Fulltones @ 18 volt? Thoughts

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JPetty, Feb 13, 2012.

1. JPetty

JPetty Member

So how many of you are running your Fulltone pedals that can either do 9 or 18 volt at 18 volts? Also I would need to get a 18 volt power supply, but will just any 18 volt supply do (wether it's meant for pedals or not)?

Thanks for helping in advance.

2. Hey_wilson

Hey_wilson Member

I run mine at 18v i love how it sounds. It would be wise to get an 18v power supple meant for pedals

3. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

I run my FD II mosfet at 18 volts as well.. Lots of clean head room, and the comp cut setting really shines at 18 volts. Its the first pedal in my chain.

4. meterman

meterman Member

yeah I do, currently a Plimsoul but in the past an OCD and FD2 as well. Gives a subtle but noticeable increase in clarity, headroom, reduces compression a bit for a more open feel.

you definitely want to use a *regulated* power supply, most of the ones you get at Radio Shack or whatever are not regulated and can vary quite a bit in output and also be noisy.

The best way to do it IMHO is to use an 18V Y cable from two outlets of a pedal power supply

5. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

Can all fd2 be run at 18v? Ive got an orange pedal and nowhere in the manual does it say 18v

6. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Good question. I'd shoot Fulltone CS an email with the serial number and ask them. They'll probably get back to you before summer...:rotflmao

7. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Why not just get something that actually sounds good at the voltage it was designed around.

8. tdk8709

tdk8709 Senior Member

I run my Fulldrive at 12v and it gives me the headroom I want. Never had a voltage doubling cable so I never cranked it up to 18, but it will do it.

9. chervokas

chervokas Member

Well, Mike Fuller notes for some of his pedals that as designed the can run either way and in fact on the Fulltone website he offers some insights into running the OCD, FD2 or Fat Boost at 18V

http://www.fulltone.com/faq/running-ocd-fulldrive2-bassdrive-and-fatboost-18-volts-dc

You could understand how someone might design a pedal to work well off a common 9V battery but also differently, perhaps better at higher voltages for those so inclined to power them in a less common manner.

10. meterman

meterman Member

11. meterman

meterman Member

ha you beat me to it while I was typing! :D

12. chervokas

chervokas Member

You know, some pedals can be run either way without much difference in performance. Some, maybe all?, of the Barber ODs work both ways, but in my experience sound no better and maybe a little shrill even at 18V. Other pedals work both ways but sound "better" -- if by better you mean more headroom and punchier, more dynamic performance -- at the higher voltages. For example I have a Mr. Springgy reverb that I like a lot at 9V, but it sounds even better at 12V as Lee Jackson notes in the manual. But given that 12V regulated power is not common in the guitar world it's understandable why he would have designed it to work well enough at 9V.

13. meterman

meterman Member

yeah I agree, not all pedals can take 18V and not all that can do benefit. Fulltones are on the compressed side for me though so the 18V does open them up a bit and increase the dynamic range. IMHO 18V takes the OCD and Plimsoul to another level, more amplike and less pedal-ish sounding.

I also find that mod and delay pedals that run on 12V or the old 13.2V Boss ACA adapters have a bit higher input headroom and handle boosted/overdriven signals a bit better without clipping the input.

On the flip side you can run a pedal like the TIM below 9V if you want more compression and less headroom...

14. JPetty

JPetty Member

You make a good point by better, I mean more head room. I find it benificial to have the option of more tonal variety that can come with more or less voltage, :sarcasmbecause then you have the option of more tonal variety.

15. TBLebowski

TBLebowski Member

If I daisy chain off my pp2 18V plug, can I safely power multiple 18 V pedals? ----sorry for the highjack, but they are mostly fulltones i'm looking to power up...it kinda fits, I guess

16. chervokas

chervokas Member

Right, sometimes, particularly with an OD, you might be looking for less headroom and more compression and you might prefer the tone at 9V....with modulation and reverb pedals though, I do think it's generally true that if they can run at higher voltages delivering more headroom they usually are truly better that way...but even then, maybe you're going for a more lo-fi tone.

17. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Ok fine, but why go through the hassle, get something that either is designed to run in this manner or get something you don't have to jerk around with. Sorry, but I think Fulltone stuff ain't that great.

18. john l

john l Member

No offense intended here man but your comment makes zero sense, your literally knocking it for added versatility that can be used at the players discretion...??? How many times have we bought pedals that if they just had a little more of something would have been great ya know. Its "designed" to run at either voltage correctly.

For the record I dont really get on with much of Fulltones stuff either but I do happen to like the FDII for what it is and prefer it at 9v.

19. AudioWonderland

AudioWonderland Member

It was designed for it. Fulltone even sells the adapter to do it

20. JohanSolo

JohanSolo Member

i made a vid comparing the V1 OCD at 9V and 18V...only because i was seeing/reading on a lot of forums from people suggeting it was NIGHT AND DAY difference.

to be totally honest...there is very slight difference (higher voltage = slightly brighter and tighter picking response) which was very hard to capture for youtube.

from the comments i have gotten thou...some people can hear the difference.:huh

FWIW the same power supply i used yields different results doing the same style comparison with other pedals (ie MI audio)