Fulltone OCD V1.4

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by valvestate, Aug 12, 2019.

1. valvestate

valvestate Member

I think I got a deal for 70 bucks but still waiting for it to be delivered.

Is this still the king of boutique OD pedal? I had a Joyo OD before and I loved it but very fragile ( broke 2 of them during gig)

Any thoughts on this?

2. Tootone

Tootone Member

1.4 and 1.7 became the most desirable versions... but it seems everyone is adamant the version they own is the best.

Me.... I thought (still think) v1.4 and v1.7 sound the best because they have the most bite, but some say too thin and spiky. I settled on a v2.0, which is a compromise between bite and body.

3. axdxm

axdxm Supporting Member

1.4 and 1.7 are the most desirable versions? Check the resale prices and get back to us, lol.

And for what it is worth, I’ve had em all and currently own 3 V1.1’s and 1 V1.2.

4. Tootone

Tootone Member

Yawn

conanb, wilto and Gaheba like this.
  5. axdxm

axdxm Supporting Member

I guess “most desirable” means lowest resale value. Gotcha, chief.

wilto likes this.
  6. Tootone

Tootone Member

Predictable.... the very 1st 2005 Version (1.1) and a later small production run (v1.3) go up in price like milk and bread during a drought.... scarcity.

The habits of hoarders and collectors are not reflective of objective musical qualities.

This discussion of musical preference was being bandied around long before the shock horror news of v1.1 and v1.3 being in short supply. Back then the consensus was that 1.4 had the most realistic amp in a box tones, and v1.7, when it arrived was heralded as a return to the more favoured 1.4 tone.

Roll forward to v2.0 being produced, and discussions centred around getting a v1.7 while you still could because v2.0 used SMT and had its jacks soldered directly to the pcb. Clearly v2.0 saw the end of quality handmade production and was guaranteed to sound like poopoo (sarcasm).

v2.0 also saw the v1.x monicker being adopted for previous models, which until then, had just been known as version 1 through to version 7.

I am forever musically objective in my appraisals of gear and will often do extensive background research before I buy any particular item. I am never influenced by scarcity, rarity, or collector value and expensive price tag kudos.

So when I decided to buy an OCD I went looking for a 1.4 or 1.7 based on all I had researched. At the time, v1.7 was the current model, but in Oz they were all out of stock. Shortly after the v2.0 was announced, so it started to make sense. Australians love panic buying, and to be honest supply is usually quite scarce to begin with.

I carried on waiting for either a v1.4 or v1.7 to appear on Gumtree or eBay... no such luck. I do recall seeing other versions... not particularly expensive... but not musically what I wanted.

I ended up getting tired of waiting and tried a new v2.0. I thought it sounded awesome so I bought it and still have it. It works a treat.

So.... while I am glad to see you have managed to snap up 4 rare and valuable OCD pedals, the fact that they are going up in value, to me, musically, is irrelevant.

7. wannabeatle

wannabeatle Supporting Member

V1.4 sounds awesome, and $70 is a great price. Nice one! Enjoy! I wouldn’t say it’s the king of the boutique overdrives, but it’s a solid workhorse that works really well in a lot of applications through a lot of amps.

valvestate likes this.
  8. jeff_lebowski

jeff_lebowski Member

I always think they sound best with some compression happening after them.

Slightly dirty amp or a pushed clean amp.

I love cranking the volume and adding a little bit of gain, I also think this makes the tone knob more useable through the range.

I use it with Mesa Mark amps.

valvestate likes this.
  9. Ramblin390

Ramblin390 Member

1.1 was my favorite, didn't like 1.3,
    Digging my 1.4

valvestate and axdxm like this.
  10. metrokosmiko

metrokosmiko Member

I've had the 1.7 and v2. Different pedals. Entirely. Different. Pedals. Fulltone should have launched it with a different name.
    1.7 has mids and gets FAT the more you crank it like some amps do. This is what makes it versatile.
    V2 is so flat that, compared to a 1.7, it sounds scooped. It retains much more clarity as you roll up gain (of which it has a ridiculous amount) but that is what makes it sound like a pedal.

You got a deal. Hold on to that.

valvestate likes this.
  11. Tootone

Tootone Member

I was watching an old TPS episode and Mick says its not so much about the pedal, but the amp you are pushing with it.

I think that's definitely true. My AC30 and Blues Deluxe don't like to be pushed in the bass so I find the more bitey pedals preferable. But others might find them too screechy.

There'a a video on YT comparing all of them, side by side. A nice touch is that demoer sets each pedal to the same (approximate) tone for each sample, and doesn't just put all the knobs in the same position as is usually the case.

The 1.4 and 1.7 definitely stand out, and as far as Marshalls go (bright amps) these sound closest. But noone ever authoratively said the OCD was a Marshall In a Box.

What's important to me is clarity on chords and rhythm. I don't like it when dirt pedals turn your chords into a tonal soup - it works musically as a backdrop for some things, but if you're the only guitarist it helps to keep some definition.

Ironically, and being spurred on by this post, I had a look on the Australian Gumtree and today saw a v1.4 and a 1.7 for sale at the same time... lol. I watched for over a year in c. 2015-17 and nothing came up.

That tells me people who have em, are keeping them.

valvestate, Ramblin390 and Gaheba like this.
  12. axdxm

axdxm Supporting Member

I think we got off on the wrong foot, so let me give my personal take.

I too was skeptical about the hype so I bought them to see for myself.

V1.4-1.7 I have owned and didn't find a lot of differences, but I found them to be very bassy and had difficulty working them into a band mix. I tried with many combinations of amps and guitars over the years and just never could fully jive with them. For these pedals to be compared to a "Marshall" tone, I felt like they lacked that bite like you hear in a good Marshall (too smooth). I have probably owned maybe 3-4 V1.7's, alone.

