Fulltone OCD vs. Rocket Animal - anyone have experiences?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ToneCaptain, May 4, 2016.

1. ToneCaptain

ToneCaptain Member

I'm trying to find a pedal to drive a clean amp for a crunch tone (to give you an idea what i'm going for... I want something that gets pretty close to a Plexi super lead or generally vintage, low- to mid-gain marshall territory, so i am not interested in modern tones or high gain for this sound).

I have narrowed it down to the OCD and Animal for various reasons (price, availability, etc. in Europe).
    What are your experiences with/between these two? :dunno In case it matters, the clean channel is a blackface-inspired preamp and 50w 6L6 power amp.

2. Dunzie

Dunzie Member

Happy to pass along my experience for what it's worth... had both of those pedals and no longer have either. I have three 6L6 amps as a reference.

The OCD I think has to be the biggest disappointment I've ever had in a pedal. I had read a lot of people talking about how it was a great one and was really looking forward to playing it. But I could not dial out a harsh and unpleasant fizziness to it no matter what I did, and wasn't prepared to dial my amp differently for one pedal when I have several others I liked already. I just couldn't find a setting where I enjoyed playing it at all, and it became one of the quickest turnarounds I've done.

The Animal I actually liked. My problem was only that once I dialed up the gain it had a little too much noise with my single coil guitars, and while I liked it with the gain down, I had other low gain pedals I liked more... like the Blue Note from Rockett and the Prince of Tone. I was specifically hoping to run it as a cranked gain MIAB, which wasn't its forte. Sounds like you aren't looking for a high gain setting, so for that I think I would highly recommend the Animal for a tasty low-mid gain MIAB pedal. The Blue Note is as you might expect a lot smoother and to me also more dynamic but if it's that Marshall drive you're after the Animal does it very well.

joealba likes this.
  3. ToneCaptain

ToneCaptain Member

That's very helpful, thanks!!

4. hendrik7

hendrik7 Member

On the contrary I think the OCD is great. Probably my favorite crunch pedal. I always run it on 12V or 18V though.

5. ToneCaptain

ToneCaptain Member

Thanks! What do you like about it? Have you compared it to other similar pedals?

6. hendrik7

hendrik7 Member

I just like its character. It's chewy and versatile. It adapts to amps like a champ. It goes back and forth between my Vox and Fender with ease whereas my Ts9 throws a fit everytime I try to introduce it to the Vox.

The BB is somewhat comparable but I feel the OCD is much more versatile, especially on lower volumes. It also feels warmer than the BB for a lack of a better word.

7. BBSuggs

BBSuggs Gold Supporting Member

I have both the OCD and Animal on my board right now. The Animal is newer to me, so it's getting more play time. I could go either way. If I had to clear space, I'd pull the OCD, but that could change over time.

Perhaps I should note that I run through an el34 marshallesque amp with MV. The master is usually at 5-7 and the gain is at 3-4 (30watts/2x12cab). That's fairly clean, but probably not as clean as your amp. If you're amp is clean clean, I'd recommend the Animal.

Further, you may want to consider the Rockett .45 Caliber. I hear it's quieter, although my Animal isn't noisy - to my ears.

Good luck!

8. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

It looks like Thomann sells both of these pedals. Would it be possible to buy both of them and try them side by side? You could return the one you didn't like.

9. trap

trap Supporting Member

I like the OCD with the gain at noon or below. Sounds a little artificial above that.
    Now the Prince of tone is amazing!

ToneCaptain likes this.
  10. paulitk

paulitk Member

I need to try this.

11. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

I've owned both, I still have the OCD. The Animal had more available gain but sounded narrower and just not as pleasing to me, through my rig at least. It was also substantially noisier. The OCD has a fullness about it that I love, very amplike. For gainier Marshall tones, I preferred both the Marvel Drive and Brownie to the Animal.

Silenceborn likes this.
  12. richpjr

richpjr Member

Haven't owned an OCD but have an Animal. Great sounding pedal, but I agree with Dunzie that it is pretty noisy - to the point I don't have it on my board any more.

13. Fulldrive-1

Fulldrive-1 Member

Tried the OCD. It makes frying sounds through your amplifier.
    The Animal's a mediocre OD pedal. Not bad but not great.

If you can, score a Wampler Pinnacle, cut the gain back as desired.

14. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

I totally agree. I run mine at 18V, makes a big difference.

I have V2 and V4. I personally like V2 better.

15. ToneCaptain

ToneCaptain Member

Thanks! Yes I'm planning to do that once I've narrowed my choice down. I guess I will give the Animal and the OCD a shot but perhaps a third one couldn't hurt.

16. ToneCaptain

ToneCaptain Member

Haha ok thanks. What amp were you using your pedals through?
    Is the Wampler Pinnacle capable of 60s plexi-style tones according to your experience? I heard that it was great for the hot-rodded marshall sound but that's not what I am after.

17. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

Sounds good. I have been lucky in that, through reading a lot, knowing what I wanted out of a piece of equipment, and online listening, most everything that I have ever purchased without first hearing or comparing has worked out pretty well. Recently though I did get to try 2 pedals side by side before buying and it is definitely great when you can do that.

By the way, I have the OCD (but not the Animal). It sounds great and is very versatile. While it works fine into a variety of different amps, for me it is great because it is the only overdrive that really complements my Budda Superdrive. It is much more transparent than the typical mid-boosted overdrive but, at the same time, it doesn't thin out the higher notes.

ToneCaptain likes this.
  18. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

I used an OCD years ago.

Lately I had a Rockett Animal and replaced it with the Xotic SL Drive.

Try out the SL Drive. Great sounding pedal for not much money.

19. Dunzie

Dunzie Member

If we're suggesting other MIAB's for you to consider... I liked the Pinnacle OK and kept it around a fairly long time, eventually sold because it's got that typical Wampler dirt "sag" that just didn't quite agree 100% with me, despite being a good sounding MIAB overall for sure... also had the Marvel Drive which I really liked once you get it dialed and understand the relationship between the two drive controls... I also have had the two Bogners Red and Blue (dry sounding but many love them)... I've also had the Catalinbread DLS MkIII (decent and IMHO best when gain is lower) and RAH (didn't care for it). And right now I have the JHS Angry Charlie v3, JHS Andy Timmons AT, and Rockett 45 Caliber. All three are great, the two JHS are what I was after for HIGH gain Marshall drive tones, but they are definitely not aimed at low gain stuff you mention. The 45-Cal is great for low gain stuff, but doesn't have as much gain on tap as some of the others.

The number of MIAB choices available is off the charts, has to be the most aimed-at pedal market segment ever. But the good news is there are lots of good choices. I haven't had the MI Crunch pedals, but man they sound great in Brett Kingman's demo vids. The Rockett Led Boots isn't a high gain monster, but it's got a very cool dynamic to it, the more you dig in the more it bites and responds... and might be what you're after. I love the Prince of Tone as someone else mentioned but I wouldn't say it's aiming to be a MIAB.

Silenceborn likes this.