Fulltone SS-TE Solid State Tape Echo

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by PedalFreak, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Jack Luminous

Jack Luminous Member

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

X–Ray likes this.
  2. Plexihead

Plexihead Member

It looks like it was the roller (poor rubber which caused it to go "out of round" which in turn made the warbling), and the tape cartridge (looks like cartridges produced in the past 6 months or so had a couple of inches too much tape in them).

Too bad that the SSTE launch was kinda ruined by those two problems considering what went into the physical build.

Looks like it is working properly now with those fixes, hopefully I'll grab one early in the new year... funds permitting.

X–Ray likes this.
  3. X–Ray

X–Ray Member

4. X–Ray

X–Ray Member

Thanks for that pearl of wisdom! Very helpful :)

5. champion ruby

champion ruby Member

What an obnoxious post. Moving parts so what... I consider myself mechanically challenged and have no problem with my 50-60 yr old echo machines. None of the SSTE issues have anything to do with user error, just poor quality control.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  6. Jack Luminous

Jack Luminous Member

You're welcome. Let's now hope you don't get burnt a third time. :cool:

7. armbone

armbone Member

In my experience, poor quality control can be traced directly to the top of the pyramid. In some very large companies there can be an exception.. Lots and lots of opinions and weak links in the chain. But for small companies, nope, you can bet your ass that there are much bigger problems than poor manufacturing.

dwoverdrive likes this.
  8. 50MkII

50MkII Member

I see where a couple of you have provided your user feedback regarding the SSTE with the newest carts installed (ETC-2) and transport upgrade for how long you have used it in general. As an owner of one, and having made the transport upgrade, sent it off to Fulltone to makes sure the unit was working as it should (this was before the discovery of the carts problem), and provided the ETC-2 carts as replacements to the original one, I am sure others, including myself, are very interested to hear from those who have made the updated improvements to their SSTE how long you have had the improvements in place, about how much mileage it has seen, any noted changes in behavior, if any, over time with the new changes (not in comparison with the old necessarily), and how it has stood up to any touring/transporting in its box, etc. I would be curious to see if any of you have left the unit on overnight like Fuller did to see if the unit is still functioning without glitch when you go to use it the next day. I have yet to install the newest carts given the history of changes this unit has undergone until I know it's going to withstand the test of time.
    Enjoy your T-Day folks!

Spazige likes this.
  9. Canon

Canon Supporting Member

I have been listening to demos of this unit and I have to say it sounds more musical than some others that have recently entered the market.
    Has anyone received their order lately? They seem to be trickling out slowly.....

10. enocaster

enocaster Member

Anyone know of a Black Friday/Cyber Monday deal on this?

11. Uchison

Uchison Member

I just returned from a weekend tour in Germany with my band. Used it the whole time without any trouble.
    In total 7 gigs so far. And numerous rehearsals.
    Only thing I'm still trying to figure out is how it affects my FF7. It seems the settings I have been using sound completely different now. Still need to experiment more and figure out how they interact.
    I bought it wth the new card installed.

X–Ray likes this.
  12. Ron

Ron Supporting Member

Used ones sell for about $700, which is a nice discount.

13. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

The EP3 is known for the effect of the preamp on tone, and I would assume the fulltone unit acts the same way. That may or may not be pleasing or desired. I believe you can switch off the preamp? Maybe that would help?

14. Spazige

Spazige Member

I'm the same not had a chance to use it. But want to now. Got the kit but still need to get my hands on the new cartridge. Have you got it set up now? Had any hassles?

X–Ray likes this.
  15. Spazige

Spazige Member

I use it with drum machines, synths etc. I make electronic music.

16. X–Ray

X–Ray Member

Spazige - I've had the replacement cartridge for a while now (a long with the kit) but have yet to get it set up. Life events (illness, divorce, working on my house to sell it) have taken priority and my energy. Plus, TBH, after waiting so long for the unit to arrive, then reading about all the issues in order to get it "set up" to work according specs and the hype leading up to its release, I feel "meh" about the SSTE and glad I already have a TTE = my lack of excitement or urgency about playing it. The "moment" has passed for me.... So, I've yet to experience my "new and improved" brand new SSTE (that's an irony.) Good luck with yours! Ray

17. Plexihead

Plexihead Member

You guys who haven't changed the kit/cartridge really should, it's only two posts, rubber roller, spring (if needed) plus cartridge. I've had my SSTE for a week now, works perfectly and sounds awesome, especially when using it with a loud 50 watt Marshall & 4x12 w/G12M's. I should've kept my TTE, would've liked to compare them, and I really dug it plus had no issues in the 5 years I had it.

My guess is the soft rubber of the initial roller, and the extra tape length in the standard cartridge were the big issues upon the SSTE release. Not sure the upgraded guide posts were even necessary as the original posts posed no problem on my TTE.

J.T. Guitar likes this.
  18. X–Ray

X–Ray Member

Thanks, I know I should and will eventually... Life's been a bit distracting, lol - Good for you! :)

19. Spazige

Spazige Member

I know exaclty how you feel! I only found out about the cartridge change this week. I emailed Fulltone and asked for them to send me one, they basically told me to go away and buy one. Think I'll email the dealer I bought it off and get them to sort that out because I am not paying for the new cartridge. Surely that's under mystandard 12 month warranty at least. Anyway having a second wind of getting this thing working properly.

X–Ray likes this.
  20. S. S. Bender

S. S. Bender Member

I don't really have a dog in this hunt, but are the SSTE's still taking forever to get? I just copied the following delivery info from Sweetwater's SSTE product page:

Fulltone Custom Shop Solid State Tape Echo
    Solid State Tape Echo with Handwired Audio Path, 2 Preamp Modes, Custom Tape Heads, and Custom Tape Cartridge
    Item ID: SSTE
    [​IMG] Due to high demand and limited production on the popular SSTE, delivery times can be very long, possibly even a year or longer.

Note: While most of the items we sell ship for free, this item does not qualify for free shipping due to special circumstances.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SSTE