When the V2.0 was released, I bought it the week it came out. It was even more bassy, smooth, had less mids and was unpleasant (buffered or not).

I had a little extra dough, so for fun I bought the V1.1, V1.2 and V1.3 (curious because of the testimonials) to find out once and for all what the deal was. I found V1.3 to sound great for clean tones and a bit too bassy and scooped for heavier ones, though it was significantly more dynamic and voiced better than the V1.7 I had to compare. It had the bite, but was a bit finicky for a band mix.

The V1.1 and V1.2 are very similar and I can confirm, very "Marshall-like". They have that bite, are very touch sensitive and cut through the mix perfectly. I'd say the V1.1 has just a tiny amount more bass than the V1.2 (in a good way), but I can get them to sound very very close. Just by adjusting my volume and tone control, I could do a 4 hour gig through either the V1.1 and V1.2. Just amazing pedals. The main tradeoff, which is present in all but the 2.0 is the buffer issue. But as far as guitar into pedal into amp, its one of the purest OD tones and it just kicks ass. I dig them into Fenders (Bassman, Vibro Champ, Super Reverb), into my Silvertone 1482, into my Two Rock Burnside (tweed type amp), and into vintage Marshalls I have been lucky to try. I also use Kingsley Preamps (both a Plexi and JCM800 version) and it is like having an additional gain stage (very complimentary).

I gig with a Kingsley Constable preamp (Plexi version) into the effects loop return of my Fender Blues Deluxe. Sounds great. Recently, the power adapter crapped out at the beginning of the last set, so I quickly disconnected my board and plugged in my V1.1 (alone) straight into the front of the amp (I keep it for backup just in case). At gig volume, the V1.1 absolutely killed and was similar in touch, feel and voicing as how I have my Constable. I use other pedals and the Constable is more favorable for using delays, fuzzes and a phaser. The OCD is picky about that stuff, I find. In an ideal world, if I had a V1.1 OCD but with none of the buffer issues, I would be happy with that as my only overdrive pedal. When I am at home practicing, the V1.1 is my go-to.

So, while I agree with you that hype doesn't always equal price tag, in this case I was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed the journey. Btw, I was able to get one of my V1.1's off guitar center used for $99.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  13. valvestate

valvestate Member

Just an update I've received the pedal

The GOOD

- As expected, it was extremely well made as expected from fulltone. POTS are tight, all working as expected. I still have my old FD2 and it still rocks! Almost 10 years now on my board
    - The pedal is in MINT condition aside from being velcroed, it still had the old receipt back in 2005 from Anderton's! ;)
    - With box and manual, good for re-sale! LOL

The not so-BAD

- I'm not sure if I'm going to like it. It sounds muffled... I kinda like the LP mode but it still sounds bassy/ muffy... hard to explain
    - Volume unity is somewhere around 11 - 1 o'clock, was expecting more volume
    - I only tried this in 9V and to my practice amp (Vox Pathfinder 15R), I've yet to try in 18V and from my VoX AC15. Hopefully it sounds much better
    - I was expecting more rock-80s sound from this but it can either sound muffled or tinny... but I only ran it with slightly moderate volume.

I can't say for now if I'm going to keep it or sell but I need to try this with my band... full volume and see how it REALLY sounds. :cool:

for $70, not really complaining..

14. Tootone

Tootone Member

Check Inside the pedal to confirm the version... usually written in sharpy or on printed on PCB. 2005 seems a bit early for a 1.4... but I am no expert.

Don't be afraid to turn the Tone high, if not all the way up.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    Big in Japan and valvestate like this.
  15. Jaguar

Jaguar Member

I'm waiting for V1.75 ... I'm sure that one will seriously kick ass..

16. Tootone

Tootone Member

I couldn't find any info on approximate production dates for the various versions.

I did see "low serial number" v1.1 going for stupid money. It's the "brown hair skywalker doll" effect... pffff..

I wonder what the official "low serial number" cut off is?

You have #2499... its worth $600.
    You have #2500, sorry... you'll be lucky to get $100.

17. Gaheba

Gaheba Member

Thats nuts.
    I've only ever had one OCD - v1.6 with the 1.4 2007 circuit board. Love it.
    From the perspective of someone who loves the version i got, and hasn't bothered about all the hoopla re which version is the best, all the hoopla about which version is the best seems like a lot of obsessive compulsive disorderly neuroticism.
    Bottom line, all these versions are great for somebody - seems to me the only defining factor is the rig its plumbed into.

Tootone and valvestate like this.
  18. valvestate

valvestate Member

Makes sense. I wonder which version of OCD did Joyo Ultimate Drive copied from because I remember that it worked perfectly when I was still using my single coiled Fender Stratocaster to a VOX Pathfinder

Now that I switched to all humbucker equipped quiyer and VOX AC15, my overall sound completely change.

Gaheba likes this.
  19. valvestate

valvestate Member

I'll play around when its my off day again. Sucks when I don't play with my band and sometimes just using earphones in my apartment :mad:

20. Buzzard Luck

Buzzard Luck Member

...’Unity volume on the volume control isn’t until around 11-1 o’clock.’ Uh, dude, isn’t all knobies at noon a nice starting point?

This is worth a sorrowful note of complaint?!

Non, non, senior, this is worthy of praise!

Finally a reasonable and useful design!

Dude, turn up the knob towards the right if you need more!!! I bet it GETS MUCH LOUDER!! Plus, now it can be quieter, and no longer any B.S. insane level boost at 9:00am on the level knob. Thank you, Fulltone.

valvestate and captaincoconut like this.