Fulltone OCD vs Gaspedals Carb

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by VoodooBlues, Jul 23, 2006.

1. VoodooBlues

VoodooBlues Member

I'm really interested in purchasing one of these two OD's and was wondering which of these two pedals most TGP members prefer. They're both supposed to be amp-like and clean up well with the volume knob. They also seem to cover somewhat similar ground tonally. For people who have owned and played both, which one did they prefer and why?

2. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I agree with QOTSA that both pedals are open and uncompressed sounding, but that is about where their similarities end to me. The Carb is a low to med-low gain pedal that is really more of a booster than an od. It is intended more for pushing a cooking amp over the edge and fattening up the tone. If you are familiar with the CoT50, the Carb is very similar except for the added convenience of a volume knob and the toggle switch for different bass settings. It sounds OK into a clean at amp at lower volumes but it really does its thing at stage volume, IMO.
    The OCD is a great od that borders on distortion and can go from Fender tube od to Marshall 18 watt crunch. It can do all of that into a clean amp at lower or higher volumes. The OCD offers a huge amount of volume boost, actually more than the Carb, but the Carb is less colored and sounds less like a pedal to me.
    They are both great pedals, but I don't think they really cover the same territory. Having both would not be redundant at all.

3. Plan9FOS

Plan9FOS Member

OCD for Marshall tones ... use it every gig on my clean channel to go over the top with crunch. Also does an excellent boost on a semi-dirty channel for pushing it into killer lead territory.

The tone knob on the OCD makes it my main overdrive. Easilly bop between Strat and LP style guitars with a simple tweek tot hat knob, and maintain the great sound.

4. mprvise

mprvise Member

I'll be able to tell you in a few weeks (custom Carb on order). I have an early OCD that I still love and use from time to time. The COT50 sees more gig duty though.

5. VoodooBlues

VoodooBlues Member

Thanks for the replies and the wealth of information. Based on what you've all said, i'll most likely be getting both of them. I was afraid that getting both would be redundant. I almost hoped that they would be. LOL. My co-workers can't believe I spend so much on pedals.

6. E-Rock

E-Rock Member

Carb. The OCD sounds really good, but the Carb feels killer!

7. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Just what i was thinking.

8. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, sorry for the muddy explanation of the Carb. I didn't mean a booster in the way of a clean boost. It is difficult for me to put it in words the kind of od it has. I find it most similar to the CoT, yet different.

9. uncledevo

uncledevo Member

I hate to skew this thread, but I'm a newbie to TGP so they won't let me start my own yet. Anyone here have experience with the Gaspedals Carb, the Fulltone OCD and the Rodenberg 828 Gas pedal? I have the Rodenberg pedal, its a great OD, very versitile, but if I was to add to the aresenal, which of the other two would you recommend and why?