Fulltone SupaTrem Hard Mode

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Oggy, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Oggy

Oggy Member

I was wondering if anyone out there uses the Fulltone SupaTrem. I picked one up a few weeks back and have absolutely fallen for the tone in SOFT mode, but I have not really found the HARD mode to be very useful.

Anyone out there have any useful settings for the HARD mode, or ways they've incorporated it into their playing?

2. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

I use it sparingly for the "effect" here and there....it's kind of cool.

3. POD Buster

POD Buster Member

Sometimes when I end a song with a big power chord I'll kick in the SupaTrem in hard mode with a fast tempo. Gives it that "helicopter" affect.

4. Strung Up

Strung Up Member

'Hard' (I'm guessing Mike's verbiage for square wave) on the cleanish side is useful sparingly. I like it occassionally on the fast side about 1/10th of the time here (a song here, a chorus there). If you're playing through a very cranked/crunchy amp/tone stack, hard/square wave will actually get the trem heard vs. soft/sine wave which tends to get lost in the clipping. Try it through any tone resembling a Marshall and you'll see immediately.

5. onestop

onestop Silver Supporting Member

If you're not finding much use from the "Hard" side of the pedal, try kicking on the "Soft" side switch and turn the Mix knob all the way down. The pedal begins to work as a slight boost but with the mix down. Once you engage the hard side of the pedal, you then have the "Soft" waveform back. Sorry this is a pain to explain and you'll just have to try it for yourself but trust me, it's pretty cool. Besides, with the mix knob down, the SupaTrem actually does a nice job of fattening up your tone! Good luck!

6. Oggy

Oggy Member

Hey all,
    Thanks for the insights. I'll have to give some of these suggestions a try. I definitely want to try out the "fat boost" that Onestop mentioned.

7. pepperco

pepperco Member

The hard mode on the fulltone is the reason I sold
    my supa trem. Not hard enough, not useable. And a
    waste of space for me on the board. Didn't use the
    hard mode but I wanted too.

I ended up with a demeter tremulator, and a boss pn-2.
    The pn-2 has a real square wave....chop/chop/chop.

8. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I had gone through LOTS of trems (didn't care for my Supa-Trem, or Demeter Tremulator) to get a couple I found inspiring and musical (Marshall VT-1, BYOC Trem clone, and Novbels TR-X) and that worked for me, and one (Seek Trem) for kicks and grins...but that said...

I honestly think trem is one of THE most difficult pedal types to "master" or use well. I get amazed sometimes hearing it used well by lots of different artists, but maybe it is just me...I have a hard time getting a trem to sound good enough that I want to keep it on my pedalboard.

And yet, I LOVE it in lots of different contexts. Everything from swamp trem (Creedence, John Hiatt, Tony Joe White, etc.) to Pink Floyd, other-worldly trem...slide trem especially I like...like in Bo Diddley type songs, or Lowell George in Little Feat, as well as Climax Blues Band...etc.

Maybe it's a tempo thing. What do you guys think? Easy to get a good sound, or is it hard for other also and that is why it seems so many are always looking for THAT trem?

9. Oggy

Oggy Member

It is definitely a tempo thing. I really like the SupaTrem because of the flashing tempo light. The only thing that would make it better in that respect is a tap tempo. Unfortunately those are rare (though they do exist).

With the SOFT side of the ST, I've been able to get some of the sweetest tones. I use trem as my only "coloring" affect on my board. It really is a staple of my sound with the band that I play. I don't over kill it and try to use it tastefully (that is a challenge), but something I believe I've done a good job at and continue to grow in.

10. hamstrat

hamstrat Member

The Fulltone SupaTrem was the first "boutique" pedal I bought. I was stunned by how good it sounds and got me hooked on quality pedals. Serious gas. I use the soft side about 95% and the hard side just to play around with (the above mentioned wah effect is very cool). After 3 years I still love it. Enjoy!