Functional fitness for 60+ guys?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by GottaPracticeMore, Oct 9, 2019.

1. db2112

db2112 Member

Livin’ the dream! Thats my plan for next move, go down to 1 car and live where I can bike/walk to most places.

GottaPracticeMore likes this.
  2. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

62, I joined a gym that is inexpensive and convenient to get to. I go to spin classes 4-5 days per week. I travel a lot for work, so that’s why it varies, 2-3 of those days I go early and do weight training activities which I learned from a personal trainer over four sessions. I used a trainer so that they could show me how to work without injury or re injury of some chronic back and neck BS I have accumulated in a lifetime. I’m leaning more toward three days per week so I’m not sore all the time, get more recovery etc.

In 1 year and nine months, I have lost 35 lbs. and picked up a much higher level of fitness. I have also really cut back on sugar and bread type foods, not severely, but it became obvious within a few months that if I didn’t work my nutrition more wisely, no amount of working out would change my waistline.

3. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

I would buy the Barbell Prescription by Andy Baker and Dr. John Sullivan.

For your age, a simple workout like this would do wonders:

Monday

Bench
    Squat
    Deadlift

Thursday

Shoulder Press
    Squat
    Rows

There are a million variables depending on your access to equipment, injuries, etc. but this will serve you better long term than what you are doing.

No offense meant, but what you are doing is basically a waste of time. Energy would be better put into something that builds some strength and power as you age.

Don't take that wrong, either. I simply mean you can bet better results in less time more efficiently if you are willing to tweak.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    GottaPracticeMore and StanG like this.
  4. FlyingPickle

FlyingPickle Member

5. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Silver Supporting Member

One functional exercise I like is working with a 50lb dumbbell- to replicate picking up a combo amp.
    Some bent over rows, some farmers walks.. just putting it on the ground, then pick it up and stand.

Unless you’ve got a Twin Reverb, then get use the 100lb dumbbell. ;)

EL34, H. Mac and MkIII Renegade like this.
  6. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

Or if you use a Mesa Boogie with 4x12, start with a barbell. :messedup

7. StanG

StanG Member

Agreed. An hour of work, 3 times a week will get you fit and stronger, and looking great. Work in some high intensity intervals, regularly. Much more efficient time wise than mindless treadmill time.

8. MrAstro

MrAstro Member

3 laps around the nursing home with one of those mobility walker thingies!

9. Liquid Quarter

Liquid Quarter Silver Supporting Member

10. blackie59

blackie59 Member

I’m 60 and run 3 miles every other day and ride a road bike twice a week for at least an hour. Been doing this for 26 years and my doctor and cardiologist tell me to just keep doing what I’m doing.

shane8, GottaPracticeMore and grill like this.
  11. grill

grill Member

Start by stretching every morning and brush your teeth.

Walking is good.

Be happy. Enjoy that you lived that long.

Eat well.

:):(

GottaPracticeMore and Roark like this.
  12. Roark

Roark Member

I get in and out of my truck about 6 times a day.

shane8, GottaPracticeMore and MrAstro like this.
  13. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

14. Rio

Rio Supporting Member

Rowing machine. WaterRower and Concept 2 are both good (WaterRower is more aesthetic when not in use). You can watch TV when you're rowing. I use a WaterRower because it's more attractive and only takes up two square feet when stored in an upright position.

Rowing doesn't appear to work quite everything, but it comes close. When done right (with full extension), it certainly works up a sweat.

I start my sessions with 20 pushups as a warmup. Used to do Krav training with a heavy bag, but arthritis in my hands put an end to that.

Rio

Moby Dick likes this.
  15. 2016aug29

2016aug29 Member

I'm 43, but I'm all for time-efficient functional fitness training that I can do at or close to our home.

*** I try to do two sessions of high-intensity interval training a week (basically tabata training; 4 minutes of exercise, 1-2 minutes rest, repeat (I usually repeat 2-4 times, depending of how I feel)). One day may be rope jumping, another day running intervals (jog 30 seconds, run 20 seconds, sprint 10 seconds for 4 minutes), yet another day burpees with pushups (20 seconds, 10 seconds rest) + jump squats (20 seconds, 10 seconds rest). This is very time efficient and effective.

*** I also may go for a run once a week in moderate tempo, and I either walk or ride my bicycle to work.

*** For strength training, I mainly do bodyweight exercises, mostly pushups (I do a set of 20-25 pushups three-five times spread across the day (every time I make myself a cup of coffee - my wife thinks I have a seizure when she sees me on the kitchen floor)). I have a pull-up bar fixed to one of our door frames, so every a couple of times a day I go on it and do 4-5 chin ups. Sometimes I also do a handstand, leaning on the wall, for about a minute or so.

*** Two-three times a week I do this stretching routine:

16. Paleolith54

Paleolith54 Member

65, retired. Artificial hip, no other conditions.

In a typical week, I do 40 minutes on the Elliptical almost every afternoon in addition to my daily morning workout, which will generally alternate between:

Hard mountain biking, 60-90 minutes.

Body weight and dumbbell resistance training. May be replaced or augmented with
    HIIT (Google that).

Hike 3-5 miles, hilly wooded trail, with 20 lb pack.

I fight boredom by sometimes throwing in heavy bag and timing bag work or paddling canoe or kayak.

17. 2016aug29

2016aug29 Member

That doesn't quite fit OP's description: "I turn 60 soon, and I'm trying to come up with a list of *minimal* daily exercises in order to maintain functional fitness and independence as I get older." :)

Your schedule is impressive, though. You clearly don't do it because you "have to", but because you love to stay active. I hope I'll be able to do that when I retire.

18. StanG

StanG Member

You all looking for "minimal " effort, etc are missing the point. Minimal effort gets minimal results and benefits. You have to work and push yourself to get significant benefits, both fitness and health wise.

GottaPracticeMore and CharlieS like this.
  19. GottaPracticeMore

GottaPracticeMore Member

So you think it's basically better to do no exercise rather than modest exercise?

I think a gentle daily exercise program has some real benefits.

Slaphappy likes this.
  20. 2016aug29

2016aug29 Member

It all depends on your goals, doesn't it? Obviously there's a lower limit, but for people who are mainly looking to stay healthy, maintain a certain level of fitness, strength and flexibility, a moderate program goes a long way.