Fulltone Octafuzz

wingwalker

Fuzzy Guitars
Any reason NOT to buy this unit??

Is the Chicago Iron really that much better to be worth the extra cost?

jwny72

I have the Octafuzz, and can vouch for it being totally great. According to the Fulltone website, it's an exact clone of the Octavia that Hendrix used, and to my ears it sounds just like it.

Other options might be more versatile and provide alternative options in addition to the authentic Octavia sound, but I can't imagine anything getting "closer" to an original Octavia since the Octafuzz seems to be just like an original Octavia.

I haven't tried any of the others though. I bought the Octafuzz based on my experience with other Fulltone products (I have a Clyde wah, a '70 and a Distortion Pro; and have had the Choralflange and Deja Vibe 2), and Harmony Central testimonials. I'm very happy with my purchase.

Last edited:

Stormbringer

I had one and it was a great Octavia clone - and also a great fuzz on its own right - but I kept my Octron II for octaving duties.

But even if the CI is a little better, I don't think it would justify the double of money...

Purplexi

I tried the Octafuzz along with Fulltone's Ultimate Octave. I eventually dumped them both for a Dunlop JH Fuzz Face which I plan on pairing with either the Roger Mayer Rocket or Foxrox Octron.

sutherland

Honestly, didn't quite care for the Octafuzz mode...found it quite bright and raspy. When I A/Bed it with the Ultimate Octave (Foxx clone), I preferred the predictability of the Octave Up.

now.....the Octafuzz' "Fuzz" mode is down right awesome!

wingwalker

Fuzzy Guitars
Thanks so much guys!

phatsound1...thats what I was hoping to hear...an honest answer to a real world comparison!

I'm not a fan of Fulltone in general but after listening to the clips I had a feeling that the Octafuzz was the answer I was looking for!

I have an Ultimate Octave and it's cool, and I have an Octron and it's even cooler but neither of those get that ring mod/steel drum octavia...Band of Gypsys thing going on.

EL34

Gold Supporting Member
I've owned them both, but eventually sold both. phatsound1's comparison echoes my experience. I ended up replacing them both with the MJM Roktavios, which has a slightly more pronounced octave effect without the need for an OD following it (which CI recommends). Plus, you can find the MJM for about $100 used, which is more reasonable for an effect that I use maybe twice on a gig.

JRC4558Dude

The Ultimate Octave and Octafuzz are two totally different pedals. I have an UO and it's great. Just tried out the Octafuzz recently, and I was absolutely blown away. Loved the octave effect, and was really impressed by the fuzz with the ocatave off.

csills

i love it. couldnt be any happier with it. it is very difficult to get it to sound just right, but thats part of the fun of such an unpredictable pedal.

wingwalker

Fuzzy Guitars
Thanks again guys!

This really tears it for me...I am wanting a more ring moddy/steel drum sunding octavia sound to cover the ground my Octron misses and was trying to decide between the Dunlop Octavio, Fulltone Octafuzz and the CI Octavian...I've not decided it's gonna be an Octafuzz!

Like I said before Im not a fan of Fulltone at all but I LOVE my mini Deja Vibe so sometimes you have to just let the name on the box go and go with what works!

afterburner

Silver Supporting Member
Probably the best fuzz tone I have heard... by best, I mean my favourite.

Cuts through in the right places without being shrill. Gets mean and rude with the gnarly octave-up. Stacked well with my OD pedals too.

Only downside? centre positive power supply needed. Not worth it for me to have to use a special power supply for it. Also, it's too big for my board.

wingwalker

Fuzzy Guitars
Only downside? centre positive power supply needed. Not worth it for me to have to use a special power supply for it. Also, it's too big for my board.
Thanks for pointing that out!

I don't think it'll be an issue with my Pedal Power II+ but it is nice to know.

FF71

Silver Supporting Member
Any reason NOT to buy this unit??

Is the Chicago Iron really that much better to be worth the extra cost?

I've actually tried both and I must admit the Octafuzz wins hands down. First the Octafuzz can be used as a stand alone fuzz. Better bang for the buck for sure. Although I must admit the Chicago Iron had the "classic look" down pact.

55hz

Sorry, but the Addrock Electric Smile smokes them all!

The dunlop Octavio sounds REAL good ass well...

Voodoodude69

I've been thinking about getting a Octafuzz. I own a early Ultimate Octave with BC108s that sounds great. Both units are different though. Can't decide if I should take the plunge or not :)

Don A

Gold Supporting Member
I found an Octafuzz for $65! It's rough on the outside but works like it should.

I've seen others for less than $100.

schwa

I tried an Octafuzz a year or so when I was looking for some fuzzy goodness. The audition amp was a PRRI, on a clean setting. In the end, I picked the Ultimate Octave, and I still like that pedal.

Are there any "tricks" to getting the most out of the Octafuzz? Does it need a certain amp or setting?

Not to hijack, but I'm still trying to figure out how to fit OCT pedals into songs in a "musical" way.