Fulltone TTE Owners--Oscillations with footswitch?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TMock, Feb 25, 2009.

1. TMock

TMock Supporting Member

Here's a question for all you Tube Tape Echo owners that use a footswitch with your TTE. Can you get oscillations with a footswitch plugged in?

I used one of those basic Boss battery-powered double switches with VERY high quality stereo cables as short as one foot. But no matter how I EQ'd the TTE, there was a significant degradation of tone, and I absolutely could not get the TTE to go into oscillations.

Have you all had the same experience? My problem is that I started my excursion into delay with a TTE (jumping into the deep end, I know). I sold it in favor of the new Diamond Memory Lane 2 (in the search for tap tempo, foot switching between delays, and easier knob-based oscillation speed control). The DML2 is a really great pedal, but when it comes to pure tone, it leaves me missing my first love. If I could resolve the footswitch tone degradation issue, I'd come back to the TTE in a heartbeat, I'm just reluctant to have a delay I can't easily turn on/off in mid performance.

2. pedalfreek

pedalfreek Member

I don't think you can get the TTE to go into oscillations with a foot switch.....unless you have the repeats set high and when you engage the TTE with the foot switch it will go into oscillation.

Right??

Or am I not understanding the question??

3. TMock

TMock Supporting Member

Hey pedalfreek,

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. I didn't mean that you can trigger oscillations with the pedal. The pedal only controls on/off on the echo and sound-on-sound. What I meant was that if I had a footswitch plugged into the TTE, it degrades the tone of the repeats so much that I couldn't get the TTE to oscillate no matter how I set it.

Without the footswitch plugged in, I could easily get the TTE to go into oscillations if I move the echo repeat knob past about 2:00. But, if I had the footswitch plugged in, I could crank the TTE's echo repeat knob, echo volume knob, and echo tone knob and still not get the pedal to oscillate. The repeats were also noticeably darker and less dynamic.

So I'm wondering if this is just how it works or if other TTE owners have found a footswitch/cable combination that doesn't interfere with the normal tone/functionality of the TTE.

Does that make more sense?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  4. pedalfreek

pedalfreek Member

Yes, makes total sense...very weird though.

I've yet to use my TTE with a footswitch....

I'll try to play around with that later today or tomorrow and see what happens!

5. TMock

TMock Supporting Member

"Yes, makes total sense...very weird though."

Yeah. In fairness to Fulltone, the manual does advise using as short and high quality a patch cable as possible because it will degrade the quality of the repeats. I just wasn't expecting so drastic an impact. And I was using a very short, very high quality patch cable--a 1' Cardas from LavaCable.

I'll be very curious to hear what results you get from yours.

6. somedude

somedude Member

Mine will oscilate, and it starts around the 2:00 postion that you mention, but I set it on the ground beside my pedalboard with a 2 foot patch cable to the footswitch (Boss FS-5L).

Does running a longer cable degrade the tone of the repeats? Makes me wonder if the repeat signal actually runs through the cable? And if it does... what'd happen if I plugged a volume pedal into it...?

7. somedude

somedude Member

1ft? That's shorter than mine. When I get home I'll have to try it both with and without the footswitch while listening for it.

8. TMock

TMock Supporting Member

Interesting, somedude. If you can get oscillations with a 2' cable, then I guess there are two possibilities: 1) either there was something up with my TTE that exaggerated the tone degradation, or 2) the footswitch itself (in addition to the cable) also impacts the tone, and my Boss FS-6 was sucking more tone than your FS-5L. The differences between these footswitches, as I understand it, is that the FS-6 is a double switch with additional circuitry to allow selection of momentary or latch switching. Is it possible that the additional circuitry in the pedal is killing the tone more than the simpler FS-5L? If so, I'd be happy to use an FS-5L, since I only use latch switching, and I have no idea how to use the sound-on-sound in any musical way.

I'm hoping to get more input from TTE owners here, because mine's not around to experiment anymore, and I had no luck getting answers from Fulltone.

