Fun to Play Along with the Beat Buddy

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by S1Player, May 9, 2015.

1. S1Player

S1Player Member

Not a review of the gear per se, so put this in the general section. Just a comment that these things are an absolute blast to play along with. Fun.

Unexpectedly, the Latin selection of beats is what I am having the most fun with right now. Trying to just pick a Santana-ish tone, play Phrygian over some chord changes. It is just an absolute blast.

It's also pointing out problems with my timekeeping - so I am learning at the same time.

Fun.

2. custom53

custom53 Member

Been waiting for someone to post how they rated the Beat Buddy. I have been debating on getting one since they came out. Very cool review.. Thanks..!

3. S1Player

S1Player Member

I can answer questions or post more detail if you're interested.

Everyday since I have had it, I've just been picking some styles to jam to. It's just a total kick.

4. sventvkg

sventvkg Member

If probably get one if it were a bit cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. thewhit

thewhit Silver Supporting Member

I'd like to hear a use comparison with someone who has used the Digitech Trio pedal AND the Beat Buddy to get an idea of each pedal's pluses and shortcomings.

There is also a significant difference between the two which makes a difference depending what your goals are etc.

6. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

I spent about an hour with the Trio last week. I don't have a beat Buddy though. Looking at the on line review I would say the BB is a lot more flexible. The drums on the Trio are probably the strong point, the Bass is terrible. Very busy bass lines.
    I tried to do simple things and look for options in the various genre etc but the bass was often too "busy". When you find a simpler bass line setup on the Trio, you easily discover how they programmed the bass.
    ( they made the bass section work by avoiding some things that it should be doing.) The bass lines mostly use the 1 and 5 a lot avoiding thirds and other things. As such, the bass often will not change much when you go to a turnaround... it totally looses the feel for the song. By playing notes that fit the main part of the song and the turnaround with the same notes. Hard to describe.

For instance, I tried repeatedly to do a simple song (JJ Cale-Lies) that vamps from Am to D7, the turnaround is a C D. The bass didn't follow the turnaround at all really.
    I wish the BB was cheaper, seems a bit expensive...

7. uburoibob

uburoibob Yanuziello Guitar Enthusiast Supporting Member

The Beat Buddy looks quite interesting to me, but I'd probably use it differently than I use the Trio - ie: working out real drum parts for songs and probably recording them or maybe using them live. It'd be great to be able to sync it to the Bass Buddy if they ever make one - or perhaps a JamMan with the sync function.

The Trio is great for just getting down some changes quickly and playing over them. It's a lot more 'of the moment' and very, very easy to use. It's more interesting to play with than a metronome and I find that I like it a LOT more than I thought I would. If you teach it the changes with a VERY simple chorded track (straight rhythm with no fingerpicking, etc, sticking to basic triads with 7ths where necessary) it does a really good job of creating bass lines.

Here is a video I made for someone curious about my guitar and getting something like Bill Frisell going. It's Bill's version of Shenandoah. The Trio is set for BLUES and STYLE 1. Nice, simple backing, but it hangs with the changes very well. Shot with an iPhone 6.

music2myears likes this.