Fulltone Plimsoul

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Dave, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Dave

Dave Member

Just picked up a Plimsoul.

Wow!

That is all.

2. djy8131

djy8131 Member

Love mine too! I have it stacked with an amp 11

3. bwires

bwires Member

Tell us more?

4. Dave

Dave Member

:) Sure.

I like how you can dial in soft and hard clipping. It will do smooth, liquid distortion, or percussive, tight, aggressive distortion, or anything in between. For the first time I am actually considering having two of the same pedal on my board. One Plimsoul for rhythm/crunch and another for leads/distortion.

I really like the clarity. So many OD/distortion pedals smear everything into a wall of noise at higher gain settings. This is a huge issue for me. The Plimsoul has outstanding clarity, even at high gain settings.

I like how it's voiced. Just the right amount of mids for my taste/needs. Tight low end and the tone control works well. It's fairly dynamic. Doesn't clean up quite as well as the OCD in my opinion, but it's close.

I just love the way it sounds and feels. I have been through a lot of OD/distortion pedals in my life and, honestly, of the dozens I've had maybe two or three have stood out. This one really stands out. Lots of pedals sound great when I'm playing by myself, but very few work as well as the Plimsoul in a live band, and that's what it's all about for me.

5. HeartfeltDawn

HeartfeltDawn Member

It's a good pedal. I didn't like other Fulltone OD pedals as they seemed far better with single coils and I'm a 335 man. The Plimsoul rocks.

6. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Great pedal the Plim. Just enough roughnes for blues with the soft clipping stage engaged and plenty of hard clipping available should you require. No nasty midrange either. Nice with the FB3 and Catalyst too. Unfortunately haven't made it work well with the OCD but these pedals in themselves are great by any means.

7. Dropebox

Dropebox Member

I'm really enjoying my Plimsoul too. I'm stacking with an Lovepedal Od11.

is one of the few pedals that can really make low gain and high gain convincingly.

particularly think it cleans up very well with the volume knob.

If I could just have one pedal, certainly would be the plimsoul.

8. bwires

bwires Member

Great review Dave, thanks. I've been eying a Plimsoul for a while and I think I'm ready to take the plunge. Thought I would use my OCD for lighter gain stuff and the Plimsoul for heavier gain needs.

Any thoughts on boosting for solos? Boost pedal? In front/behind the Plimsoul? Guitar volume knob?

Thanks again!

9. br91

br91 Member

With the Plimsoul I have used a Boost RVB afterwards, or a Corona Chorus afterwards. Can try a delay for extra ring distortion also.

Green Rhino at less than half distortion before or Pharaoh fuzz after work well also.

The Elements before probably not any better than with OCD, but it is usable to me.

Does not work well with a CM-2 before.

10. Dave

Dave Member

That's exactly what I'm doing. I'm using a Vox AC30 set at the edge of breaking up.

I'm not much of a stacker, just using the Plimsoul by itself for leads/distortion. It cleans up fairly well with the guitar's volume control, as I've mentioned, but not quite as well as the OCD.

11. Dropebox

Dropebox Member

Funny, I agree with Mike, see what he says about the Plimsoul on his site: "Clean up with the guitar's volume control? More than any, yes, even more than the OCD."

12. Dave

Dave Member

Yes, I know he's made that claim. I'm not really sure how to prove or disprove it. How can we quantify a pedal's ability to clean up?

It just seems like I don't have to twist my guitar volume knob quite as far to get the OCD to clean up. It's splitting hairs, really. They're both dynamic, touch-sensitive pedals and I like them both for different reasons.

13. hardys

hardys Member

Good to hear! I've been considering a Plimsoul and I play a 335 too.

14. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

The Plimsoul has been on my board for 6 months and I like it better everyday. Works great with Les Paul, SG, 335... and equally well with a strat or tele. Pretty great all-around OD pedal... none better at any price IMO. Sold my old Klon gold horsey after a few weeks with the Plimsoul.

<M

15. SetFiretotheHive

SetFiretotheHive Member

One of the best distortion/OD pedals ever!

16. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Is the Plimsoul a fuzz or od?

17. snouter

snouter Member

OD and distortion which can be mixed and matched via the knobs. I could have sworn someone asked about what the insides looked like and I am 99.99% sure I posted this gut pic earlier but the thread is no where to be found. So here it is again.

[​IMG]

18. eclipseall

eclipseall Member

this pedal is amazing...

as a distortion it will do classic rock tones beautifuly and as an overdrive it will do anything you want from tube screamer to hard clipping rock crunch....from soft blues to molten metal infront a dirty amp

19. Jacknamara87

Jacknamara87 Member

I saw one on sale for a decent price at my local guitar store the other day and you evil people have me GASing for it now! lol

20. Dave

Dave Member

My AC30 took a crap on me (tubes, I'm sure) the day before our gig this past weekend, so I had to use my trusty Peavey Bandit. I used the Plimsoul for my rhythm/crunch instead of leads/distortion, which is what i used it for with the AC30, and it was great. Really made the old Bandit feel like a tube amp. Very impressive.