Fulltone OCD V1.4

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by valvestate, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Definitely agree with this. Every pedal no matter what is gonna sound a bit different depending on the amp/speaker/cabinet/guitar/pickups and what works for someone could be totally different. An EQ pedal is excellent for further overall shaping and I would say the differences that a lot of people seem to brag about aren't near as drastic as they are made out to be with each version of the OCD. I have the 2.0 and love it overall.

valvestate and Gaheba like this.
  2. valvestate

valvestate Member

I re-checked and I was wrong, it was made in 2010 :cool:

Anyhow, I had a fairly good time with the band last Sunday and was finally able to crank it up with my VOX AC15!

1. I keep on toggling between LP - HP mode but I think LP's much pleasing to the ears since it is slightly compressed so it rolled off the highs. Great for rhythm! Gain was set to like 10 o'clock. I would still use the HP mode though if I really want more edge and grit but playing in a Church, I'm trying to be composed.

2. Still bit annoys me that I had to set the volume though at almost 2 o'clock on LP mode just to compensate with the band but it is what it is. Just my pet peeves, I guess. .

3. I was amazed with the quality of the pedal... very quite on stage, no popping sound on amp. 100% quality made product. I like it.

Overall, I decided that I will keep this! It just works in a band! I love it although I'm still in a look out for a version 1.7! :D

Gear used was: Fender Strat HSS > TS9 Mini > OCD > DD-7 > VOX AC15

3. Tootone

Tootone Member

Try levelling your TS and OCD. I have my TS set just above unity and the OD (RAT or OCD) set just a bit louder than the TS.

If you have TS and OCD on together, try HP mode for a really cutting lead tone.

Don't get hung up on where the volume knob is pointing... whatever is right, is right.

valvestate likes this.
  4. valvestate

valvestate Member

Thanks for the tip!

All good, my OCD 1.4 is now a staple on my board. I just like it.. ! :banana

My Timmy before it makes it also sing!

Stratofuzz likes this.
  5. hotrats73

hotrats73 Member

Had a 1.4 that sounded awseome with my jtm45 clone.

Didn't liked it as much with other amps.

6. BLNKSN

BLNKSN Member

play music with your ears and not your eyes. sometimes settings that look counter-intuitive on pedals actually sound awesome.

Gaheba and valvestate like this.
  7. cardinal

cardinal Member

Figure I'll ask in here since this thread is reasonably active:

So which version preserves the most bass frequencies? I keep reading conflicting things. Version 1.1? Version 1.4?

I would be using this for bass guitar, so I'm interested in whichever one cuts the least amount of bass. Currently I'm using a Turbo Rat for bass overdrive duties, and that's working well but of course that means I need something else to try.

8. hotrats73

hotrats73 Member

For bass I'll suggest something with a mix (wet/dry) control.

9. metrokosmiko

metrokosmiko Member

There is a drastic difference between 1.7 and the v2, though. I had them both and did a shootout. It's night and day.
    I haven't tried any earlier than 1.7 and believe they might be similar, but the v2 is a different pedal.

sanfi4u likes this.
  10. valvestate

valvestate Member

This is what I hate with OCD... they have different versions and they generally sound great depending on your equipment IMO.

Prior in purchasing my V1.4, I had the chance to demo the newest V2.0 from a store also doing A/B with a Fulltone Plimsoul.

I used a Fender Strat HSS to a Marshall Tube Amp. I remembered that although OCD sounded great for mighty sounds, I really liked the warmth and sustain from the Plimsoul when doing solods... i think THAT is truly an underrated pedal.

Too bad I didn't have enough money but I wanted to purchase their purple/ silver Plimsoul !

11. Clark GriswoId

Clark GriswoId Supporting Member

Run at 18 volts.

Use more pedal volume at the start. slowly raise the gain knob.

Tone to taste.

2Badde, Stratofuzz and James like this.
  12. earwax

earwax Supporting Member

Just got a 1.4 today to compare against the 2.0 I have. Previously have owned a 1.4 before and also a 1.7.

I went back and forth between them. I think the 1.4 will cut better but I love that low end growl from the 2.0.

I prefer the 1.4 volume knob. The 2.0 goes from 0-60 too fast for me.

valvestate likes this.
  13. Strumlord

Strumlord Member

Plenty of threads regarding the differences of these versions, you pretty much nailed it on the differences.

V1.1 will always be my favorite, it feels the most raw tonewise. V1.2 is My next favorite, also the hardest to find, a little more balanced than V1.1

I’m also going agree that it’s a subtle difference between 1.4 and 1.7

V2.0 is one I couldn’t stand.

valvestate likes this.
  14. 2Badde

2Badde Member

Yes to this! I really appreciate the impact of the volume control on the OCD. For me, it is very flexible and interacts so well with even slight gain adjustments. 18V all day.

valvestate likes this.