Fulltone OCD vs Xotic BB Preamp - Opinions Please

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Axe-maniac, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Axe-maniac

Axe-maniac Member

Hi Guys,
    I am looking to add a slightly higher gain pedal to my collection. I have the low & mid gains covered nicely by my Barber LTD's (SR & Black v2), Hotcake, Silver Kiss & Blues pro but want something for the slightly higher gain stuff. Note I am not looking for all out distortion, I had a Crunch box and it was good but not for me. Somethong that doesn't compress too much and will work for rhythm and lead.
    So what are your opinions on the Xotic vs the OCD and maybe a Keeley BD-2 or anythiong else for that matter?
    I play mostly strats into a Genz Benz Black Pearl (4 x EL84's - very Voxish).
    Thanks.

2. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

I'll be getting an OCD v2 some time next week to run in front of my AC30. As I recall, both pedals actually sound pretty similar at higher gain settings. The OCD just has more range.

3. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

I have both and use both! I wouldnt pick one over the other but I would say the BB as more mids and thicker and more for leads in my opinion.....the ocd has less mids and works better for rhythm tones........they both clean up nicely with volume knob on a strat. I have both and will keep both on my board

4. aksman

aksman Member

+1.

5. Axe-maniac

Axe-maniac Member

Hmm, interesting. maybe I need both :AOK
    Which do you think sounds better into a clean amp?

6. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

I am using both right now too. They are both pretty similar with the OCD having perhaps a more trashy punkish tone if you want it. I mean that in a good way. It has some charactor to it. The BB is great too, I like it a bit better for an overdrive tone. Both are extremely versatile and cover a large spectrum. I am favoring the OCD a bit more but I have played it longer and am more used to its little tricks. You really can't go wrong with either.

I am using them mainly into a Vox AC-15 set slightly distorted when you slam the strings. I can't speak about playing it into a clean amp. I will try them into my Fender Pro, you've got me curious now. I occasionally play gigs with rented back lines and usually end up with a Fender Twin. This will be good to know, which one to take on those occasions. I did use my OCD on such a situation and it was great. Don't know how the BB will fair but likely just as good.

7. gearboy

gearboy Member

I kept my OCD V2 over the BB. The BB was nice but seemed a little dull to me. cr8z4life described it best I think.....

8. TimH

TimH Member

If I had to choose one (I have them both here right now) It'd be the OCD. Unfortunately they excel at very different things...in general I'd take the BB for leads and OCD fo rhythm. If you've got a TS type pedal that might help the OCD stack and get a nice lead tone...

9. HBob

HBob Member

I have both also and would probably suggest the OCD if you don't want much compression. I think the OCD stacks a little better when doing higher gain sounds. The OCD and Solver Kiss would probably play well together.

10. Bluewail

Bluewail Tone curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Well I'll go against the trend here and vote for the BB Preamp over the OCD. I've had both V.1 and V.3 OCD's and could never dial out an annoying hi-end fizz in those pedals. I use primarily single coil guitars and perhaps it's not the best match. The BB is thicker as folks have commented, and a bit less open than the OCD but it can be dialed up for a pretty broad range of gain including over the top stuff. Regardless of the settings, the eq works really well to adjust the tone to your taste and gear. The BB, while less open than OCD, is really not very compressed at all compared to let's say a Barber Direct Drive which it replaced in my arsenal.

11. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs Silver Supporting Member

I have both. They do!

12. Axe-maniac

Axe-maniac Member

Great stuff. I think I am going to start by trying the new BB plus, I may just pick up an OCD later on.

Thanks guys.

13. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

I have all three. I cannot comment on the 1.4 OCD, I have 1.3 (or version 3 as it is known by most). I would rank them all this way...

- Keeley BD-2: is an all out great low gain pedal with very little noise. Extremely open and smooth. Top notch for smokey blues, with a hollow or scooped character. Very John Mayer-ish in a good way. It says "blues" more to me than other low gain options out there. The downsides are a lack of true-bypass and it doesn't do higher gain very well in my opinion.

- BB: is a very good crunch and sustain sounding rock and blues pedal. It's EQ makes it easy and fast to tune to different amps. It's noise is low. It's very compressed, which makes it sound less good with a quieter amp and really good with a cranked amp. It also does higher gain the best of the three. It is the least scooped in the mids of the three options, as well.

- OCD: is my favorite overdrive pedal. It doesn't do as well at high gain as the BB, but better than the BD-2. It's very low noise, and very open sounding also. It does the best with rolling the guitar vol for different drive levels. It also "bends" the most with dynamic playing. It has an amp-like response that I really love. It is something that I notice missing when I move to other pedals. It is a touch heavy in bass, but I like that. I helps get the Hendrix or SRV push in the lows. If that is not your thing, the BB allows you to control that better.

All three are great pedals and fill a nitch in the gain range. The most versatile is the BB. But, there is something to the OCD's character that makes it work better for me. If you have an LTD already, you probably have the BD-2 range covered.

14. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

15. CodeTitan

CodeTitan Member

I currently own the BB and BB Plus. In the past I owned an earlier version of the OCD. The BB is more compressed and warmer sounding than the OCD. It's almost difficult to dial in a bad tone with the BB. The OCD also had some nice tones that you could dial in, but in my opinion the highs could get kind of harsh and piercing. With the BB Plus you can get the sound of the BB, but you can also dial in a distortion that is very similar to the OCD. On the BB Plus if you set the Comp switch to "Soft", you get a very uncompressed and very dynamic touch sensitive distortion that cleans up nicely when you play soft.

16. Axe-maniac

Axe-maniac Member

More great info - thanks guys.
    CodeTitan, what your saying about the BB+ getting similar tones to the OCD reinforces my leaning towards getting the BB+.
    Great stuff guys.

17. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

Is the BB amplike like the OCD?