Fulltone OCD versions help

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by AndreasG, Feb 27, 2015.

1. AndreasG

AndreasG Member

Anybody knows more about them? I see pedals advertised as Version 4 (lots of them), then Verison 1.4 (is that the same one), version 6 or 7.... i tried a verison 6 and liked it very much, but heard some verions are better than others, also some have way more volume than others which I would prefer. Anybody canhelp me out?
    Thanks

2. silversonic65

silversonic65 Member

3. 8len8

8len8 Member

This is a common question here. Try using the search engine and you'll find the answer.

4. AndreasG

AndreasG Member

Thanks, the link is quite useful, but Nowadays there are already verisons 1.6 and 1.7....
    I tried the search, but OCD beeing only 3 letters it doesn't work quite well

5. Drill71

Drill71 Member

6. AndreasG

AndreasG Member

Thanks a lot..now it's way clearer...

7. Scott57

Scott57 Member

Just a comment. I bought an OCD several years ago (in the 55,000 serial number range) and it is clearly marked inside that it's a version 1.4. After reading the above threads and watching the videos, three weeks ago I took the chance and purchased another OCD (in the 111,000 serial number range). Comparing the two, the newer sounds better to me, IMO. However, when I opened it up there's no version number listed inside at all. So I'm not sure if I have a v7 or not. Maybe it was an omission or maybe Fulltone decided to stop listing version numbers

:dunno

8. BrentSP

BrentSP Supporting Member

I have a v3 and just bought a new one. Mine was made 2/11/15 (I don't remember the serial) and it says 1.7v

9. manticorefx

manticorefx Member

I know this is an old thread, but I've been looking at OCD guts, so hopefully I can add some insight on versions after 4. Pedalarea.com has info on v1-v4.

Early v4 OCDs were built on v3 PCBs. When Fulltone started building them with v4 PCBs, they were marked 1.4. They used this PCB all the way through all but the latest v7's. At some point during the production of v7 (1.7), they made a new PCB which is labeled as 1.7. Versions 1.5, 1.6, and early 1.7s are all built on 1.4 boards. The real version number is marked on the inside of the enclosure with sharpy.

------

Version 1.4 has a germanium diode in the clipping section, a 500kA volume pot, and a capacitor marked C2.

Version 1.5 has a jumper in place of the germanium diode, a 100kA volume pot, and seems to be missing (or its on the other side of the PCB, the pads are filled with solder, so it's hard to tell if the cap is there or they're just filled in.)

Version 1.6 has no germanium diode, a 100kB volume pot, and also seems to be missing C2.

Version 1.7 has no germanium diode, a 100kB volume pot, and also seems to be missing C2. The 1.7s on the 1.4 PCB have the diode jumpered, while the new 1.7 PCB doesn't even have solder pads for it.

I don't see any obvious differences between 1.6 and 1.7, but I'm only looking at photos and can't make out most of the component values.

------

I also came across a unit (46771) that is marked "v1.4.100k.V". It has a 100kA volume pots. Looks like a transition between 4 and 5.

Enusire likes this.
  10. Monstercastle

Monstercastle Supporting Member

I remember hearing the 1.4 was the latest, and the 1.7 stuff started as a joke.

11. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

I'm no expert on these, but I had an older v3 and now have the newest version. The v3 seemed like it had a flubbier bottom end and more subdued top end, where as the new one sounds more balanced to me across the spectrum.

12. TheKermitC

TheKermitC Member

an alternate comment..

stop researching the OCP ..there are far more better pedals in every respect ( transparency, solos etc)

13. eattheapple1979

eattheapple1979 Member

I know OCP is a threat...ask Robocop for details.
    However I get the point and maybe you're right.
    So, in your opinion, an "overall better OCD" pedal, in the same price range, would be....?

14. TheKermitC

TheKermitC Member

Barber Gain Changer, Wampler Euphoria are good allrounders.. again depends what you are looking for

I still have my OCD though..

My favourite though is a Hotcake, but I havent played this through other amps except my Vox

15. eattheapple1979

eattheapple1979 Member

I do have a Barber Gain Changer too (yes, great allrounder!) and I find it quite different from the OCD, same as the Hotcake (yes, superb with VOXy amps) ..maybe my ears are gone :)

16. TheKermitC

TheKermitC Member

yes. hence I mentioned for what application you need the OCD..... I did not find the OCD excelling at anything particular...I liked the rhythm sound in LP mode... but the liked the Euphoria better..