funkadelic "knee deep" does it get any funkier than that opening riff!!!

NotWesYet

Silver Supporting Member
I saw them at a club in Indy about fifteen years ago. It was a great time, a big party. Probably the most diverse crowd I've ever seen at any show.

Even the security guys were burning.

When I saw them in the late 70's in South Carolina it was not a diverse crowd, but an accepting one....

There were three of us, late teens, I dressed much like Billy Joel on the cover of 52nd St. Button down shirt, tie, blazer, blue jeans and Tretorn Sneakers. We looked about as hip as members of the Bush Administration.

Before the band came out they passed the spotlight over the audience. It went by us and then came back and remained on us for what seemed like an eternity. Members of the band came out from back stage and were pointing towards us. There was utter silence. My brilliant friend then started to sing "Flashlight" and everyone joined in and laughed.

Years later when I was working at a printing plant I used the phrase "Of course I'm a player" a nod to one of their songs. This was a plant where they had nicknamed me "Higgins" from Magnum, PI because I said "Om MY GOD!" when they put my tool chest in the women's bathroom, yet again.

My friends from the plant paused and said "You were the one at P Funk!"

I learned to laugh at myself many years ago! LOL

AdmiralB

We looked about as hip as members of the Bush Administration.

GHWB or GWB?

When I saw them in the late 70's in South Carolina

Whereabouts? Back then, it'd have been a big deal, right? So a bigger-city thing, Columbia, Charleston...Greenville/Spartanburg hadn't taken off yet, right (I lived in SC for a while in the '90-'91 timeframe)?

Leonc

Wild Gear Herder
Platinum Supporting Member
The funkiest LP I've ever heard is Thrust by Herbie Hancock. Mike Clarke's drumming was just un-freakin-real. The grooves, Herbie's synth work, Paul Jackson ridiculous bass lines, the arrangements. Jeez, soooo funky!!!

I love how Butterfly metamorphoses...

...into this master-funk-groove-masterpiece

The whole record is a freakin masterpiece!!!

NotWesYet

Silver Supporting Member
GHWB or GWB?

Whereabouts? Back then, it'd have been a big deal, right? So a bigger-city thing, Columbia, Charleston...Greenville/Spartanburg hadn't taken off yet, right (I lived in SC for a while in the '90-'91 timeframe)?

This was in Greenville at the old Textile Hall downtown...(long gone). The place was packed to the rafters. I also saw Mother's Finest and Average White Band there and then Earth, Wind and Fire in Columbia. Weather Report in Greensboro. George Benson in Charlotte. The Chuck Berry backed by Mother's Finest at Clemson with Marshall Tucker as the middle act.

The 70's were actually pretty cool here musically. I knew the guys from Marshall Tucker and got to sit in with them at a jam session. Nugent came through town. B.B. King, Bobby Blue Bland, Little Milton. I was 17 and gigging with some guys from NYC and Chicago in a Jazz Quintet. The sax player worked with Mingus for while. Joe Bennet, from the Rockabilly 50's hit "Black Slacks" was my guitar teacher... David Ball, who is now in Austin as a singer/songwriter was from town and we had a 40's jazz trio with him doing stuff like "Lady Be Good." My New Wave Band, the Detonators had a chance to open for the B-52 when Rock Lobster was a hit and REM played opposite weekends than us at the club in Charlotte, "Stonehenge."

DRS

Silver Supporting Member
Yes! Big +1 for James Brown!
I think James Brown is head and shoulders above everyone else except maybe Sly Stone - they're pretty close.
Go to 2:12 :)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom