Fulltone OCD Versions

guitardan

Silver Supporting Member
I'm in the market for an OCD, (had one a few years back) but I see that you can buy the latest version for ~$ 115.00 online, and I also see that some are trying to sell their early versions for upwards of $175.

What gives? Aren't the later versions better w/ the improvements made over the years?

Thx - Dan

gearscrubs

Current version (v4 aka 1.7) sounds great. Some prefer v3, but I wouldn't hesitate to get a new one.

guitardan

Silver Supporting Member
Cool !
I have a new Fulldrive III that I think is better than the old FD II that I had, so i figured they were making improvements....
Thx : ) -

IRG

Current version (v4 aka 1.7) sounds great. Some prefer v3, but I wouldn't hesitate to get a new one.
Not sure about that. v7 isn't exactly the same as v4. I had the v4 years ago, and liked it. Eventually sold it, but recall it didn't have an overly amount of volume, and it was a bit less open, less bright. The current v7 has a lot more volume, and the treble control seems to have been tweaked too. I like it a lot, glad to have it back on my board. From the grapevine I've heard v5/6 are pretty uncommon - no idea what changed on those models.

gearscrubs

Not sure about that. v7 isn't exactly the same as v4. I had the v4 years ago, and liked it. Eventually sold it, but recall it didn't have an overly amount of volume, and it was a bit less open, less bright. The current v7 has a lot more volume, and the treble control seems to have been tweaked too. I like it a lot, glad to have it back on my board. From the grapevine I've heard v5/6 are pretty uncommon - no idea what changed on those models.
Yeah I'm not sure, either. I think I remember reading that Fuller considers the current production model to still be v4, even though the circuit board says 1.7. Could be wrong about that.

rusty

I own a guitar & I'm 3° from Kevin Bacon
Silver Supporting Member
fuller has just recently admitted (in his email newsletter quoted below) that there is in fact a difference between the later versions...we had a couple threads with pics (and guys who know what the heck we were looking at) that nailed it down pretty well a couple years ago...even a supposed reply on email from fuller saying they were all the same after 4!

anyway...the real world eyes/ears summary was that impedence was addressed, pot values changed (volume and tone taper), diodes were included, then cut, resistor added to the tone pot. always a minor tweak, but 4 gets a lot of hate. i like my 6 way more than a 4 i used for a while.

5 was only around for a month or two a few summers ago. shoot, i remember when everyone hated version 1's brightness hahahahaha

michael fuller said:
So which really is the best version of the OCD?

The current version, of course, the final version.... v1.7.
OCD, better than you remember or your money back.
If you haven't tried one lately, you need to try it again...Sweetened high-end, much better tone control! Lovers of early OCD's will really love this one.

Last edited:

Blues Power

I have an early early v.1 XX3X

was on the waiting list with all the hype before the came about. paid $185 back then from a online mom and pop

they weren't in the chain stores at that time.

I like it heavy chord work and not so much for leeds.

i like it best for Chicago songs like. Im a Man or South California purples, works for paranoid and
All Right now type songs where there are more chords than leeds....just my.002

Trending Topics