Fun what-if game with math, and amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by NatDeroxL7, Mar 14, 2008.

1. NatDeroxL7

NatDeroxL7 Member

So lets say I find myself a Komet Concorde(ideally) or similarly powerful amp..........and I get myself a 4x12 cab with some 100db sensitivity speakers.

I open it up, lets say....about 1 oclock. So I estimate I'm putting out a good 100 watts of dirty power? I have no clue.....just estimating. Corrections appreciated

So at 1 watt my cab is blasting 100db at 1 meter....maybe more because it is a 4x12 but I don't want to deal with that.

lets say that at 100 watts, im putting out 120 db at 1 meter. That is the easy part.

So now, I want to go outside so I can play for the birds and trees.

With an unobstructed path, how many decibels will be heard at 100 meters? 200 meters? 500 meters?

This is of course leading to something......

How big would ones property have to be if one wanted to be able to go outside with a massive tube halfstack on a warm summer evening and pretend it's their own music festival, without the sound passing through the walls of their neighbors homes?? 1 mile on each side....or is that not enough.....

2. quinnamps

quinnamps Member

Depends on the temperature... Lot farther in the cold but who wants to play outside in the freezing cold.
    Interesting question though.....

3. bosstone

bosstone Member

Depends on wind frequency and thickness of neighbor's walls too.

4. Theox

Theox Member

You drop 6dB every time you double the distance.

If @ 1 meter = 120 dB
    then @ 2 meters = 114 dB
    @ 4 meters = 108
    @ 8 = 102
    16 = 96
    32 = 90
    etc.

5. Dave

Dave Member

Wind direction can make a huge difference. My Father lives about 2 miles from an Air Force base. If the wind is blowing in the right direction it sounds like the base is right in his back yard. Other days it sounds miles away. It's amazing.