Fulltone vs Fulltone

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by riffmeister, Jan 23, 2006.

1. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

two fuzzes.......

'69 vs '70

how do they sound different from one another??

2. jpagey

jpagey Member

Going from a few years back when I had them both, '69 is an all germanium fuzz and the '70 was a silicon fuzz (maybe hybrid, but I do not think so). The '69 was warmer with less fuzz/gain and sustain. The '70 was hotter, a tad brighter--maybe sharper is a better word, and with more sustain. I preferred the '70 and Fuller's Tonebender styled fuzz was my favorite of all--damn, what was it called, it is a 3 knob, 3 transistor fuzz...

3. webb

webb Member

I think that was the soul bender.

4. riffmeister

crap. :D

okay, let's try again:

Fulltone vs Fulltone vs Fulltone

69 vs 70 vs Soul Bender

P.S. I have a Fulltone Ultimate Octave fuzz.......nice for 'special effects' but defintiely not a work-a-day pedal....

5. Alex Law

Alex Law Member

'69, fat, warm, comparatively low gain fuzz, think Monterey Pop era Hendrix. '70, bright, high gain, supposedly BoG but through my gear I didn't quite see it. YMMV. I do like 'em both though, and the Octafuzz.

6. Entztrix

Entztrix Member

i only own the 69, but I know the skinny on the rest

69-2 germanium transitor fuzz...made to emulate the Jimi live at Monterey sound................it has a bias and contour knob so it's basically a tweekable fuzz face. the bias and contour make the pedal alot more usable with humbucking pickups. I use it when my band covers Jimi, Zeppeliin, and wilco.

70- two intentionally mismatched silicon transistors to recreate that band of gypsies style fuzz we all love. More fuzz and sustain. Being silicon it is probably a thin/sharper sound than the germanium 69. It's probably a little more stable too! An old bigg muff style circuit?

Soulbender- A 3 germanium transistor fuzz that emulates the Led Zepellin I and II sound.A sharp gnarly gritty and freakin bluesy fuzz. This is the one you want with a humbucking guitar! I hear it is tamer/more stable than the originals as well. This is the one i want and don't have

I hope this helps some

7. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

The 70 is a Si Fuzzface circuit not lika muff at all.

The Soulbender is a very cool pedal. I'd like to have one of those

8. Entztrix

Entztrix Member

isn't the muff a silicon fuzz?

9. Wooley

Wooley Member

I have the 69, because I that was what I wanted. As described above, the 69 is based on the earlier (Dallas-) Arbiter GERMANIUM fuzzfaces that Jimi and others used from like 67-69. If you like the earlier, Monterrey-era Hendrix sound, I'd go for this type. If you've ever heard "Like a Rolling Stone" from Monterrey and (as I have) had your breath taken away by the way the sound goes from a big, bold fuzz to clear arpeggiation with just a tiny sizzle, that is the Germanium fuzz. Good ones respond dramatically to your picking dynamics and the volume knob on your guitar. If that is what you are looking for the 69 is nice, but I would get the Analogman Sunface or the Keeley Fuzzhead first (I have both of those also).
    The 70 is supposed to be the later silicon fuzz, as others have described. While most will think of this as the late Cream/early Zeppelin tone...
    The Fulltone Soulbender, which I have not personally tried, has a pretty wide reputation as the best Solasound Tone Bender clone possibly ever built, and THAT is the Jimmy Page fuzz. I mean seriously, I have 5 fuzzes and still am planning to get one of these some day.
    Of the three, the 70 seems to be the least liked from all the fuzz research I've done over the last couple of years in getting the ones I have. If you're looking for most Hendrix, earlier Cream etc. it's Sunface, Fuzzhead, or 69 (there are others like the London Fuzz and of course Roger Mayer). If you're looking for that end of the sixties beginning of the 70s Zeppelin-like fuzz, get a Soubender. If you can afford it, it's probably worthwhile to have both.

10. jpagey

jpagey Member

yup, geat pedal

11. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

I've had all three for a few years now. Here's the way I see them:

69 - Not a heavy fuzz but nice and smooth. The contour and bias controls help to dial it in and give it more range than a stock fuzz face. Cleans up with the guitar volume the best of the three. I like this one best into a Marshall with a closed back cab, amp already breaking up some. Mike F persoanally tweaked this one for me because it didn't sound quite right when I bought it. Now it's about the best germanium fuzz face I've ever played.

70 - Mine is one of the first of the blue 70 pedals. It has more gain than the 69, and doesn't clean up quite as well with the guitar volume. Because it's more gainy I can get away with using it straight into a clean amp. The mids control is nice to either smooth the fuzz out or cut through a mix. Its also nice on the pedalboard as it runs off the usual negative pin adapter (the others are the odd positive tip). Of course to me all fuzzes sound best running on a battery, but in a pinch this one is easier to power with an adapter.

Soulbender - This one is the highest gain of the bunch, and doesn't really clean up much when you roll back the guitar volume. It sounds very fat and thick, and can be almost too smooth at times which makes it get lost on a loud stage. Still, it is one of the fattest guitar tones I've ever heard. I've also found that it makes an interesting overdrive at lower gain settings, just to thicken up the tone a bit.

Hope this helps.

12. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

To toss something else in this mix, what about the Ultimate Octave (you can turn off the octave it's switchable) and the other octave fuzz he builds with the switch to turn off the octave. I'd imagine they are silicon and are on the sharper end of things?

13. riffmeister

Couldn't ask for more help than that, LOL! :D

I play humbucker guitars almost exclusively. How does that factor in, if at all? Does the 69 have enough presence to cut through the mix in a two guitar band? My amp is a boutique plexi clone, btw.

14. fjs1962

To be honest I prefer single coils with fuzzes for the most part, but if I had to pick a favorite with humbuckers into a Marshall it would probably be the 69, because the bias control will help dial out any muddiness in the lows with the humbuckers,

15. fjs1962

To be honest I prefer single coils with fuzzes for the most part, but if I had to pick a favorite with humbuckers into a Marshall it would probably be the 69, because the bias control will help dial out any muddiness in the lows with the humbuckers, and humbuckers have more than enough gain to push the 69.

16. Occam

Occam Member

I really liked the fuzz section of the octafuzz...I never liked the octave up thing but I got the pedal super cheap so I bought it anyways. Without buying the octafuzz again, which of his fuzzes is closest to that sound? It really sounded great with my Matamp. I really regret selling that pedal especially with the fuzz in "fat" mode with the really strong mid's.

17. riffmeister

Well, I have the 69 and 70 on the way. Gotta try both to really know what works for me. Thanks for your help!

18. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

FWIW I had an Octafuzz and liked it, esp. with the high end rolled off, and the fuzz maxed out. I also liked the '70 fuzz a lot. The SoulBender is cool, too.

I like what Fuller does with fuzzes for some reason...

19. Occam

Occam Member

Is the fuzz of the 70 similar to that of the Octafuzz on "fat" mode?

20. riffmeister

For my setup & ears:

No contest......the '69 sounds wonderful......makes everything sound FATTER FULLER and oh so nice. A keeper for sure!

The '70 has too much in the low mids and not enough upper mid bite. Absolutely NAILS one of EJ's tones, but that's not really my cup of tea.