Fulltone Tube Tape Echo HELP!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Gravity, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Gravity

Gravity Member

I've got a client whos complaining that every time he plugs his footswitch into this unit his tone degrades. Because of this he wants me to sell him a rather expensive length of cable for his footswtich. The bit of cable would be a custom order, which means I won't take it on return. This is normally no problem, since normally I am completely confident the cables will perform as advertised.

In this case however I'm not so sure that changing this footswitch cable will have ANY impact on the sound. To the best of my knowledge there are very few (if any) amps or effects that run signal out through the footswitch.

My question is this, I am unfamiliar with this particular unit, and I am trying to determine if changing out the footswitch cable will make any difference before this guy spends his hard earned cash. Does anyone know if any signal is passed to the footswitch in this unit?

2. BFC

BFC Supporting Member

Take a look at the manual, which you can download as a PDF from the Fulltone site, and you will see a reference about footswitch cable quality affecting the tone. Page 8, number 9.

Fulltone TTE page

3. g.griffith

g.griffith Member

Absolutely, the footswitch cable does make a difference in this case. It is in the signal path if inserted. I wouldn't go all out and plug and Evidence Audio in there, but a good, quality cable is needed...at least on par with what he's plugging in and out of the TTE. Hope this helps!

4. Gravity

Gravity Member

It's funny cus the Evidence is exactly what he wants to buy from me ;-)

Like i said, I know the cable will perform, and he seems quite adamant at getting Evidence, I just wanted to make sure that it was going to perform in his case. I will present him this information and see what he says!

Thanks!

5. g.griffith

g.griffith Member

lol
    Okay, I admit that I am using EA cable in mine, so... Mainly because that's what I'm running guitar to rig, rig to amp. I would get a hold of Tony over at EA and see about a shorter length though, since the over-the-counter ones are a bit long at 10' minimum (but I guess that depends on the customer's setup). Cheers!

6. Gravity

Gravity Member

Well like I said, his is going to be a custom job anyway cus i don't have any TRS in stock. But he wants 20ft.. not 10. Long cables. 10ft i have in stock!

Life is never easy ;-)

7. The Gainster

The Gainster Member

Fulltone recommends the Boss footswitch. I use the thick GL cable with great results.

8. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

It absolutely does matter due to the capacitance of the cable having a loading effect on the circuit.

Why not something like George L or Monster? I took a 20' Monster guitar cable and turned it into a footswitch cable for mine. It works very well.

9. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Biggus Bearfootus Vendor

Buffered cable ?

or a cap/ resistor on the cable itself ?