1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fulltone Soul Bender???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fast ricky love, Mar 15, 2006.

1. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

I was just surfing around and was checking the Fulltone's and thought the SB sounded pretty cool. Haven't read much about it here... can anyone with experience comment on this pedal? One clip on the site in particular (I think it was the middle one) was great sounding - fat and smooth. Is that true of this pedal? AND the classic question - how would it compare with a Timmy...? :)

2. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

It's a cool fuzz pedal. I had one for years. It was my 1st fuzz/boutique effect.
    The tone knob can go from fat and singing to mosquito buzzy. Works well with a slightly overdriven amp. It's not a MKII clone as Fuller states though. More like a MKIII. Never tried a Timmy.

3. fast ricky love

Fat and singing sounds like something I'd really like to try...

4. 59model

59model Member

Can`t compare it to a Timmy, but with a Tele and a Deluxe Reverb, Zep 1 and 2 could be had easily. That`s why I bought mine. :)

5. fast ricky love

Cool! So with the tone at fat and less fuzzy does it still have decent chord tone?

6. Greggy

Greggy Member

The Antipodes To All That is Sacred and Pure
    The opening lead guitar in this clip is an Agile ES335 copy played thru the Soulbender with the tone knob turned up for fatness. The amp is a GT Soul-O 45, miced with an e609 silver. To me, the Soulbender is a weird pedal. I swear it changes its sound from day to day. One day I cannot get a single useable tone from it, the next day it's smooth as silk. Maybe it's my ears, don't know. Here's the clip: When Hell Breaks Loose

7. jpagey

jpagey Member

To my ears, the SB gave me Doyle Bramhall II's tone on Arc Angels' CD...and that's a real good thing! Cool pedal.

8. drolling

drolling Member

I've had a Soulbender on my board for years - definitely old school tonebender-style sounds.

I've read that it's got 3 germanium tranistors, which might explain why some players think that it changes from day to day. I occasionaly put mine in the freezer overnight...

The only thing *Timmy-ish* about it is the fact that the tone control works backwards (counterclockwise), but it's not a clean boost/overdrive like Paul C's creation - it's really a classic fuzztone, in the Yardbirds Led Zep sense of the word..

9. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

It's great with chords. It's not as spitty and fuzzy as a MKII TOnebender, so it stays more articulate than a Fuzz Face or a true MKII clone. Has a lot of mids and cuts through a mix really well for a fuzz pedal even with humbuckers. Runs off 3 germanium transistors, so theoretically temperature can affect the tone. Never experienced it personally, but it mainly only saw the practice space or home use. I always felt it came just short of doing a dead on Page/Yardbirds and Zep 1 tone which is why I originally sold it and bought an original MKII.

10. JPB

JPB Member

Soul-Bender is a great fuzz with a lot of gain on tap. Not as "spitty" as others (MKII) but smoother without loosing the edge. Combining with Timmy opens up the SB even more. Especially the lower gain settings of the SB are much more usable when stacked. The SB has a good deal of mids, but the overall balance between low/mid/high is very good IMO. BTW i play a tele into bf/sf Fenders. I would recommend the SB for your application