Fulltone OCD V1.4

Jabby92

Thats nuts.
I've only ever had one OCD - v1.6 with the 1.4 2007 circuit board. Love it.
From the perspective of someone who loves the version i got, and hasn't bothered about all the hoopla re which version is the best, all the hoopla about which version is the best seems like a lot of obsessive compulsive disorderly neuroticism.
Bottom line, all these versions are great for somebody - seems to me the only defining factor is the rig its plumbed into.
Definitely agree with this. Every pedal no matter what is gonna sound a bit different depending on the amp/speaker/cabinet/guitar/pickups and what works for someone could be totally different. An EQ pedal is excellent for further overall shaping and I would say the differences that a lot of people seem to brag about aren't near as drastic as they are made out to be with each version of the OCD. I have the 2.0 and love it overall.

valvestate

Check Inside the pedal to confirm the version... usually written in sharpy or on printed on PCB. 2005 seems a bit early for a 1.4... but I am no expert.
I re-checked and I was wrong, it was made in 2010 :cool:

Anyhow, I had a fairly good time with the band last Sunday and was finally able to crank it up with my VOX AC15!

1. I keep on toggling between LP - HP mode but I think LP's much pleasing to the ears since it is slightly compressed so it rolled off the highs. Great for rhythm! Gain was set to like 10 o'clock. I would still use the HP mode though if I really want more edge and grit but playing in a Church, I'm trying to be composed.

2. Still bit annoys me that I had to set the volume though at almost 2 o'clock on LP mode just to compensate with the band but it is what it is. Just my pet peeves, I guess. .

3. I was amazed with the quality of the pedal... very quite on stage, no popping sound on amp. 100% quality made product. I like it.

Overall, I decided that I will keep this! It just works in a band! I love it although I'm still in a look out for a version 1.7! :D

Gear used was: Fender Strat HSS > TS9 Mini > OCD > DD-7 > VOX AC15

Tootone

I re-checked and I was wrong, it was made in 2010 :cool:

Anyhow, I had a fairly good time with the band last Sunday and was finally able to crank it up with my VOX AC15!

1. I keep on toggling between LP - HP mode but I think LP's much pleasing to the ears since it is slightly compressed so it rolled off the highs. Great for rhythm! Gain was set to like 10 o'clock. I would still use the HP mode though if I really want more edge and grit but playing in a Church, I'm trying to be composed.

2. Still bit annoys me that I had to set the volume though at almost 2 o'clock on LP mode just to compensate with the band but it is what it is. Just my pet peeves, I guess. .

3. I was amazed with the quality of the pedal... very quite on stage, no popping sound on amp. 100% quality made product. I like it.

Overall, I decided that I will keep this! It just works in a band! I love it although I'm still in a look out for a version 1.7! :D

Gear used was: Fender Strat HSS > TS9 Mini > OCD > DD-7 > VOX AC15
Try levelling your TS and OCD. I have my TS set just above unity and the OD (RAT or OCD) set just a bit louder than the TS.

If you have TS and OCD on together, try HP mode for a really cutting lead tone.

Don't get hung up on where the volume knob is pointing... whatever is right, is right.

hotrats73

Supporting Member
Had a 1.4 that sounded awseome with my jtm45 clone.

Didn't liked it as much with other amps.

BLNKSN

play music with your ears and not your eyes. sometimes settings that look counter-intuitive on pedals actually sound awesome.

cardinal

Figure I'll ask in here since this thread is reasonably active:

So which version preserves the most bass frequencies? I keep reading conflicting things. Version 1.1? Version 1.4?

I would be using this for bass guitar, so I'm interested in whichever one cuts the least amount of bass. Currently I'm using a Turbo Rat for bass overdrive duties, and that's working well but of course that means I need something else to try.

metrokosmiko

Definitely agree with this. Every pedal no matter what is gonna sound a bit different depending on the amp/speaker/cabinet/guitar/pickups and what works for someone could be totally different. An EQ pedal is excellent for further overall shaping and I would say the differences that a lot of people seem to brag about aren't near as drastic as they are made out to be with each version of the OCD. I have the 2.0 and love it overall.
There is a drastic difference between 1.7 and the v2, though. I had them both and did a shootout. It's night and day.
I haven't tried any earlier than 1.7 and believe they might be similar, but the v2 is a different pedal.

valvestate

There is a drastic difference between 1.7 and the v2, though. I had them both and did a shootout. It's night and day.
I haven't tried any earlier than 1.7 and believe they might be similar, but the v2 is a different pedal.
This is what I hate with OCD... they have different versions and they generally sound great depending on your equipment IMO.

