Fulltone TTE- Is It Changing Your Tone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by KennyM, Oct 6, 2006.

1. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

Haven't used my TTE in a while so I'm not sure if I just didn't notice this before or what. I haven't really used it very much.

Seems like it's adding quite a bit of high end onto the straight tone. It makes things sparkle, but maybe too much and I'm not really digging it. Kills the warmth too much.

Anyone else find that their TTE does the same or is something wrong?

Thanks,
    Kenny M.

2. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I dont find it to be doing what youre describing at all...I play mine everyday. I havent noticed any change.

Texas_Blues likes this.
  3. highgeer

highgeer Supporting Member

I definitely noticed that the TTE thinned out the original signal, which was perceived as added highend. It is similar, in effect, to a TC Electronic SCF pedal. Part of the magic of the old echoplexes was that they thickened your tone.

Mike

4. jrock1

jrock1 Member

I find just the opposite - it seems to add some kind of extra sweetness to my sound (definitely not thin or trebly) - maybe because its tube driven - don't think I could ever live without it now...

5. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

Well, just to confirm I wasn't hearing things I decided to record a clip. I switch the TTE bypass switch back and forth a few times with the TTE delay volume all the way down so it's just straight guitar tone.

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=4523402&q=hi

I think it's a huge difference and not one I'm really liking. I really haven't used this much as I generally record with no delay or reverb so I can't imagine the tube is going bad yet, however I don't recall noticing this drastic of a change before.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Kenny M.

6. stekks

stekks Member

Swap some tubes?

7. zzz

zzz Member

Hey Kenny which setting are you using. I use the lower speed - seems to make my tone fuller. When I first got mine one or two of the tubes were too microphonic so I change all of mine to NOS. Hope that helps.

8. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

Kenny Are interested in selling?
    If so shoot me a price I could pickup as I will be in Studio city today.

9. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

I'd definately try switching your tubes to some NOS ones and also try pushing a little extra signal at the TTE, not enough to make it clip, but to help get those tubes cooking a little bit, that should add the warmth and thickness you're looking for, as well as some great harmonic content.

-TJK

10. shakti

shakti Member

A few things to consider:

- the tubes definitely make a difference
    - I find it reacts slightly different with clean and dirty amps...clean amps sparkle more, whereas overdriven amps get slightly meatier. But I do prefer it into a clean amp like a Fender.
    - when you switch the bypass switch like in your clip (which I haven't heard), what you're doing is also turning on and off a low impedance buffer, so when it's off, there's nothing to drive the signal to the amp. Hence the cord from the TTE to the amp drains the signal slightly. A more fair comparison would be between straight into the amp vs into TTE in "on" position into the amp.

11. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

In listening to the clip, I hear that you have lost some bounce as well as an added strident quality to the top end. Tubes may help, I am really not sure how much. What else is in your signal chain?

Thanks for posting this.

M.E.

12. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

Sorry for not responding yesterday as I bopped up to the AES show in SF for the day.

Regarding tubes, I will try changing them out however I can't imagine that I've logged any more than a couple of hours on the TTE. I bought it a while back to put in a racked pedal setup that I'm only now getting to.

As far as signal chain, it was my 56' Tele straight into the TTE and right into the low level input of a D13 FTR37, as pure a path as you're going to get. In the clip I just kept reaching over and flipping the bypass switch on the TTE by hand. Also, I'm using the slower speed setting. I tried to set the input level to unity gain which was a little tough as there is a high end bump while at the same time the low end diminishes.

I originally bought this after comparing it to my Chandler which I have always loved. The TTE sounded so much better that I bought it right on the spot, even though I really hadn't planned on it. I only compared them because I had my Chandler with me in the store because I needed a new wall wart and wanted to make sure it was the right size connector. In comparing them now the Chandler doesn't change my tone at all, let alone this much.

As bizzare as it would be, there has to be something wrong with a tube or something. I haven't noticed this change of tone before in my limited use and can't imagine that getting by me. I'm pretty nit picky on that particular point.

Any of you TTE users notice this extreme a change?

Thanks,
    Kenny M.

13. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

The straght in sound does not sound any different to me than running through the TTE in bypass. It sounds about 1% better if I put a Pete Cornish pedal (buffer) in line before the TTE, however again, the bypassed TTE sound still sounds the same as plugging straight into the amp.

Besides, I think the points mentioned would only account for a very marginal difference. What I'm hearing, I think, is pretty extreme. You may find something that may add a minute amount of top or bottom, but something that removes the bottom while adding a bunch of top just seems wrong. I don't think a pedal, especially a delay, should be altering your original signal to this degree. My Chandler doesn't alter my tone.

I'll see if I can swap out a tube or two. Hopefully I can read the label on the tube.

Thanks,
    Kenny M.

14. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

Gotta be a tube. My TTE did the exact opposite of what you are saying: it gave a nice full freq. squirt of juice to my Matchless Clubman. It should actually make your amp sound better. Swap tubes - if it doesn't work, PM me & I'll buy it from you immediately. I'm in L.A. & miss my TTE badly - I thought it was too cumbersome for touring, now I realize it's worth the hassle for the best delay tone out there. :jo

15. EddieFeder

EddieFeder Senior Member

I am sure that at some point Fulltone stopped putting a Capacitor on the input of the TTE and started putting a resistor, mine is serial #1327 ( from 2005) and has a resistor, the ones I've heard that were older were brighter, changed the tone a little. Mine is rich, and is fat, but doesn't change the tone in a bad way.
    How old is yours?

16. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

I was going to suggest a Cornish buffer, but you're way ahead of me. I certainly can hear the difference even through my crappy speakers. Maybe the buffer after the TTE?

17. Mr. Kite

Mr. Kite Member

I've had trouble with mine before and emailed fulltone asking for help. He fixed it.

18. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

What amp are you using? I only use SS delays but really notice the buffer a lot more through my Bad Cat amps - way more than through a Fender or Marshall.

19. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

Believe it or not, if you search HCEF you will find some good info on the TTE there.
    Search for "tube tape echo, or TTE tube" as there was a great thread outlining the TTE itself, and the fact that Fulltone mentions the only weak spot in that machine is the stock tubes they put in them.
    When I had mine, miss it dearly now, I noticed a wonderful improvement by swapping out the tubes.
    Try that before you sling it for sure, as I miss my dearly now.

Did I mention I miss mine dearly? ;)

20. shakti

shakti Member

That is very interesting stuff about the input capacitor maybe being changed on newer ones. Can anyone else tell if they've found something similar? It might explain why I slightly prefer it into a clean amp (where a slight treble boost might sound nice) vs a distorting amp (where a treble boost might be a little grating). I don't find mine to sound trebly, thin or harsh at all. Into a Super Reverb it sounds gorgeous for clean sounds, but it did seem a little strident into a Boogie Mk I.