That's also an interesting thought about a volume pedal...I know so little about the technical end of this stuff that I'd be scared to death of blowing something up!

9. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

Funny that this topic came up as I was just thinking about this today. I just got a TTE last week and read in the manual about having to use a high quality switch and short cable and was thinking maybe I read it wrong!

I used the TTE for the very first time over the weekend on a gig but pretty much left it on the whole time. If the footswitch/cable issue is that sensitive, I may not try to use a remote switch at all!

Terry

10. stratplayer80

stratplayer80 Senior Member

Well I sure hope nothings wrong with it. After I received it I put it through its paces and everything seems fine to me.

11. Hiwatt Bob

Hiwatt Bob Member

i switch all my tape echoes using a boss Ls-2. i would recommend one of those or a simple TB looper. unless you want the bypassed preamp tone--which is sometimes the case.

12. TMock

TMock Supporting Member

Stratplayer80, Sorry! I didn't mean to scare you or anything. I really don't think there's anything wrong with it (I wouldn't have sold it to you otherwise), especially since the the manual says to expect this sort of thing. That's a great unit...I'm actually beginning to wish I had it back. ;)

The more feedback I hear from folks, the more I'm beginning to think that the signal degradation has as much to do with the type of switch connected as it does with the type/length of cable used to connect it. I don't know if this makes sense from a physical, electronic point of view, but it seems to be the only way to account for the difference between my results and somedude's. If I get another TTE, I will definitely try to use as simple a footswitch as I can.

13. stratplayer80

Yeah I don't think there is anything wrong with it. I will try it with my switch later and see what happens. I use a Tone Jones Switch and that's about as simple as it gets. I am very leary of those Boss Switches anyhow. :D

14. TMock

TMock Supporting Member

Hey Stratplayer80,

Interesting! I had never heard of Tone Jones, but I've been wondering for awhile now if there was an alternative to the Boss footswitches and generic switches that always come with amps. They look great!

I'm curious about how you are planning to use your Tone Jones switch with the TTE. Are you using a switcher plugged into the bypass/sound-on-sound outlet, or do you just keep the TTE on and have it in a loop? It seems like it would be ideal to use a loop and stay away from the tone-sucking bypass/sound-on-sound jack all together. That would also allow you to leave the delay on, as opposed to bypassed. Apparently that is ideal, because Fulltone recommends minimizing the time that the TTE tape is rolling but the delay is turned off (something about flattening one of the rollers). On the other hand, by using a looper or using the TTE's bypass switch, you lose that great tube buffer in your signal when you're not using the delay. Choices, choices. :huh

15. CALI68

CALI68 Member

I don't get it. I'm using a simple on off switch that I bought from Loopmaster:

http://www.loop-master.com/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=49

...and I don't hear a singe bit of tone degradation. I'm running a 15' ELC Lava cable. Sounds fine. Really. Of course I don't get the cool trailing effect when I turn it off but then again I wouldn't need it for that much anyway.

So why doesn't mine sound crappy with the on/off switch? I can even get the oscillation thing going. (?)

-Chris

16. stratplayer80

Well so far it's been used plugged into the bypass. Maybe I will try putting it in the loop. The tube buffer isn't a make or break for me.

17. Hiwatt Bob

Hiwatt Bob Member

Does the tte use a trs jack for the switch--are you using a trs cable?

18. TMock

TMock Supporting Member

Hey, Hiwatt Bob. Yep, TRS all around.

19. pedalfreek

pedalfreek Member

I finally tested this out....

I used the reverb/vibrato foot switch from my Fender amp......VERY long chord

And....

I don't notice any change in tone and the oscillations are not effected at all.
    With the Echo Repeat knob left at about 3 o clock...with or without the foot switch plugged in, the TTE will self oscillate even without playing a single note on the guitar.

20. TMock

TMock Supporting Member

Okay, so now I'm definitely thinking it has something to do with the pedal I was using.

Thanks for the feedback, pedalfreek!