Funky & Jazzy Wah~Wah Variations (Over a Sco Tune)

epluribus

Wow, thanks Joseph! Like I said, it's easy when the material makes it a cripple in the corner pocket. :)

12 wah's...so you only need about 87 more to be up to TGP standard for the year?

But isn't that the way of it? You go through all this fancy custom gear and end up back at a good old retail standard like the Polka Dot. Must be an obscure appellate court decision on some clause in Murphy's Law...

:beer

--Ray

scottl

Great video Joe! Well recorded and clear. Really got to hear the Wah's quality. Good playing. Looked chilly there!!! But you heated it up.....

My fingers hurt watching you play in the cold and you still make it soulful and effortless. It was fun watching the kids watch you play. Great post!

Lucidology

Wow, thanks Joseph! Like I said, it's easy when the material makes it a cripple in the corner pocket. :)

12 wah's...so you only need about 87 more to be up to TGP standard for the year?

But isn't that the way of it? You go through all this fancy custom gear and end up back at a good old retail standard like the Polka Dot. Must be an obscure appellate court decision on some clause in Murphy's Law...

:beer

--Ray
Murphy's Law Indeed Ray-Moan ... :YinYang

DøøG

A little too "drifty" for my tastes, lol...........:Devil

Anywhoo, soundin cool Joe! I'm no expert on the wah's, but clean like that reminds me of the old Morley wah, pretty wide sweep and almost dips in volume on some frequencies, gets a kind of swell to it too. Last wah I had was when I was a kid, a Farfisa wah which didn't have a real big sweep, but sounded great in front of a crunchin amp. More of a foot tone control almost.......

The Hamonica guy, lol. Now if I could only just do the look to get em to sit out, hahaha......jeeez......

DøøG

And another thing......

Hey nice tele! New? Whatcha got in it, etc. Been thinkin of getting a tele shaped body w/some buckers and a floyd. Had an old ESP tele with a mahogany body, maple top & a maple/rosewood neck. You would think it would sound completely different, but it still had that tele twang (but a lot fatter)...wish I still had it....

Lucidology

DøøG;10745925 said:
A little too "drifty" for my tastes, lol...........:Devil

Anywhoo, soundin cool Joe! I'm no expert on the wah's, but clean like that reminds me of the old Morley wah, pretty wide sweep and almost dips in volume on some frequencies, gets a kind of swell to it too. Last wah I had was when I was a kid, a Farfisa wah which didn't have a real big sweep, but sounded great in front of a crunchin amp. More of a foot tone control almost.......

The Hamonica guy, lol. Now if I could only just do the look to get em to sit out, hahaha......jeeez......
Yeah ,,, that "too drifty" comment was a first ... but it's proof he has good ears. :YinYang

That Buddy Guy wah can be a very expressive too ... bet you'd have fun with it ...!!

The City has five me strict instructions to not let Cat's who live on the street near the ocean sit in with me ...
Once you do, then they surround you & ward off potential sales for the Farmer's Market vendors ...

dsw67

Supporting Member
Yeah ,,, that "too drifty" comment was a first ... but it's proof he has good ears. :YinYang

That Buddy Guy wah can be a very expressive too ... bet you'd have fun with it ...!!

The City has five me strict instructions to not let Cat's who live on the street near the ocean sit in with me ...
Once you do, then they surround you & ward off potential sales for the Farmer's Market vendors ...
Sorry, but it sounds too out to me. I understand playing outside, but there's usually more of a tension release thing happening, which I don't hear in that clip. I hear tension without a satisfying resolution in some of your lines.

Was there supposed to be a 100% positive only consensus?

Nothing personal really. If you want, send me the backing track and the changes and I'll be happy to have a go at it. And you can critique it all you like. :)

Last edited:

Lucidology

Sorry, but it sounds too out to me. I understand playing outside, but there's usually more of a tension release thing happening, which I don't hear in that clip. I hear tension without a satisfying resolution in some of your lines.

Was there supposed to be a 100% positive only consensus?

Nothing personal really. If you want, send me the backing track and the changes and I'll be happy to have a go at it. And you can critique it all you like. :)
Oh I wasn't being negative toward your comment at all ...
In fact I welcomed it .. plus I honestly meant it when I said U have good ears ...
was not trying to be facetious ...
It's not the first time someone doesn't hear like I might ...
& that's totally cool ...

We all hear things differently ... thank God ...

DøøG

Oh I wasn't being negative toward your comment at all ...
In fact I welcomed it .. plus I honestly meant it when I said U have good ears ...
was not trying to be facetious ...
It's not the first time someone doesn't hear like I might ...
& that's totally cool ...

We all hear things differently ... thank God ...
I was poking a little fun, cuz if you want too "drifty" or "out", I could point him in a few different directions, lol....

True, one man's slightly out may be another's "way out there" or "too out there" or vicey versey, and sure, if we all heard things the same, a pretty booo-ring place this would be....

Lucidology

ivers said:
Hey, Joseph, how you doing man!

Regarding the clip:

First off, the streets hereabouts don't have guitar players like that!

I really dug the melodic use of the wah, with the chords in there. That kind of reminded me of a beautiful tune by David Binney which is called "Marvin Gaye". Have you heard that one?

Your phrasing in those less notey parts is wonderful, and for me the wah does its magic most effective there. Nothing wrong with the quicker lines though, because they are good lines, and you execute them well.

I'm mostly woodshedding flamenco these days, and it's murdering me, but in a good way, if that makes any sense at all.
Thanks my good man ... Never have heard that David Binney tune but will look it up for sure ...

Can't wait to hear U play Flamenco ... you're such a commited student of guitar I know you'll sound great ... :YinYang

Lucidology

Joe, this clip is going to make me buy a Buddy Guy Wah. How does it work without the compressor?
U would sound extremely cool using this very clean wah ...
Hell no it doesn't need a compressor,,, that's just part of my pedal arsenal..

Glad to be an influence upon U, Chuck on the other guys ...
A good clean wah like this also comes close to working a bit like a volume pedal ..
Really fun to play with ...:YinYang

epluribus

U would sound extremely cool using this very clean wah ...
Hell no it doesn't need a compressor,,, that's just part of my pedal arsenal..

Glad to be an influence upon U, Chuck on the other guys ...
A good clean wah like this also comes close to working a bit like a volume pedal ..
Really fun to play with ...:YinYang
No comp...that explains the soft dynamic range. You goin' comp-less more these days?

--Ray

Trending Topics