I did not like that much. But... That may be due to the fact that I had not discovered how to use the volume knob in my guitar. The OCD gives you endless shades of gain if you know how to use your guitar pots.....

7. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Member

They are great! Get a new and enjoy the living daylights out of it!

8. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

Always hear way too much added bass and low end clutter when I used them. V1, V2 and V3. Never tried the 4rth version.

9. playthecray

playthecray Member

I just got a version 1.7. I am super impressed with it. The only other version I tried is 1.4. Noticeable differences to my ears between those two versions.

10. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I keep reading this, but Fuller swears they're the same. Would love someone on Mad Bean or some other technical forum to tear them apart and measure values to see if it's true or not.

11. Vt58

Vt58 Supporting Member

I bought a new one after reading a lot about different versions. Mines a v7 and I love the way it sounds. The tone pot seems to work differently than the earlier versions as I run it at 9-12 o clock depending on the gain. It's pretty bright but works great for higher gain settings. Enjoy!

12. ndtealmusic

ndtealmusic Member

My recommendation: don't. They are one of the worst overdrives/distortions I've ever tried. Right alongside the BB Preamp. And I just discredited myself.

But if you must, get a new one. Any subtle differences between them will be easily lost in a band. If you only play at home, by all means, be more discerning. But most of the older versions I've seen sell for $50+ more than a new v4. So if you're gonna do it, save the money. Buy new.

13. broken_sound

broken_sound Silver Supporting Member

This will be fun to watch.

14. playthecray

playthecray Member

I agree 100%. The dynamics on the pedal are off the charts. Controlling your guitar volume and pick attack is a beautiful thing with this pedal. I am pretty happy I decided to give the pedal another shot.

15. Slevin

Slevin Member

Did you play a v2 or something. The gain on those are insane and could be overbearing for some people. I do like the ocd's a lot though.

16. aaronblues

aaronblues Supporting Member

i've owned two (i think both were v3's) and played newer ones (most likely v1.6?). Never really wowed me, i think the COT, Direct Drive and Box of Rock are all better pedals overall, and far more dynamic, tho less gain on tap for 2 of those 3.

i've been thinking about trying one again, for a specific stacked gain tone i haven't been able to get right. If i'm being realistic tho, it's not going to work. The OCD, Hotcake and Fuzz Factory are the 3 pedals that i really really want to work for me but never quite do.

I like the old box look far more. so i'd probably go for that oneĀ…:bonk

cheers

17. Lef T

Lef T Member

I bought one new last month and it is a version 4.
    Sounds really nice through my Twin Reverb Reissue.
    I also use a Timmy.
    Timmy for light breakup and OCD for mid breakup.
    OCD stacked with Timmy gives me a nice, higher gain overdrive.
    I think I'll add a Simble to the mix and have all my overdrive tones covered.
    I play a blues,funk,rock mix,so am not looking for any heavy overdrive
    sounds.

18. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

I have a v1 and I find it very sweet and open. A friend gave me a V4 and I find it gainier and more balanced but to be totally honest they are almost identical if I make music rather than nitpicking.

Are people actually recording and gigging or just obsessing and A/Bing? I'd suggest the former. They all sound amazing. One of my fave all time pedals.

19. ndtealmusic

ndtealmusic Member

No, it was a v4. My gripes have more to do with the general voicing of the pedal. I couldn't find a sweet spot anywhere.

20. jdel77

jdel77 Silver Supporting Member

Be interesting to hear whether or not you tried it through a variety of amps or not...