Fulltone SSTE...how clean is the preamp and the repeats?

Mooneyes68

I'm really close to pulling the trigger, but for anybody who owns/gigs an SSTE, can you tell me how clean it stays? I realize it's an actual tape delay with a preamp based on an Echoplex so it will add some color and it's not going to be digital-y pristine sounding- I'm ok with that-but is the SSTE capable of a fairly clean fast signal/repeats?

ducmike

Gold Supporting Member
Yes, It can do a very clean repeat. The trick is to dial the record pot down and the echo volume up. The full preamp is a little cleaner than the EP3 side of the switch. I also think the bright is a little cleaner than vintage on the repeat voicing switch. I run my record around 10-11 o'clock for a cleaner repeat. You will have to play with it though, based on the output from your guitar and eny effects you put before it.

The cool thing is that yu can get a dirty repeat out of it. I don't own the TTE, but the one I tried hd super pristene clean repeats. I like my SSTE better. Might want to consider the TTE is clean more important to you.

Scott_F

You can saturate the input if you want or dial it back. I can go either way on mine. I have one of the more recent ones that has had no issues. Sign up with Fulltone and you can grab one for less than $1000 on Mike's blem sales. Mine had zero blems on it.

Mooneyes68

You can saturate the input if you want or dial it back. I can go either way on mine. I have one of the more recent ones that has had no issues. Sign up with Fulltone and you can grab one for less than $1000 on Mike's blem sales. Mine had zero blems on it.
Scott, thanks for that info, and 1K is a lot more doable, I'll be sure and sign up.

Mooneyes68

Yes, It can do a very clean repeat. The trick is to dial the record pot down and the echo volume up. The full preamp is a little cleaner than the EP3 side of the switch. I also think the bright is a little cleaner than vintage on the repeat voicing switch. I run my record around 10-11 o'clock for a cleaner repeat. You will have to play with it though, based on the output from your guitar and eny effects you put before it.

The cool thing is that yu can get a dirty repeat out of it. I don't own the TTE, but the one I tried hd super pristene clean repeats. I like my SSTE better. Might want to consider the TTE is clean more important to you.

Thanks so much for the info! I actually had a TTE for a short time and returned it. I really wanted to like it, but I had a feeling after I ordered the TTE that the SSTE would suit me better based on demo's I've heard. The tube preamp in the TTE was just too 'thick' sounding with my Gretsch and I couldn't get the repeat short enough for my liking for a classic slap back. From what I gather, the SSTE pre is a bit more transparent, definitely not as fat and I know that the delay time can be set quick enough for a great slap based on a few demo's I've seen. The TTE could be dialed in clean though, and if the SSTE is in the same ball park gain wise, I should be good.

Last edited:

ducmike

Gold Supporting Member
You can definitely get a brighter repeat with the preamp and and tone switches. Like Scott said, I too have a more recent one and no issues at all. Slap back is no problem either.

Mooneyes68

Went down to the Chicago Music Exchange and demo'd one last night. The guitar I was playing had hotter pups then my own, but I was getting good headroom, so I think I'm good in that department. The Delay was glorious, just something I've never heard in a pedal-and I've forked over a lot of moola for tape echo emulators, digital and analog, over the years.

About the only thing I could imagine putting before the SSTE would be a tuner, but I have an unusual question about a preamp pedal after the SSTE. Currently, I use a pedal called a Nocturne DynoBrain. It's supposedly based on the preamp of a Roland RE-301 Space Echo (the famous Setzer delay unit). It really adds a lot to my sound and something I don't want to lose if I add a SSTE to my rig. I figure putting the DynoBrain before the SSTE would push it into overdrive, so I'm thinking it would be a safe bet after the Fulltone. I'm sure nobody has done this (running a preamp pedal with a tape delay), but can any SSTE owners chime in if you are running pedals after and how it's working out?

theanalogdream

Silver Supporting Member
Having the pre after the SSTE will take on the character of the nocturne, but it was be hit harder and might break up quicker. It'll affect the delay repeats as well, I imagine.

Mooneyes68

Having the pre after the SSTE will take on the character of the nocturne, but it was be hit harder and might break up quicker. It'll affect the delay repeats as well, I imagine.

From what I gather, the SSTE in 'full' mode is the EP-3-ish preamp bypassed, so adding the Nocturne preamp will give me the character I don't want to lose. You're right though, it may introduce distortion even placed after the SSTE. I'm going to try to get back to CME before Xmas and bring the Nocturne with me and try them together. I don't think I want to lose the Nocturne since it's my 'always on' pedal and really adds something special to my Gretsch and Bassman. I've had that pedal on my board longer then anything else (save for a tuner), it just works for me.

......The ideal situation would be an actual Roland RE-301, but they are getting crazy-expensive and I can't find one locally to test. I'm hesitant to buy online, too many advertised as 'serviced' or 'working perfectly', highly unlikely without a cap job and worn parts replaced.

zosozep7

Platinum Supporting Member
Just grabbed a blemishes! I own a EP3 and will compare for sure. Been wanting one of these for a long time!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom