Fulltone Robin Trower OD (What does the pedal SOUND like?)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TD Moyer, Jul 16, 2008.

1. TD Moyer

TD Moyer Member

Since the existing thread on this got diverted into an opinion-fest on the merits of Trower himself I wanted to get a new thread going that focuses solely on the merits of the pedal itself!

Anyone have one yet? How does it compare to the current crop of boutiques (ala Hermida, Lovepedal, etc.), other Fulltone pedals, an old ts-808?

2. Jet Bycraft

Jet Bycraft Member

I think mine is due to arrive today. I'll let you know how it sounds.

3. Maven

Maven Supporting Member

A little darker and smoother than an OCD. Not as much gain as an OCD. I love it. It kind of reminds me of a cross between the Fulldrive and the OCD.

4. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Proguitarshop needs to do a comparison video with the Ocd.

5. vegetablejoe

vegetablejoe Member

If you cascaded an FD2 with an OCD and set them both to low gain, would the resulting tone and gain approximate the RT OD pedal?

6. Jet Bycraft

Jet Bycraft Member

I received my Fulltone RTO today. I haven't had much time with it because of my busy schedule, but so far so good. This is my first Fulltone, and I think it sounds great with SC and HB pick-ups. I played it with my Strat through my JCM-800 and then I tried it with my Hamer V through the clean channel of my JCM 2000 TSL-122 and I really liked the tone that I was getting. It's a very good sounding overdrive.

7. nnick

nnick Member

I just tried out the RT overdrive today.

'52 RI Tele--->RT OD--->AC-15CC

Very smooth sounding overdrive, medium gain. Could hear every string clearly even with the gain cranked. Cleans up nicely with the guitar volume. I want to do a side by side with my Eternity Burst. I have a feeling the RT might win me over.

8. shizzaq

shizzaq Supporting Member

I have a bunch of sound clips of this pedal with different guitars and comparisons of it against other popular distortion pedals. I will have them up on my site tomorrow and when I get it updated I will let you know.

9. carltonh

carltonh Member

Now that I've heard some good sound clips of the RTO, I definitely think it sounds very close in minimum and maximum gain, gain structure, tone, etc. to the overdrive part of the Pigtronix Disnortion. Anyone else notice? As best I can tell without playing the RTO yet, the main difference is that the RTO can be a little bit brighter at the highest tone settings.

EDIT: compare Disnortion overdrive on this video from 4:30-5:50
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7NoO6mIBus

to this video of the RTO:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcOP_e1DftM

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  10. shizzaq

I got my website updated today with all the new clips. I have some clips of the RTO in comparison to some other OD pedals and then I have some clips of the RTO with a few different guitars. Check it out at www.tonesnobs.com You have to use the www in front or it wont work. I hope this helps some of you guys who are thinking about it. By the way the guy who was doing all the playing for me ended up buying the RTO over the other pedals. Enjoy,

11. trishoot

trishoot Gold Supporting Member

I would put this squarely between the OCD and the FD II. Tonewise, I think it is closer to the OCD, gainwise, I think it is closer to the FD-II. Warmer and smoother thatn both of them though. I sold both of my Eternity pedals after getting this pedal. It really keeps the bottom end when you go to the higher gain settings and has a huge sweet spot.

12. trwigg

trwigg Member

I bought one about the same time I bought a Matchless SC-30 so I haven't had much of a chance to check it out. I played with it for about 20 minutes and was not that impressed with it BUT like I said I really haven't checked it out much with the addition of the SC30, if you own one you will understand. More later.

13. DerekEstrada

DerekEstrada Member

:agree

clip on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcOP_e1DftM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEaPXCr65M0

14. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Member

Does the RTO have all of the dynamics/touch sensitivity of the OCD? Or does it give up some of that in order to sound smoother?

15. Jet Bycraft

Jet Bycraft Member

16. shizzaq

The guy (Issaku) who did the demos for my site who ended up buying the RTO said he felt that the pedal didnt clean up as well as the OCD or the Lovepedal Eternity. He said he chose it because it just felt right while playing it. If you go to my site ( www.tonesnobs.com ) and click the link at the top that says Robin Trower Pedal you should see some sound clips with a les paul and an EJ strat. I am pretty sure in those clips he rolls the volume down on the guitar. I know its not as good as playing it yourself but it might give you some sort of idea.

17. mr. stanley

mr. stanley Member

shizzaq, you have a nice collection of gear and website!

Here is another demo of the RTO...you can watch it in High quality on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVtMpDoVTQY

We use an American Strat and a Fender Deluxe Reverb for our demos.

18. RocknTommy

RocknTommy Member

That sounds great even at work on my little speakers:drool
    What vibe is being used there?

Checked out all the other links posted here.
    I like this thing.

19. Jet Bycraft

Jet Bycraft Member

I'm glad that you enjoyed it. The Vibe is a Dunlop Univibe.

20. aksman

aksman Member

so does this compare to the Xotic BB?