fun stuff to do in Richmond. ..

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by RockManDan, Feb 11, 2015.

1. RockManDan

RockManDan Member

Planning a trip for me and the wife to get away from the kids for a weekend. Looking at Richmond cause ive never been there and its only 2.5 hours away. Not super interested in historical stuff but would love opinions on night life, music venues, breweries, etc.

Its been a rough few months for our marriage so would love to build some new fond memories.

2. DICKIE C

DICKIE C Member

Having been a VA resident for my whole life, and having been to Richmond many times, in my opinion, Richmond is nothing special unless you see historic stuff. But, if you've never been there, you should see for yourself and form your own opinion.

3. DamianP

DamianP Member

Yorkshire or Surrey?

4. lestera34

lestera34 Supporting Member

Been here my whole life, Richmond has plenty to do.

Tons and tons of history and cool architecture, an absurd restaurant saturation level that has quite a few good places to eat, several very nice venues which have all been extensively renovated within the past 10 years.

I don't know if I would call Richmond a destination city per se, however there is plenty of stuff to keep yourself busy with here. When it's nice outside, there is a lot to see in and around the river. The park system there has some really awesome trails.

There are also some decent breweries here in town, Hardywood probably being the most popular. I really like COTU beer, but they are in Ashland (20 minutes from RVA).

5. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

I don't go into Richmond often but here's a few suggestions:

The Answer (50 taps) live music Mondays and weekends.
    Legends
    Ardent
    Center of the Universe
    Hardywood
    Strangeways
    Commercial Taphouse
    The Camel live music
    Broadberry live music
    Cary St Cafe live music

http://rvamag.com/

6. echale3

echale3 Member

Hit the Confederate White House and the museum, go to the Carytown area and stroll around (Guitar Works is a cool shop that's right on Cary Ave), and go for a walk down Monument Avenue... Good restaurants abound--go on Yelp.com for Richmond and start searching the reviews for whatever suits your fancy.

7. CDP

CDP Member

I used to play at the Canal Club in Richmond years ago. Google em, you can see some good bands there.

8. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

9. geetarplayer

geetarplayer Member

I'd wait until I visited Redmond to do that.

10. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

Wait until April and go see a Stock Car race.

11. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

LOL! Thanks for correcting me. Read it too quickly. :D

12. ShadowCanAm

ShadowCanAm Member

Yeah, this is the best answer. There's a boat show coming up soon. Don't know when.

13. ShadowCanAm

ShadowCanAm Member

....I got it !! .......if it's a warm weekend....go to Maymont Park. It's like Old- Richmond meets Downton Abbey.

....just be aware of your surroundings.

14. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

Come check out California's city of Richmond in the bay area, so many fun things to do there.

15. handsomenate

handsomenate Supporting Member

I live in rva. Lots of stuff to do when its warmer. Ton of festivals and events as it warms up. James river park system is great. Maymont is a good one too. Recently gotten a ton of breweries my favorites right now are Ardent in Scott's addition and Hardywood. Nightlife mostly on the weekends, shockoe bottom or the fan. If your a fan of bbq then head to Alamo barbeque in church hill. Other than that my favorite place to eat is Tio Pablos on 18th and Franklin. If you can Afford it stay at the Jefferson, it's incredible!

I live and work in the city so if you want to know anything else send me a pm

16. funkycam

funkycam Member

If you are going to Richmond, Charlottesville would be a much better fond memories for wife destination imo

17. lestera34

lestera34 Supporting Member

Not much to see at Guitar Works (or play).

Also forgot about Alamo BBQ - lord that place is fantastic.

18. BigDiceBuddha

BigDiceBuddha Member

Go down to Brown's Island, Bell Isle and walk around, especially across the suspension bridge that goes over the James. From it, you have great views of Hollywood cememtary (a cool place to walk around in it's own right), Hollywood rapids, and the city.

For nightlife, there are a bunch of great restaurants, both higher end and bar food... For higher end, try Zeus Gallery Cafe on Belmont, Accacia on Cary, or Max's on Broad (french, I suggest forgoing an entree and going with a couple pots of Mussels and frits with various dipping sauces). Somebody mentioned staying at the Jefferson, but I highly recommend brunch there, too. For good, but not expensive food and beer, check out Burger Bach Gastro Pub in Carytown, Boka Tako on Robinson, or Capital Ale house for a killer beer selection with bar food downtown (they also have a live music hall).

As somebody else mentioned, great Breweries. Hardywood, Legend (if it's warm, it has the best deck in the city with a great view of downtown over the river), Isley Brewery, etc... Great craft beer in Richmond

Carytown as somebody else mentioned is a great place to walk around, and has some kitschy shops like World of Mirth, and check out a cheap movie at the historic Byrd Theater.

For live local music, check out The Camel and The Broadberry, perhaps Cary St. Cafe who has live music nearly seven nights a week.

Good bar scene in The Fan... Three Monkeys, Sidewalk, Banditos (they smoke in here, but it's a real taste of some Richmond peeps), Commercial Tap Room (great beer on tap, here), City Dogs, etc... Tons of bars.

Couple of historical places that I think are cool, and not really a "destination" but just something to walk through or by... Hollywood Cemetary as mentioned, The Patrick Henry "give me liberty or give me death" location at St. John's Church in Church Hill, Browns Island and Bell Isle as I mentioned, The Fan in general (Monmument Ave)...

Depending on when you're going, try and score tickets to a VCU basketball game, the Siegel Center is awesome and the fans are really into it.

PM me if you want more details. I've lived here a while and am a big fan!