Prior in purchasing my V1.4, I had the chance to demo the newest V2.0 from a store also doing A/B with a Fulltone Plimsoul.

I used a Fender Strat HSS to a Marshall Tube Amp. I remembered that although OCD sounded great for mighty sounds, I really liked the warmth and sustain from the Plimsoul when doing solods... i think THAT is truly an underrated pedal.

Too bad I didn't have enough money but I wanted to purchase their purple/ silver Plimsoul !

earwax

Just got a 1.4 today to compare against the 2.0 I have. Previously have owned a 1.4 before and also a 1.7.

I went back and forth between them. I think the 1.4 will cut better but I love that low end growl from the 2.0.

I prefer the 1.4 volume knob. The 2.0 goes from 0-60 too fast for me.

Strumlord

I think we got off on the wrong foot, so let me give my personal take.

I too was skeptical about the hype so I bought them to see for myself.

V1.4-1.7 I have owned and didn't find a lot of differences, but I found them to be very bassy and had difficulty working them into a band mix. I tried with many combinations of amps and guitars over the years and just never could fully jive with them. For these pedals to be compared to a "Marshall" tone, I felt like they lacked that bite like you hear in a good Marshall (too smooth). I have probably owned maybe 3-4 V1.7's, alone.

When the V2.0 was released, I bought it the week it came out. It was even more bassy, smooth, had less mids and was unpleasant (buffered or not).

I had a little extra dough, so for fun I bought the V1.1, V1.2 and V1.3 (curious because of the testimonials) to find out once and for all what the deal was. I found V1.3 to sound great for clean tones and a bit too bassy and scooped for heavier ones, though it was significantly more dynamic and voiced better than the V1.7 I had to compare. It had the bite, but was a bit finicky for a band mix.

The V1.1 and V1.2 are very similar and I can confirm, very "Marshall-like". They have that bite, are very touch sensitive and cut through the mix perfectly. I'd say the V1.1 has just a tiny amount more bass than the V1.2 (in a good way), but I can get them to sound very very close. Just by adjusting my volume and tone control, I could do a 4 hour gig through either the V1.1 and V1.2. Just amazing pedals. The main tradeoff, which is present in all but the 2.0 is the buffer issue. But as far as guitar into pedal into amp, its one of the purest OD tones and it just kicks ass. I dig them into Fenders (Bassman, Vibro Champ, Super Reverb), into my Silvertone 1482, into my Two Rock Burnside (tweed type amp), and into vintage Marshalls I have been lucky to try. I also use Kingsley Preamps (both a Plexi and JCM800 version) and it is like having an additional gain stage (very complimentary).

I gig with a Kingsley Constable preamp (Plexi version) into the effects loop return of my Fender Blues Deluxe. Sounds great. Recently, the power adapter crapped out at the beginning of the last set, so I quickly disconnected my board and plugged in my V1.1 (alone) straight into the front of the amp (I keep it for backup just in case). At gig volume, the V1.1 absolutely killed and was similar in touch, feel and voicing as how I have my Constable. I use other pedals and the Constable is more favorable for using delays, fuzzes and a phaser. The OCD is picky about that stuff, I find. In an ideal world, if I had a V1.1 OCD but with none of the buffer issues, I would be happy with that as my only overdrive pedal. When I am at home practicing, the V1.1 is my go-to.

So, while I agree with you that hype doesn't always equal price tag, in this case I was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed the journey. Btw, I was able to get one of my V1.1's off guitar center used for $99.
Plenty of threads regarding the differences of these versions, you pretty much nailed it on the differences.

V1.1 will always be my favorite, it feels the most raw tonewise. V1.2 is My next favorite, also the hardest to find, a little more balanced than V1.1

I’m also going agree that it’s a subtle difference between 1.4 and 1.7

V2.0 is one I couldn’t stand.

2Badde

Run at 18 volts.

Use more pedal volume at the start. slowly raise the gain knob.

Tone to taste.
Yes to this! I really appreciate the impact of the volume control on the OCD. For me, it is very flexible and interacts so well with even slight gain adjustments. 18V all day.